My 1973 fj45! UPDATE!

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Re: My 1973 fj45!

Unread post by monkeybucket » May 26th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Holy cow...the engine looks awesome...work is really paying off on it eh... cant wait to see it all together. Nice work.
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » June 5th, 2014, 10:33 pm

well update!

Not much but a little got the air box all painted and fitted up! also the fan as well, ordered new clutch today so pick that up tomorrow, just been cleaning up parts and painting really next is radiator surround/bracket then fan shroud, new radiator,hoses ect. some pics

Cheers Clayton
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » June 14th, 2014, 12:10 am

Update

Cleaned up the radiator frame and fan shroud with a flap disc and a quick sandblast into the corners i couldn't get into, also got my new clutch and release bearing got that all on and lined up just lifted the gearbox on to check clutch alignment :D , also got new air filter in as well and top thermostat housing as well, had to make up a spacer for air filter clamp came up alright. some pics!

cheers Clayton
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » June 14th, 2014, 12:11 am

pics! :D

Bevan'n'Katie
Avid Poster

Unread post by Bevan'n'Katie » June 20th, 2014, 10:13 am

im really thinking about pulling mine down again after looking at all these threads. got so many ideas

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » June 20th, 2014, 7:09 pm

O oh...ideas...lol
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » June 20th, 2014, 9:27 pm

Well

update! More idea's for you guys! haha got my radiator hoses, and all new clamps just put them on ready! also tightened up fan belt, painting radiator support and shroud ,ect but then spray gun decided it wants to leak my paint everywhere :mad: so need a new hopper for it should fix it! The transfer is all cleaned up ready to go just got to get a rebuild kit, i haven't looked at the gearbox yet as i have had things to do.when i first got the cruiser the more i looked at it the more it needed what i'm doing now thats why i have gone as far as i have! :D

just bought a pwr radiator for the 80 to try and hit the getting warm problem on the head, also got rego to pay as well so things will slow for a couple weeks :crazy: but hopefully no to much, then it'll be radiator, gearbox rebuild, transfer and tail shaft's and mechanicals just about done! :D also got some brakelines made pick them up tomorrow so things will keeping ticking over just. some pics

Cheers Clayton

Bevan'n'Katie
Avid Poster

Unread post by Bevan'n'Katie » June 20th, 2014, 10:14 pm

your bench scares me. bloody bills always come at the wrong time hey. iv been paying rego with tax return money for the last few years. kinda solves one problem.

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » June 23rd, 2014, 9:43 am

Making great progress,
The engine came up a treat.
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » June 30th, 2014, 11:20 pm

Hey Guys

Cheers For the comments guy's! well hadn't done anything on it for a while so had a bit of a spend up, got a new radiator! yeehaaa also fixed my spray gun and finished painting radiator bracket and shroud got it all bolted in tonight looks awesome! :D :D :D Also got a couple of the brakelines done still two more two go, then hard lines! really expensive for what they are think i might shop around abit more! 130bucks for two lines the same length as in the photo think i got ripped! :mad:
But very glad to get some more done!

Might be changing jobs again in next couple weeks so things will be a bit all over the place! only doing farm hand job atm keep money coming in. going back to my trade hopefully if this position works out!

Indy Hepburn
Need to get out more

Unread post by Indy Hepburn » July 4th, 2014, 5:50 pm

Nice Build mate, Love the 40's..gotta love the Classic Cruisers!

Wow that chassis looked really flogged. 3 tonnes my God! :eek:

I must ask is the chassis bolted together??? Not Welded? :confused:
And why all the circle cut outs all along the chassis rails? :confused:

Bevan'n'Katie
Avid Poster

Unread post by Bevan'n'Katie » July 5th, 2014, 5:48 pm

Looking good mate

The chassis is solid riveted together, and I'd say the holes are for weight reduction. It's made from two bits of c section joined with the rivets.

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » July 13th, 2014, 2:44 pm

Hi update!

Cheers for comments, yeah the chassis is riveted together that's how they were made back in the day, i have had to do some repairs on the chassis, weld up the cracks and fish plate over the top, the holes as Bevan'n'Katie said probably weight reduction :D i'm not entirely sure!

well i finally got all the radiator hooked up flushed the motor out,and i just looped the heater hoses back around chucked in some coolant and fired the old girl up got it nice and warm thermostat opened! and boy the coolant is not a real nice colour so will drop it and change again getting warm probably loosened up and bits of stuff in the galleries, Still got some tuning to do sort of stuck idle's real nice then it'll rev up fine but run real rich and cough splutter cos it's so rich then other times it'll won't idle but rev fine checked everything getting plenty of fuel no vacuum leaks, think i might need to set the points again and timing see what happens then! anyway some pics! cheers Clayton

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » July 21st, 2014, 10:09 pm

Well Update!

Well i have ordered a transfer rebuild kit so hopefully that'll come in this week :D also just wire brushed the gearbox up get of all the dirt and grime! also cleaned up some more parts just the horn's, recovery hooks and bell housing covers! then started stripping some panels down! once i have them all stripped hopefully get them sandblasted and primed then go from there :D discovering dodgy rust repairs! pics! Cheers Clayton :frog:

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » July 21st, 2014, 10:15 pm

Photo's :D

Return to “Utes”