Portable Gas Cooker Warning

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Re: Portable Gas Cooker Warning

Unread post by jfoldbar » April 12th, 2015, 6:45 am

Shaker4x4 wrote:
Because, and that's why :urgh:
thankyou for the deep and meaningful explanation. i now have a thorough understanding of someone elses point of view.

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » April 12th, 2015, 11:04 am

You're welcome! :drink: Everyone has a point of view sure, but it's their choice if they don't want to exert themselves expressing it :lol: Too much effort for a blasé' statement. Enjoy.

rmoore
Been here a while

Unread post by rmoore » July 28th, 2015, 2:01 pm

So, where can I buy one currently?

I have read all the warnings & news items, but caveat emptor - buyer beware - is a strong feature for me.

I've looked on gumtree & ebay but to no avail.
Mazda BT50 DualCab XT auto, new in April 2012. ARB bar, side rails, steps, suspension. Redarc trailer brakes. Anti-spinifex plate. Lightforce HID's. Extra 5 micron fuel filter. Custom Al canopy on ute. Designed as a touring rig.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » July 28th, 2015, 2:12 pm

rmoore wrote:So, where can I buy one currently?

I have read all the warnings & news items, but caveat emptor - buyer beware - is a strong feature for me.

I've looked on gumtree & ebay but to no avail.
So am I reading this right? You want to buy it more so because there's a warning about it?

buffer
Avid Poster

Unread post by buffer » July 28th, 2015, 4:24 pm

Mat be banned, and told not to use but when watching 4wd action issue 236, it was featured cooking yabbies.
100 series 4.2TD, 2" lift, ARB twin lockers, Safari snorkel, ARB winch bar with brushbars and sidesteps, 12000lb winch, supernova driving lights and custom made aluminium rack with awning, ARB dual rear bar, dual batteries, Airbag assists rear.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » July 28th, 2015, 6:41 pm

Shaker4x4 wrote:Never liked them anyway. I've also been weary of the compact ones you pierce into the small butane canister. I think they may be prone to leakage if knocked in transit etc.
Re the ones you piece, I still have the very one I use to use in the Army. When these became known everyone opted for these for three reason. They don't shed a lot of light as compared to the hexy tablets (for tactical reasons), easy lighting and nice and quiet. But mainly for the ease of use. Mine has had every situation thrown at it and it still works like new. Never had or heard of a mishap with one of these. Having said that though, mine is probably of better quality due to the era it was made. I guess like a lot of things, more modern ones might not have that good old quality factor. Ill now and again, for no other reason other than nostalgic ones, fire it up and use my first issued Cups Cantine and make a brew. Cheers. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dmax001
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by dmax001 » January 30th, 2018, 7:42 am

these cookers exploding is somewhat worrying. Has anyone personally purchased one of these cookers below?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-5347 ... SwZKBZLuD7

It all looks half decent and pretty well priced. But i personally dont want the thing exploding in my face or anyone elses for that matter.

Whats everyones recommendations?

Cheers

Brett Mcleod
Here and there

Unread post by Brett Mcleod » January 30th, 2018, 12:26 pm

I have 3 of them and never had any issues with mine in the 15 or so years i have owned and used them, i have seen some of them explode on a few occasions, once while visiting summernats i saw a couple of them go up with a bang, the reason they exploded was misuse as both persons had removed the cookers from there plastic carry cases and then set the cookers up on top of the carry case, the heat melted the carry case causing the plastic case to catch fire heating up the gas can causing it to explode, its the same effect as throwing an aerosol can in a camp fire.
use them correctly & and responsibly & you should have no issues, i have three different branded ones & have never had a problem with either of them.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 30th, 2018, 2:34 pm

There was a period, a couple of years back now, where a fairly extensive bunch of really cheaply made & definitely 'non-complying' gas stoves like those were banned because they were deemed dangerous & recalled, and the stoppage of all sales OF THOSE occurred while they tracked down & crushed all the offending units they could find...... late 2015 IIRC; maybe it'd pay to check the date of the thread start & most of the posts in it for a good idea of when this happened?!

However, the makers of the better quality gas stoves back then very quickly showed that theirs DID in fact comply with the current AUST Standards and were quite safe to use if their stoves were used properly & iaw their safe use instructions..... ie, without being an idiot re what/where you were trying to cook/heat & using correctly sized cooking containers; and their versions remained on the market & have continued selling strongly since!

Bearing in mind that this thread started out back when there WAS an issue with the cheaply made crappy knock-offs, issues that either didn't ever apply at all to the better made units or were overcome by the manufacturers of the better quality units that are still on sale & remain legit to date, almost 3 years later; I suggest that if you look for an Aust Design sticker dated after about Sept 2015 & don't buy one of the cheapie un-labelled chinese knock-off versions from anywhere online & especially from the $1 shop or that sleazy guy who sells camping gear behind the pub; and just so long as you only use it to heat stuff in containers of the correct size (ie, no bigger in dia than the metal stand around the gas ring) & in the recommended manner, then there's a good chance you won't have any issues with one of these! Oh, and NO, it doesn't matter how good it is, gas stoves are NEVER SAFE to use propped open inside a closed car, on a pile ovv rubbish in the tinder dry bush, or while you or it are precariously balanced anywhere, even if it's the back seat.... well, any seat really!! ;)

I've got a few of the good quality units, they've worked well over the years & continue to work well; mine have never been banned or recalled, they've never failed to work as designed & when necessary, altho there have been a few occasions when the temp or altitude or other condition has meant that they've taken a little longer to do what I wanted them to; and over thousands of hours (if not more!!) of cooking for me &for a range of tour groups, not once has one of mine ever started a fire or blown up..... burnt a few tea towels & even possibly a meal or two, OK, yeah, I hafta admit that may have occurred once or twice,l but that's generally an operator error with an easy fix! :p
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Camp Cooking”