First 4x4 Ute - '01 MK Triton

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Re: First 4x4 Ute - '01 MK Triton

Unread post by Boof mk triton » July 16th, 2014, 7:27 pm

Mate i love the tough dog gear. I cant rate it high enough for value for money and price. The foamies i have are 41mm front and 40mm adjustable in the rear - the will stiffen the ride considerably over the shitty kyb standard crap but have never ever ever suffered fade over corrogations and rough stuff. Bought mine to suit 2" of lift so really with the tbars wound up a bit i am not getting full use out of them - soon to change with the purchase of some hd tough dog items and a re- index - when i can afford it. Not that its dear at 280 buck for the pair but in the process of doong a top end rebuild on a vectra which i got for the missus. Hopefully get that done soon so i can get back to important thing like modifying my ute :lol:

Just dong in tough dog mk triton on fleabay and you will get the listing for them bars. I bought my shocks for 700 bucks landed for the lot at tjm in mildura as i was working tgere at the time and managed to crystalize the old ones lol. That price will be a bit cheaper back up here in qld especially round the coast / south bris area. They will rub a bit on the outer upper tube on the back and the fronts can be tough to get the new bushes in so what i did was run the new bush on the bottom and the old one on top so it would settle then replaced the top one after a bit.

As for extended shackles, just put some snake racing 2" extendeds in - holy flex! Just beware if you rwc officer knows his shite, you wont get it roadied. Not entirely legal but they are that well built its a wonder why they arent. Bar the bleeding obvious though hahaha. 230 bucks plus postage www.snakeracing.com.au

As for rear springs been told that fulcrum are one of the best theres a toowoomba mob advertising on flea bay as well - just get there number off the listing and give em a bell. Barring that how bout you talk noice to the outlaws and see if the can stump you some dobinsons springs..... :D

Hope that sump doesnt stop the progress.
Cheers bro, have a good one, let is kmow how u get on.
Boof
Somewhere in a land downunder...

Mods: plenty
To do: plenty more

My camper build - viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153623

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » July 22nd, 2014, 5:19 pm

Well, bad news....after a lot of investigating - the mechanic is recommending a new engine. He is saying there is enough damage done to the engine already that it just isnt worth trying to fix it. He has quoted 1250 for the engine and around 5-6 hours of labor - which seems quite reasonable. My question now is....if im up for a few grand, should i investigate looking at a 3.5 conversion? Or maybe even diesel? I know both are possible but is it going to jump up the price a lot? Im guessing most people who have done these conversions have done it at home themselves where time and labor isnt going to pump up the price.

so, my questions to all of you, if you were in this position, what would you do???? Straight swap or conversion?

hughb
Getting to know the place

Unread post by hughb » July 23rd, 2014, 8:42 am

Personally i love my diesel. If i were in your position and cash flow allowed, i'd convert too diesel with a hi-flowed turbo
and decent sized intercooler. Performance wise it would probably only match the stock petrol though with some extra torque.
Intelligence is like a four-wheel drive. It only allows you to get stuck in more remote places

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » July 23rd, 2014, 9:27 am

Ahh violet, what a peonie. Myself, it'd be either a straight swap or now that your gonna spend some money, go the 3.5 or even if you want to muck around, maybe go the 3.8 hehe. There's a thread in the Triton section where one fella has done both and he gives a pretty run down on it as well. All depends on your preference of fuel I guess. Both have their pros and cons but I like my petrol, as thirsty as the bloody thing is - opinion only. Do a bit of research before diving in. I know I would want to do something right away, but get into discussion with your mechanic and see what he's capable of and where his strengths lie, how much to spend, and how soon you want it back. $$$ and wants should be first thoughts, because $$$ will give the difference between inspiration and aspiration! Most of all, once you make up your mind what's gonna work for you, see if you can watch over what happens with it, if you have that sort of work relationship with your mechanic, and you will learn a bucket more about your toy. Hope all ends well man. Good luck.
Boof

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » July 23rd, 2014, 9:47 am

thanks mate - ill have a look around and see what i find. It is my daily driver and at the moment the wife is dropping me to work so a quick return is important, however i want to do it right. The straight swap is certainly the cheapest and quickest option, just need to weigh up the benefits to a more powerful engine. Is the 3.5/ 3.8 much thirstier?

Hughb

I like the idea of diesel, just not sure on how much is involved in swapping over. I know it can be done however it seems quite a process.

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » July 23rd, 2014, 9:53 am

From all reports both are quite bit better on fuel. But note someome with a dyno will be your best mate if you do it and want it tuned correctly. I will find that link buddy.

Edit: Heres that link man

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=113767

Have a read - plenty of photos and some good descriptions too. Cheers
Boof

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » July 23rd, 2014, 10:39 am

awsome - good reading...do you think the 3.8 would be putting much strain on the drivetrain being more powerful? Seems not to cause too many issues from what i find. I like the 3.5 becuase the engine is much cheaper to purchase than the 3.0. Seems i can find the 3.5 for around $500 and the 3.0 for $1250

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » July 23rd, 2014, 1:12 pm

Look for a 3.5 out of the model two series after the ts magna. Steer clear of early paj 3.5's due to some issue with the throttle butterfly connection , aussie dan another bloke on here has all the lowdown on pajero's, something im not that conversant with, they also had "live" timing gear which essentially means if the timing belt went snap so did everything else whereas the magna (and triton) motors had "passive" which means in the same event itd just stop dead therefore less damage. Theres obviously a lot more to it than i can explain, hence going to someone that knows a helluva lot more than me is probably a good idea :)

Magna motors of that series are super reliable, brilliant pn fuel and make about 15% more grunt than the old triton 6g72. Your drivetrain well looked after will definitley hold up worries. Its tough as nails. If your concerned best to drop the covers off your diffs when you service them and have a sticky beak, the sump plug in your gear box will tell you the story for that member. Is yours auto or manual? With the manual if you need to do the clutch, bpa in eagle farm have a warehouse with all the stuff, listed on ebay, good prices too. Go with the exedy hd tuff (i think thats what they call it) clutch. Has a poofy pink pressure plate but domt let the colour fool you. Its nice and heavy but the missus could still drive it, with a higher clamp force but uses and upgraded but still standard style fibre clutch plate. If your an auto guy, shift kit and a cooler will ne your best friend especially if your towing and doing a bit of low range work and will stop it hunting for gears up hills if you are a lazy bugger and dont want to find it yourself :lol: the magna 6g74 will bolt straight up to your box from memory.

Hope that helps
Boof

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » July 23rd, 2014, 1:51 pm

yea i have been researching all morning - seems as though the 6g74 matches up pretty well with the exception of the sump (unless i add a body lift) and a couple of other little mods. The engine is so much cheaper that the cost in labor for the additional mods will still probably end up in the same figures. Heading over to the mechanic this afternoon to have a chat.

I have an auto - i have read about the trans coolers and will look into that. Sorry about the inexperience, but what does the shift kit involve?

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » July 23rd, 2014, 2:38 pm

Mate not that conversant on autos either - essentially changes the way the auto operates to clean up the shifts to make them sharper and more precise. Standard autos on change flood the oil galleries with oil before the clutch packs lock to make the shifts smooth - in laymens terms as im led to believe (obviously a lot more to it. Once again someone more equipped than me in this way can explain it better than me) a shift kit changes this to give you sharper shifts thus taking the slip out of it during the change of gear. The "slip" being the smooth bit in between changing. That slip is the servo valve body whatchacallit thing flooding the galleries blah blah etc etc. your mechanic man will tell you more in regards to this when you ask. In short, less slip equals less heat which equal longer lasting components. Not just a thing in old mates 350 chev turbo 400 hq. very useful for most autos being that they set em up for granny to drive and not break her hips.

Have a yarn to your mechanic man. Plenty of good auto joints on the coast im sure. Shouldnt cost a motza either maybe 800 bucks for a cooler, kit and labour give or take a bit, more likely give :lol:
Boof

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » July 23rd, 2014, 2:48 pm

haha - 'whatchacallit thing'..... that how i sound when i talk to mechanic friends and try to explain what im thinking. Will investigate further - thanks

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » July 23rd, 2014, 6:10 pm

Had a good chat with the mechanic - looks like the 3.5 is a good possibility. He is going to do a bit of research and let me know some figures. Looking forward to it - certainly make it a little more fun to drive:)

Boof mk triton
Been here a while

Unread post by Boof mk triton » July 23rd, 2014, 7:12 pm

Pin your ears back and hop to it man. Hell i am lookin forward to this :thumb: :thumb
Boof

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » July 28th, 2014, 2:19 pm

well after struggling to find a good motor, i have been talked into using another 6g72. Honestly, im slightly dissapointed. Basically it came down to not having the funds or time to get it done right. So its out with the old, in with the new. Should be on the road on Wednesday:)

jsroberts8
Been here a while

Unread post by jsroberts8 » August 1st, 2014, 5:54 pm

Finally, i have the ute back. New engine is in and running smoothly! I took it for a nice drive today and love it. It is the 3.0 like before but much newer and smoother with absolutly no ticking at all ...ahhh the serenity. Although the all i can now hear are those 32inch mud tyres...good fun. I am getting a fair amount of rubbing when the wheels are in full lock. Usually just the guards but turning into my driveway today it rubbed against the bullbar so tomorrow im going to raise the torsion bar a little and if its still too close im getting to the bar with a grinder.

Next job...swap the spot lights off the missus car and onto mine. They are lightforce 170 , compact but work pretty well. Im going to add an led light bar on at some point and also a rear work light. Also, i need a new soft tonneau cover. Any one want to recommend one?

Return to “Utes”