First 4x4 Ute - '01 MK Triton

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Re: First 4x4 Ute - '01 MK Triton

Unread post by jsroberts8 » August 4th, 2014, 9:35 am

Wow petrol is expensive when you have 135L! I guess i will only have to do it once a fortnight though. Spent the weekend looking at local 4x4 stores (we have so many here on the Gold Coast) and have a long list of items i want. I also found new light covers for the spotties for $5 each instead of $30 each. The same guy also reduced an led work light half price for me so that needs to be put on soon too. I am really bad with electrical wiring so im doing a lot of reading before i get into it. I have actually wired up a DIY led light for my fish tank and about 5 different guitars, however i still have such limited knowledge. Im thinking of just purchasing a wiring harness of ebay - saves a lot of time and thinking. Supercheap want $100 - ebay only $16. Is it safe to use these cheap harnesses? I know you get what you pay for but seriously - that is a big difference in price.

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » August 7th, 2014, 7:47 am

So i was driving to work today, car has had no issues at all over the past few days, then suddenly i started hearing a jackhammer-like sound. It was fairly faint and sounded exactly like when you pass roadworks, except this followed me. it was a tinny kind of sound that followed the pattern of a jackhammer. It also was only there when moving. It would stop at the lights and then fade in and get louder as i started to move quicker. I should also mention that the sound was coming from the direction of the rear passenger window. Yesterday i had a new tailshaft centre bearing and uni joint put on so im not sure if this could have anything to do with it???

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 7th, 2014, 11:56 am

Have you checked to see if anyone's put a zip tie on your tailshaft?? Or maybe left a bolt loose/undone on the work done yesterday??
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » August 7th, 2014, 1:03 pm

had a quick look on my lunch break - couldn't see anything noticeable. The tail shaft seems a little looser than normal, but nothing major. It sounds a little like there is metal rubbing against metal, so im wondering if it needs any time to settle in???

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » August 9th, 2014, 6:27 pm

the bush had completely disintegrated and dissapeared. So that explains the clunking noise. Replaced it this arvo and it is all sorted. Was a pain of a job...the long range tank was too close and could only just squeeze off without the bush - and impossible with the new bush in place (as you may be able to see below)

In the end, i had to place the bush up top and then try to push the shock onto it....mission! But i got there in the end without having to move the fuel tank. I can see the previous owner of this car didnt do this one because it was so hard, because every other bush was in much better condition

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » August 14th, 2014, 3:10 pm

Well i purchased a compressor and tank yesterday to install. Hopefully get some time this weekend to install it. Otherwise im heading south to Ballina to drive along the beach. Tough decision!

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » August 19th, 2014, 7:49 am

It was time to get the car off road again - this time along the beach. Unfortunately when we woke up it was the wettest day we have had on the gold coast in a month. Kids were packed in and the tires were let down, ready for a good day. Thankfully, we had a dry day and then it poured on the way home, cleaning the underside of our cars! Perfect! Here are a few (boring) pics

Im still wondering about painting the alloy bullbar and sports bar black...or i could polish it up to shiny again - thoughts???

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » August 23rd, 2014, 3:11 pm

Said it once and will say it again - polish it!!!!

Looking good man, credit to your persistance when many would have given it away as a bad joke. Kudos to ya mate!!
Boof
Somewhere in a land downunder...

Mods: plenty
To do: plenty more

My camper build - viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153623

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » August 23rd, 2014, 7:38 pm

haha, yea you do like polished dont you....i was thinking i might try polish, then if i dont like it i can paint it. Much harder to go from black to polished!

I am planning a trip with some mates out to crystal creek next weekend and after all this rain it should be fun! Hoping to get the compressor in before then so i can use the rear locker :)

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » August 23rd, 2014, 9:49 pm

From the pics it don't look too bad. Go to bunnings get some really fine steel wool, like the finest stuf there, and just give it a gentle rub all over (bad jokes inserted here lol), then hook in with the autosol aluminium polish (bout $9 from notsosupercheap) using a fairly coarse but still soft rag ie a tea towel, until it get a sooty style residue. Then get yourself a much finer cloth ie a microfibre thingy then rub like buggery (more bad jokes inserted here :lol:) until it polishes out. It will take a while, but not as long as if you paint it and don't like it! Have a six pack handy - you will drink em all easily in the time it takes to get it done.

Cheers bro,
Boof

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » August 25th, 2014, 10:15 am

haha, that might be my exercise for the month!

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » August 25th, 2014, 11:28 pm

Lifting your arm up and down and leaning into the esky or fridge?

Now thats my kind of exercise!! :drink:
Boof

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » August 25th, 2014, 11:30 pm

Or was it the other exercise..........

Wait a minute....... :lol:
Boof

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » August 26th, 2014, 11:48 am

haha, i was referring to the polishing.... :crazy: but lifting the esky will help also :)

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » August 29th, 2014, 7:50 pm

Went out to City View (Scenic Rim) today with a group of 13 cars. We had everything from a rav4 to a fully modified 4.2 turbo GQ so there were cars going in all directions. There was a bit of carnage across the day, however it was good fun. I was impressed with the triton as this was the first real test for it. It handled everything perfectly and outdid a lot of other cars....then when driving along a flat road, it decided to stop. after checking all the obvious...we ended up assuming it was a fuel issue. Fuse was fine and after the mission of dropping the fuel tank with 100L in it, we realised the pump was ok too. Lifted the tank back up and tried the car again and it started! :irked: Still dont know what it was but ill be heeading to the mechanic on monday and hopefully it is something simple. Almost had to leave my car at the top of a mountain and 2 hours away from home.

Anyway, we got home and had a great day with the family and friends. had the park to ourselves (on a public holiday) and found some great tracks. Accidently went up a black (extreme) track thinking it was an easy blue track.The rav 4 turned around very quickly....haha. But the triton made it up easy so i was very happy. Here are a few pics of the day:)

He snapped his rim when this wheel landed....shards flew right off the rim.

Return to “Utes”