Tetanus - 96 Hilux with a 3UZ-FE V8 Build

jgrov2
Here and there

Re: Tetanus - 96 Hilux with a 3UZ-FE V8 Build

Unread post by jgrov2 » January 11th, 2016, 4:59 pm

IMG_3418.JPG
Also going to have issues with the oil sump and the axle/diff housing so Im thinking of either trying to find a front sump from other UZ motors, getting or making a custom sump to fit or homebrewing a dry sump setup. At least there will be plenty of room for rad and fans up front.
IMG_3422.JPG
IMG_3421.JPG
IMG_3423.JPG
Im pretty bad at explaining stuff I learn and understand more visually hence the 5 million pictures etc if anyone wants info or more pictures just let me know
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4.3L V8 LN106 Hilux Thread - viewtopic.php?f=189&t=159892

jgrov2
Here and there

Unread post by jgrov2 » February 11th, 2016, 9:27 pm

been flat out with other ***** lately but slowly making progress.

Fuel tank is plumbed and mounted with wiring accessible. engine has been moved again and powersteering pump and box now clear and the fittings and hose also fit well. left with about 40-50mm of room for an electric thermo if i go with a new alloy rad that is stock replacement. Need to weld in the exhaust as best I can than finish wiring and hopefully turn her over.

Also been putting my birthday present together and putting the winch on her.

Last major hurdle now is deciding wtf to do about the oil pan. Tossing up whether to go custom, front or rear sump swap, or homemade drysump. Ill just keep thinking about it for now.

Finally if someone would like to buy me a haltech elite 2500 that would be fine as well. **** I want one bad.

jgrov2
Here and there

Unread post by jgrov2 » April 12th, 2016, 10:48 am

Ok so I know havent been on in a while progress has ground to a halt, Ive recently had to have a ligament reconstruction in my knee and Im 4 weeks out of surgery today, cant walk yet still on crutches. Still bit of an update and where we are at.

As it stands motor is in and bolts, gearbox is in no crossmember yet and transfer is on the ass end.
Im plumbed up the steering and water so that we can turn it over and test run to make sure the wiring plus any other nigglies are out of the way before we get too permanent in the engine bay.
Interior has been completely stripped out from the inside for two reasons, one the wiring is a mess and some wires have melted together so that will need to be replaced. Secondly, when I first got her, the aircon wasnt working so we had the windows down and needless to say half the worlds supply of dust is inside the cab and accumulated around the ac evaporator and the recirclating fan. Ive completely stripped these components down and cleaned about 50 kgs of bull dust out of the old girl and also replaced what looked to be a small dead animal acting as an ac filter.

Next steps from here will be to test fire the engine make sure it turns over and my wiring is correct. After that we can install the rad properly and rout plumbing. At the same time Ill also start designing a cross member myself in cad similar to aftermarket ones just with the holes placed where I need them. Ill get this sent off and bent and hopefully not have to sell an organ to pay for it.

After that is complete Ill start thinking about an exhaust. Still unsure whether to have a crack myself, I probably should, It just seems like a pay in the ass because Im going to have to do from the end of the headers all the way back. Ive got the original cats, they look fine if finaces permit I might opt for high flow but not a priority. Im running 2 1/4 inch pipes from cats into a single 2 1/2 inch collector with a cherry bomb vortex or similar muffler.

Brakes are 100% finished finally after installing the 1 inch master cylinder, pedal travel feels great so It will be interesting to see how the new pads and rotors go.

Thinking about red silicon hoses for engine bay such as these flexible bad boys
http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/19mm-s ... etres.html

Also twin wide bands to help with tuning later down the track and to give a sort of early warning/indication of how the engine is running
http://highway66speedshop.shop033.com/p ... -3891.html

spal fan for the rad because we need best possible performance cooling wise (I still worry its not enough)
http://www.xtremeautoparts.com.au/shop/ ... 7p3246.htm

Also breathers for diffs, tansfer and gearbox (I like these ones the best, look neat and still have shielding around incase I flood the engine bay)

That would probably do to get it running, Im absolutely chomping at the bit to get out and go camping again so it needs to be running asap not to mention all the jobs around the house I got piling up because I cant walk and I need the ute for landscaping our house.

Few things to sort out later down the road, will have to design custom sump, the front sumps are few and far between and demanding a pretty penny now everyone wants one so It will be easier If I design my own. Also have to pick water temp, oil temp/pressure gauges not sure what style but I thinking something that looks kinda oem because Im going with a neat stealth look. Ideally my overall aim is to make the old girl look stock with a simple interior and nothing too extreme on the outside. Under the hood is going to be a fucking party with stainless intake pipes, the engine and red silicon. Im going to hide/tuck as much wiring and plumbing as possible. Sister in law is an auto painter for bmw and is praticing air brushing so I going to get her to paint a murial type job on the underside of the bonnet. Thinking the rising sun flag and maybe some cherry blossoms something like that she can just do what she likes with it. Im going to relocate both batteries under the tray to keep them cool and free up bay space. Also got to knock out some rock sliders, design and draw up a flat tray and replace the two piece rear shaft with a one piece eventually.

Im going to fab up a custom switch panel as well because the ones out are a bit wanky and too big. Im just going for simple toggle switches and a winch control panel. Switches with try to keep to a minimum but include, rad fan off for crossings, spotties and light bar probably combined into one, winch power on, momentary winch in/out toggle or two push buttons and that will hopefully cover it. Ill also add a cig lighter socket and the new one thats name escapes me right now, plus a battery voltage gauge with individual led each to light up when a batt has low voltage.

Wiring side I need to finish the headlight harness for the upgraded lights, another harness for spotties and light bar, relocate all the fuses and relays into one spot and wire up the signals to dash.

Much further down the track, Im going to replace the seats with either recaros or cordeau suspension seats. Also if I ever make the tray, Ill have it sit a bit higher than normal to try and squeeze in a water tank, air tank and fuel tank. Big ask I know but would only be small one of each to add capacity. Also a rear tyre swing if I keep the style side to relocate the spare. Also need to find some space for power steering cooler and engine oil cooler which Im hoping might be either beside the radiator either side or behind the bullbar wings kind of infront of each wheel but behind some armour so they dont break easy. Can only decide once a few more things are finalised.

Thanks for bearing with me I know its a novel but hey its better to get the thoughts out of my head and hear peoples opinions and thoughts.
Cheers

jgrov2
Here and there

Unread post by jgrov2 » December 7th, 2016, 10:15 pm

Another long overdue update. Progress is slow and life has gotten in the way. Been struggling with my knee and Uni is getting ridiculous at this stage being 3rd year mechanical. Also my fiancee is 18 weeks pregnant so thats been our main focus. Ive had to fix a few things around our house before I can keep on with this but Im getting stuck back in. Also managed to get my motorbike licence since last update as well so Im keeping my eye out for a bike but money is getting short at this stage.

Back on topic, Ive been constantly battling the vehicle wiring harness with shorts throughout and half ass patch jobs but I think ive managed to rewire it now and converted all the lights to LEDs except the headlights which I created a big ass wiring harness to improve the voltage drop and allow larger bulbs ie 50/80W H4. Ive also picked up a few SR5 parts from a 4runner being the rear view mirror with map lights. Ive also pulled the head liner and lined it with my own proprietary noise and heat insulation. Managed to line it and get it back up and reattached feels nice and thick and expensive lol. Previously the roof consisted of 2mm sheet metal and a single piece of vinyl so anything is an upgrade.
Hopefully tomorrow Ill finally get the vehicle harness and engine harness connected together and be ready to finalise and sheath the cables. Ive also got the winch and bullbar on and radiator and fan sorted with pics to follow. Had to pull the steering wheel to pull the dash and **** me dead the steering wheel had cold welded itself to the splined shaft. I ended up surgically removing it with a grinder and dremel and only slightly cut the shaft so hopefully it wont matter but I need to find a new wheel now. Still tossing up what to do for cross member under the gear box but I think Ill leave that to last as I have a lot of freedom with its design. Anyway, hopefully it will be running and moving under its own steam before the end of the year. I hope to update more regularly now although Ive still got a few things on the go, need to dress my entire yard as its mostly clay and dries right out so I have massive cracks forming around the base of my house which aint good, plus Ive got a new over, stovetop and rangehood which needs to go into the kitchen. Plus the babies room currently consists of 10 odd boxes full of ***** we never unpacked plus everything that didnt go into another room so I need to clear that as well.

Im still not happy with the rad and fan setup and the power steering setup. Currently not enough clearance for my liking for both systems and the rad seems like a generic heap of ***** which I doubt its effectiveness but we will see.

Return to “Utes”