My 1973 fj45! UPDATE!

claytone
Been here a while

Re: My 1973 fj45!

Unread post by claytone » December 18th, 2014, 10:36 pm

update!

Hey rogers cruiser

well first thing i'll say is there is no quick way! gearbox has just been cleaned thoroughly like big tub of degreaser and a brush and sit down for a hour,then wire brushed then primed and painted in kill rust gloss black same as bell housing. The transfer case is just the alloy housing sandblasted not painted. Clayton.

well been working on the tray! man they make these things tuff! trying to get the floor out what a mission! probably about 5 hours of grinding and bashing ect! anyway got it out :D found a couple of the cross members where fairly badly rusted so cut two of them out to replace them, also just been cleaning up the frame cutting of unwanted pieces ,ect.pics Clayton.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PatrickB
Here and there

Unread post by PatrickB » December 19th, 2014, 7:09 pm

Coming along nicely mate.

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » December 29th, 2014, 10:37 pm

Well Christmas update!

well had a mate come round and give me a hand with the tray! also had a massive shop up and also bought myself a present! :D bought new steel mud gaurds, under tray toolboxes, led taillights and NEW TREADS for the old girl! :D :D me and my mate where trying to figure out mud gaurd mounts and toolbox positions and i thought this would be so much easier if i had the tyres and wheel so! rang up the local tyre shop that i have used alot, this is the day before christmas and boom did me a mad price 5 new hankooks! 285 /75/16 couldn't get rims till the new year so i'll get them as soon as i can next year!

Replaced all the rusted out cross members in the tray stripped all we couldn't get to if the floor was in, then i put ranex rustbuster on everything under the floor and got that all cut and fitted and welded in, then today got the front head board finished off! just got some more flap disking to do underneath the tray then it'll be primer and paint!! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » December 29th, 2014, 10:40 pm

My present!

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » January 12th, 2015, 10:55 pm

Hi all

Quick update! Been waiting on new rims, tyres are at tyre shop, rims came in today hopefully pick them up tomorrow! :D
second coat of etch primer down on the tray, rest will have to wait till new wheels are on so i can mount the mudflaps and tool boxes correctly. pics Clayton

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » January 15th, 2015, 9:45 am

Great to see so much progress. :)
Notifications of my subscription to this and others stopped working again so missed out!
How are you using the Ranex? Diluting at all or straight and just keeping the area soaked? For how long?

Cheers Marcus

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » January 19th, 2015, 11:12 pm

Well update!

Got my new rims and tyres on!!!!!!! :D :D so stoked make's it look tuff!

Well first off, Gojeep , I have been using the ranex straight out of the bottle
brushing it on liberally and letting it dry. it's nice to have some progress!!

Just finished the spare tyre mount on the tray tonight, i have made it so it bolts onto a plate that's on the tray so i can pull it off if needed, also got the toolboxes mounted and new mud guards all mounted and mudflaps on as well! so happy alot's happening! just a couple more coats of etch primer then onto paint! and assembly! already got led tail lights ready to go and all new wiring. Pics! cheers Clayton

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » January 19th, 2015, 11:13 pm

Some more pics!

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » January 20th, 2015, 8:42 am

Looking real close now to getting done. :)

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » February 2nd, 2015, 10:27 pm

Well Update!

I'm sorry to say there will probably not be many more updates for a while now will just be small things as this year i will be traveling AUSSIE! yeeehaaa we are doing the canning stock route in may with 6 4x4's and two of my good mates are going back to Queensland as they have already been traveling, but came back for Christmas and to do the canning and they will be heading back to Townsville so will probably be based there for abit get a job then go up the cape!!!

The plan is to work and travel! MY Dream! i have already told my boss and i will have to sell my other car :mad: but can't do everything! no time limit is set, so i'd think a couple years at least to see the place properly! The old 80 has already had a trip to united fuel injection, copped, comp test came back good, so got new pump boost compensator,new injectors full dyno tune! goes awesome now! ready for whatever aus can throw at it!

Anyway the ute! rolled her out into the sunshine and drove her around the paddock sitting on the chassis so stoked!! the tray is almost finished! just finished wiring up the tail lights, reverse light and number plate light, haven't got a reverse light yet but wiring is there ready! also labeled wiring to wire up original harness, all the old wiring under the tray was stuffed so just used 7 core trailer wiring works perfect! tray all reassembled, everything painted, new rubbers between the tray and chassis all new 8.8 bolts ,ect. pics Cheers Clayton

Indy Hepburn
Need to get out more

Re: My 1973 fj45! UPDATE!

Unread post by Indy Hepburn » February 3rd, 2015, 7:46 am

Wow the FJ45 is coming along nicely..very neat! :thumb:
if in doubt more right foot!

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » February 3rd, 2015, 9:52 am

Shame that there wont be an update for a while, but must admit, following your dream of working and travelling around Australia is hard to beat. :)
Good luck with it mate.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » February 4th, 2015, 8:06 pm

Almost there!!! Have a good roll around Oz mate... :)
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

cruiserluke
Here and there

Unread post by cruiserluke » February 5th, 2015, 4:27 pm

It's looking pretty stealth with the black on black without the cab.
You've done a real nice job so far

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » February 10th, 2015, 10:23 pm

Well there will be some updates nothing after the first week of may! :D

Well i can hardly believe i have made the decision, it will take a while to sink in that hopefully this year i will be living my dream and kicking it all off with the canning stock route! i tell you what i have already bought alot of things, also getting ready and sorting out fuel,water, food and spares,ect plus the 80 has had alot of work done on it. :D

Well cleaned up the fuel tank little bit of surface rust nothing major, just hit it with some ranex then etch primer and first coat of topcoat tonight. started stripping the wire harness and cleaning that up, getting rid of the patches and fixing anything that looks dodgy or needs fixing, only got so far stripping it tonight, alot more to go! some pics

Return to “Utes”