First 4x4 Ute - '01 MK Triton

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Re: First 4x4 Ute - '01 MK Triton

Unread post by jsroberts8 » September 4th, 2014, 12:12 pm

After getting the car home and it starting every time, I thought id drive to work and then drop it off to the mechanic after work. it then decided to not start after work. The battery sounded full and it was turning like normal, it just wouldn't engage. I tried using jumper leads (just thought it would be worth a go) and the car started but ran really dodgy. I couldn't actually drive properly as it would rev really low and almost conk out. So, I gave the battery terminals a squeeze and all is good again. So, all of this because of bad battery terminals???? I dropped it off at the mechanic after changing the terminals just so he could run the computer and check anything else out, and it all came back good. So, still driving and doesn't seem to be anything wrong. Woo Hoo!

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » September 9th, 2014, 6:49 pm

had the aircon re-gassed today. Thankfully that was all that was needed and not a new compressor. I almost had to put on a jumper on the way home it was that good! :lol:

This is officially the first car I have owned as a daily driver that had working aircon - what a luxury! haha :woohoo:

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » September 9th, 2014, 6:52 pm

:rolleyes: I still haven't connected the compressor and tank - still getting my head around it and collecting parts. Getting close - just need some time. luckily, I have a few weeks off in 2 weeks time so hopefully it will be done then. then to try out the locker

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » September 9th, 2014, 7:06 pm

Cant wait to see you poke it at something requiring lockers. Good stuff man. Glad to see its coming along.
Boof
Somewhere in a land downunder...

Mods: plenty
To do: plenty more

My camper build - viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153623

big nut
Here and there

Unread post by big nut » October 11th, 2014, 12:00 pm

if your triton keeps giving you erratic starting and idle, or konking out mid drive I would suggest the problem is actually your mass air flow sensor off the airbox.
mine started doing exactly what you described after some steep 4x4 work a week or two ago. eventually a code logged with the ecu, which showed the mass air flow sensor was causing the issue. it was pulled and cleaned with some sensor safe degreaser and that seems to have solved the issue.

cheers
kev

ps, nice ute

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » October 12th, 2014, 1:54 am

Just had a thought man, i have done three fuel pumps in mine, last two due to s h i t t y fuel and having to fill up wherever die to the miles i had to travel to work. The first one though, was due to the fuel pump wiring harness pooping itself in the tank on the pump connections thus burning it out right back to the fuse box. Mission to detect, and about 400 bucks to fix after the pain of diagnostic inabilty. I also have the issue of the harness plug falling to pieces where it commects to the pp housing on the top of the tank now, has been there a while but have zip tied it to where it contacts and no longer have trouble. Food for thought. Hope you got it sorted, and was gar simpler than expected.
Boof
Somewhere in a land downunder...

Mods: plenty
To do: plenty more

My camper build - viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153623

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » February 16th, 2015, 10:57 pm

Well, after being logged out for the past few months and not being able to get back on - i finally had a new password sent from admin and im back!

Since my last post, not a lot has happened. I did take the triton for a road trip with the family camping from the gold coast to coffs harbour. Really enjoyed pebbly beach and a few other beaches along the way.

The car went well and had no issues at all. Until i came back and started having a few starting issues...I got really frustrated as it seemed as though the car was finally working well and then this happened. Thankfully, after giving the starter motor a whack it started and the next day i had a new starter motor put in. Turned out to be quite a mission thanks to a seized bolt.

Other than that, there are a few little clunks iv started noticing when i drive up the gutter and the wheels are turned. Started in the passenger front wheel, and now i both front wheels...any ideas what this could be?

Duke1340
Been here a while

Unread post by Duke1340 » February 17th, 2015, 4:41 pm

Hi,

I just finished reading through all of your posts, it's great to see that you got over all of the hurdles and are now out enjoying your ute.

I'm in the process of finishing my own MK Triton dual cab, and can't wait to get it off road finally.

Like yourself I had issues with the build, the worst being, after purchasing it and using it as my daily driver for about 4 weeks I took it out to do some dirt tracks only to find out that it didn't have any four wheel drive!!!

With the information given by the guys here on the forum I fitted manual hubs plus some other small mods, now it's all good.

Hope to have all my upgrades done soon so we can get out and have some fun.

Doing the Simpson (west to east) in April.

I'll keep an eye out for you on the Gold Coast.

Cheers
Rod (Duke)
"Adventure Before Dementia"

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » February 17th, 2015, 9:46 pm

Hey Duke - neat looking truck you have there. How was the manual hub swap? It is on my list to do at some point. Apparently it makes the whole system so much more reliable.

What else have you done in prep for the simson? Also - is it the 3L? Id be keen on seeing how it goes as it is on my list of trips to do

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » February 17th, 2015, 9:52 pm

Here are a few pics from the most recent trip to coffs.

Duke1340
Been here a while

Unread post by Duke1340 » February 18th, 2015, 3:36 pm

Hi,

It's a 3lt petrol, and it's still a work in progress, but this is what we have so far:

Rear seat removed and replaced with ply sheet to hold the fridge/freezer;
Swapped out the standard Triton bull bar for a winch bar;
I built a set of drawers in the tray;
Extended shackles on the rear;
Toolboxes in the back on top of the drawers;
Gerry can holders on the back of the tool boxes;
A 140lt aux fuel tank that slides in between the two tool boxes;
On board air compressor;
I built a roof basket that holds a 3m awning, high lift jack, shovel, and Maxxtrax, and
Have done the manual hub swap.

Still to come:

Fit a snorkel;
Mount the winch, and
Wire up a dual battery set up.

Then we should be ready to go, the seat out fridge in option is just for this trip, the fridge will go into the camper trailer (when I finish building it).

Cheers
Rod (Duke)

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » March 5th, 2015, 7:57 am

Well after putting off the job of installing some switches, I have taken the first step by creating a plate to mount them all. Thanks to a new laser cutting machine at work, my original plan of using acrylic and a copping saw has been replaced with 2 minutes in front of the computer. Here is the end result - much neater and quicker than I could ever do!

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » March 5th, 2015, 8:03 am

I have 4 switches to go in so ill need to think of something extra to add to the panel. So far I need to install the switches for:
Compressor
spot lights
rear diff lock
camp light

I have 2 spots left - not sure what ill use it for yet, but ill get some blanks to put in for now

Now I have somewhere to place the switch there is no excuse to put it off any longer!

Duke1340
Been here a while

Unread post by Duke1340 » March 8th, 2015, 7:23 am

Hi,

The ute is looking a little different now.
The manual hub change was easy thanks to all the information supplied by the guys on this forum.
I mounted my switches in the recess in the console.
Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 6.58.41 am.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 6.59.08 am.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 7.10.12 am.png
You could put a fridge switch in.

Cheers
Rod (Duke)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » March 9th, 2015, 7:30 am

Ahh Duke - looks like you have been busy. How are the drawers going? Letting any water in? I would like some drawers but then don't really want to add a canopy - so your solution might work.

That is the same spot I will be adding my switches. Fridge - might be a good idea. I need a dual battery first! I'm thinking a winch will take one slot one day and fridge will take the other. But that's more money down the line

Return to “Utes”