My 1973 fj45! UPDATE!

claytone
Been here a while

Re: My 1973 fj45!

Unread post by claytone » August 8th, 2014, 11:54 pm

Well update!

Life fairly hecktick atm! so i got some new parts bought another front brake hose a new brake master cylinder, the rear brake hose and the heater line gromet for in the firewall! Also slowly getting a pile of stripped panels ready for paint stripping :D
man i'm going to be so broke!also going to drop the gearbox of tomorrow to get looked at! :D also got transfer rebuild kit! :D Pics! started looking at another set of gaurds i bought not to bad a few interesting spots! Pics

Cheers Clayton
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » August 8th, 2014, 11:55 pm

Pics!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » September 16th, 2014, 10:27 pm

Hey

Well not much of an update, just been cleaning up old parts, been flat out at work 50+ weeks and been house sitting so, finally get back to it now! gearbox is in at the shop should hear back very soon, been on cruiser corps adding up all the bits i need! :D other than that till next time.

Clayton

Bevan'n'Katie
Avid Poster

Unread post by Bevan'n'Katie » September 17th, 2014, 7:09 pm

It's coming along mate. Have you got the skimming bog to put in all the fine jokes and cracks once you have sanded back the bog. It's really good stuff.

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » October 9th, 2014, 11:25 pm

well update,

Finally got some time now to do something! been sorting parts out, cleaning parts up repainting and sorting out what i need new off! :D still waiting on gearbox shop, other than that spent the last couple arvo's trying to get it to run better but just abit stumped having fuel issue's, it'll idle fine then it'll stall, it 'll run fine then run really rich for a while then it'll just stall for no reason, it's getting heaps of fuel ,bowl is at good level, jets are clean needle and seat works fine, accelerator pump works fine, have stripped carby again and cleaned and checked everything again made abit of difference not much, i think i might buy a new one! getting abit frustrated can't find out what it is! :mad: some pics,

Cheers Clayton

Bevan'n'Katie
Avid Poster

Unread post by Bevan'n'Katie » October 13th, 2014, 7:32 pm

I don't really know much around petrols but my diesel will cut out after about 10seconds if it dose not since oil pressure.

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » October 26th, 2014, 4:26 pm

Well update!

gearbox is back, nothing wrong with it at all guy said was in good condition for it's age! :D so got that back on transfer all rebuilt front tailshaft on, 4wd linkage all sorted, rear tailshaft is getting retubed and resplined so i'll get that this week :D i also found out i had the dizzy one tooth out which i did suspect so i have got it running alot better, but got sick of stupid carby had it apart so many times so i just bought a new one!so new carb will come this week or next! so close to move under it's own power! getting excited! pics cheers Clayton

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » October 26th, 2014, 9:55 pm

All this work on the F engine!

Did you ever consider swapping in a 2H or something newer?

Or do you want to keep it origional?

I have found the 2H to be far batter then my old 2F for driving both in town and on the hwy, but mine definitly had some age to it.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » November 2nd, 2014, 5:37 pm

HI rogers cruiser

Its actually a 2f i gave up on rebuilding the f cost way to much to do and well not worth it at all, so i bought a good second hand 2f and just gave it a mighty good clean up and paint checked everything, looked good so just really replaced all the external bits and seems to run good so far, the main idea at this point of sticking more original is so it'll be easier to license! One day it might end up with something different in it, but at this stage stick with the petrol try to keep it original as the way everyone's going there won't be any originals left.

Cheers Clayton.

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » November 2nd, 2014, 9:32 pm

Thats a great point, I do really enjoy a full origional.

Im keeping my troopy origional and makeing the ute more driver friendly
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » November 22nd, 2014, 10:43 pm

Well update!

i drove it! :D :D sat on the chassis chucked it in low range and idled it around! such a good feeling! well couldn't get it to run any good with the old carby spent hours so just bit the bullet and bought one of ebay! runs like a champion now purrrsss! just had to modify the air filter a little to fit the new carby so got that sorted also got the rest of the new brake lines made and all bolted up ready to go! not a lot else in the future probably just be prepping panels ready for paint stripping also getting some new wheels and tyres, moving onto body work! :eek:

Cheers Clayton

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » November 22nd, 2014, 10:44 pm

Me and the old man, me right ,dad left.

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » December 14th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Well update!

well i have been busy on my 80 lately took it out the other day and put my first dent in it! :urgh: and destroyed a flare so replaced all of them also installed a Browne Davis long range tank and it'll be going into united fuel injection sometime soon to get it sorted hopefully still gutless after 6k and tuned 3inch everything not happy so i think it needs a new injection pump, anyway moving on the 45 yesterday i went and picked up 3mm checker plate for the tray floor and some tube for new tie down rails so that'll be my project over the chrissy break, cut the old floor out clean up the entire frame, new floor and rails, primed as well that's the plan anyway.

Also got more body panels stripped yesterday found a bit more rust snapped some bolts :mad: anyway could have been worse just got a few more bits to pull of then almost all the body panels will be ready sandblasting/stripping, also ordered a full body rubber kit from rare spares yesterday as well so that wasn't cheap! still more bits to gather! anyway some pics!

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » December 15th, 2014, 6:03 pm

:D. When's completion date? :p

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » December 15th, 2014, 11:55 pm

Hay Claytone, how did you get your transmission and transfer case so clean?

And what sort of paint did you use on them?

what about the bellhousing?

Sorry Im up to a similar step as you.

Return to “Utes”