My First SAF

smithkt93
I'm new, be nice!

My First SAF

Unread post by smithkt93 » November 18th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Thidms is my second fourby and my first SAF after my '99 LN167 was stolen off the side of the highway... R.I.P.

I bought her for $7000 off a guy that had set it up to tow a caravan, but unfortunately the 22R couldn't handle the weight. It is a petrol :cry: and I would've preferred one with a 3L, but the motor was rebuilt 70,000 ago and it was one of the cleanest rigs I looked at for the price. The guy really babied and looked after it.

Mods include:
  • Bullbar
  • Sidesteps
  • Hella spotties (don't know which model)
  • Flexiglass Challenge tray & canopy
  • 31x10.5 Bridgestone Desert Duelers
  • 2" OzTec suspension lift
  • OzTec steering damper
  • Rear airbags
  • 2.5" custom exhaust (and possibly extractors)
  • 80 channel Oricom UHF

The rear diff was also rebuilt about 20,000 ago from memory and the chassis and driveline is pretty immaculate for it's age. Inside the cab has been carpeted over the original vinyl and has had new speakers and a headunit installed.

My plans are to keep it pretty much the same and set it up as a tourer. Future mods I plan to do are:
  • 3L or 1UZ engine swap
  • 3" EFS Comfort Ride suspension lift
  • RUF and IFS rear leafs
  • 33x12.5 muddies
  • Roof basket (on canopy racks)
  • High steer conversion
  • Rear disc brake conversion
  • Comp style bullbar (possibly Raslarr or XROX)
  • Dual battery setup
  • E-Locker
  • Diff breathers
  • LED light bar (for roof basket)
I also wouldn't mind getting the dash repaired as there are the usual cracks, and it could use a new pair of wiper arms as the original ones have seen better days. Pretty sure the flywheel either needs to be machined or replaced also, so might as well get a HD clutch installed when I get that done. Other than that it's a nice, capable rig.

I took it out to the Glasshouse tracks and gave it a bit of a bash, and it performed a lot better than my previous IFS Hilux, so I'm very happy with it.

Anyways, thanks for reading. I'll keep posting as I upgrade bits and pieces and hopefully I can get some other ideas and help from the people on here :waycool:
Last edited by smithkt93 on February 2nd, 2018, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deans4by

Re: Lulu the LN106 Hilux - My First SAF

Unread post by Deans4by » November 18th, 2017, 8:25 pm

G'Day & welcome to the forum.
Nice looking Lux you got.
Keep the updates coming
Who cares what 4wd you have just get out and use it.
MK Triton 2.8L TD a few mods goes alright.

smithkt93
I'm new, be nice!

Re: My First SAF

Unread post by smithkt93 » February 2nd, 2018, 8:44 am

Diff breathers done! It took me probably 1.5 hours, most of which was running the hose neatly around the chassis and up into the engine bay. I used the BRC kit which comes with everything you need (breather, hose, fittings and zip ties) and cost $170 off eBay.

Breather unit

Rear diff

Front diff

smithkt93
I'm new, be nice!

Re: My First SAF

Unread post by smithkt93 » February 6th, 2018, 11:17 pm

Went to Glasshouse with a crew from Elite Breed 4x4 on the weekend. It was the sloppiest I've ever seen it after the decent rainfall. The mud took it's toll on the 22R and I'm now in the process of changing all the belts, which would have been a lot less of a process if the screw in the alternator adjustment bracket didn't snap off on me.

I had a good time anyways, although I would have liked to do a few more climbs/driving... But I guess that's the price you pay when you go wheeling with a large group and with there being so many recoveries in the mud.

One of the guys partners got some good pics.

Return to “Utes”