My 1973 fj45! UPDATE!

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Re: My 1973 fj45!

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » March 6th, 2014, 3:52 pm

Hi mate, great build.

Im wondering what Power stearing setup your using?
Is it a 47 origional? I ahve never seen one that sits that far back.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » March 8th, 2014, 11:26 pm

hi guys

Thanks for the positive feedback!
I have already replaced the welsh plugs in the motor, The steering is arm strong no power steering here! :D
well still haven't got a cam :urgh: just haven't got round to it and budget doesn't allow right now! so cleaned up extractors welded a proper flange on the end, checked them quickly but not properly, painted them, well now they hit the chassis :urgh:

Also bought a new clutch slave cylinder i was going to rebuild the old one but for $27 for a new one! why would i bother!
also stripped the starter motor and cleaned everything up, checked it all, painted and in the process of reassembly!
i would have liked to buy a new carby but hey i have two of them so i decided to rebuild one and use the other for parts.
All i need is a carby rebuild kit, camshaft and modify the extractors so they don't hit the chassis and it won't be long and it'll be running! :D
Some pics cheers Clayton
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bevan'n'Katie
Avid Poster

Unread post by Bevan'n'Katie » March 9th, 2014, 6:43 pm

looking good mate, extactors are the next on my list, im doing my clutch at the moment, getting the fly wheel machined tomorrow.

bigpig
Avid Poster

Unread post by bigpig » March 11th, 2014, 1:55 am

I noticed your stuck on the cam, and noticed you have extractors on already. Those will work great with the mild cam you said might be an option, did you decide to go that way? I always wondered what mine would have been like with the original engine tweeked a little.

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » March 12th, 2014, 11:32 pm

Hey guys!

well update ordered the carby kit today so i will pick that up tomorrow and hopefully over the next few days get it back together! i still am trying to get the carbon off the inside of it soaked in petrol got some of it off but finding it difficult :urgh:
i think scotch brite pad! got starter motor back together! also got my new slave cylinder all bolted up ready and the last bell housing bolt i picked up today and fitted!

Yeah about the cam i would like a mild one but will probably end up with a standard as even they are hard enough to find.

cheers Clayton
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » March 24th, 2014, 11:38 pm

well update!

Got the carby back together ! followed the diagram found some bit's were missing no wonder it didn't go to well! :crazy:
had a spare carby so raided that for bit's i'm using the f engine carby as it suit's my air cleaner and it has mechanical secondary's on the 2f so i just changed the jets over, well i had to modify the extractor's so they clear the chassis so rerouted them inside the chassis like the original exhaust and got all the intake and extractor's bolted on, also cleaned up the flywheel this arvo and stuck that on. here are some pics!

got a snorkel for the 80! :D :D

Gojeep
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Gojeep » March 25th, 2014, 9:54 am

Engine is looking good there mate.

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » March 26th, 2014, 6:16 pm

love the attention to detail on this.

I had a quick look on gumtree and found this:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/forest-l ... 1040302730

I wonder what freight down your way would be, or if he would sell the cam separate, someone like myself or someone closer by would be willing to help if need be.

seems cheap enough.

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » April 20th, 2014, 6:53 pm

well been a while!

update!

The other day i decided to have a quick look on gumtree for 40series parts came across a guy selling a 2f 4speed box and early transfer minus a few pieces for 100 buck's only about 25mins drive away so i grabbed it, tore into the motor and pulled the cam out! we have a win :D while it was not perfect it was a little worn only a tiny bit and considering the rest of the motor hasn't been touched i cleaned it up and put it in! so now finally i can fire this thing up, so i got the top end all back in , valley cover on,timing cover, harmonic balancer and fuel pump on so now just got to put the dizzy in get the timing right hook up some power and fuel and hopefully it will run! some pics!

Just another note, i recently installed a dts on my 1hz powered 80series i am a very fussy when it comes to mechanical cleaning i installed the kit myself and trust me everything was spotless, made sure was plenty of oil, ect before i started it, all good had it dyno tuned ect all going good, was never happy with the turbo spool always seemed to be late, i had done 4000km.

like in terms of oil changes i am extremely fussy genuine filters castrol,ect always done at 5000km without fail!and considering i had cleaned the sump up spotless when i put oil drain in,oil was clean as like it doesn't even go black for about 2000km, i purchased a snorkel i was fitting that and decided i would check turbo, it was stuffed to the point the wheels had been rubbing on the housing's rang dts pulled the turbo off took it in, they pulled it apart a tiny spec of something had gone through the oil feed on the turbo killed it !Mitsubishi td05 MTQ said nothing i could have done so i ended up having to buy a new turbo but installed a inline oil filter in the oil feed line! so anyone putting a turbo on cannot recommend a inline filter enough! it only cost 80bucks! compared to 1500 for a new turbo! i learnt the hard way!

cheers Clayton

Toyota_Hilux
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Toyota_Hilux » May 10th, 2014, 10:57 pm

Just read this thread start to finish. Great read and will be following closely :)

Bevan'n'Katie
Avid Poster

Unread post by Bevan'n'Katie » May 22nd, 2014, 5:10 pm

mate she is really coming along, and bloody great score with the cam as well. cant wait to get a reposrt of her running.

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » May 25th, 2014, 5:52 pm

well update!

i know its been a while just haven't posted as having trouble getting photo's of my phone! but alot has happened!
Managed to pick up another set of front gaurds for 100 bucks, as mine a fairly sad, even the ones i got are far from perfect but are rusted in different places to mine so hopefully make a good set out of the two!

now on to the 2f! well we fired it up, with the timing roughly set abit of oil in the cylinders to loosen the old girl up, fresh oil and filter,leads plugs,points,condenser and a rebuilt carby, she coughed into life very easy, after sitting for i don't know how long like before i got it! now about two weeks later i have finally got it running decent, done valve clearances,set timing,hooked up vacuum advance and valley cover breather,ect runs mint fires up with about half a turn, as i have no radiator only been running it for a couple mins max, was lot's of smoke from engine enamel curing when it first got warm, still a little ticky valve but hopefully that'll settle down, also stripped the alternator and rebuilt it basically using the best bit's out of the two i had, painted everything ect!

Have separated the gearbox and transfer, and have been busy cleaning all the transfer bit's has taken me total of about probably 5-7 hours sandblasted the casing and any external parts! sooo hard to get 40years of grease and grime off! but very happy with the result! basically got all the parts layed out ready to rebuild when i get a kit! gearbox i have just taken the shifter plate off haven't stripped it yet! i'm very surprised at the condition of everything in the driveline considering the load's it pulled and all the work it did proves just change the oil regularly! apart from bearings and seals everything is perfect ! :D

Also had a massive cleanup in our shed re organized alot of stuff, have so much room to do stuff! also set up a sandblasting booth so the sand doesn't get everywhere, just hung black plastic from the beams with cable ties and left one corner for me to go in and out of and chucked a light up so i can see what i'm doing! love it makes it so much easier

Thing may slow down abit got made redundant two weeks ago so now without a job i have one lined up so once get more money things will keep flowing! cheers Clayton Thanks for the comments!

Im sorry but no pics for now just want to throw computer!

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » May 26th, 2014, 2:17 pm

photo's finally after lots of trouble!

claytone
Been here a while

Unread post by claytone » May 26th, 2014, 2:20 pm

photo's! :D :D

Bevan'n'Katie
Avid Poster

Unread post by Bevan'n'Katie » May 26th, 2014, 6:19 pm

Bet it felt good to fire her up mate. I'm really jelouse I wish I did my rebuild properly like you are. Hopefully I'll be able to rebuild it again soon.

Return to “Utes”