94 Hilux Single Cab

Gav-442
Getting to know the place

Gavs 94 4runner/hilux build

Unread post by Gav-442 » April 28th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Hey all
First topic iv started up on here.
Few weeks back I did a trip to zig zag, i decided i had had enough of the ifs after that trip and am now looking at a sas.
Now after i got home i jumped on ebay and along came a 85 4runner with a 253, most would know the 85 was the last year of leaf sprung runners. So i picked it up for $500. 2" shackles and inverted rear shocks. The body is no good as it has been rolled and has abit of rust.

Today i went to check things out. Seems that the 4th body mount from the front is the only one in a different postion. This has now left me in confusion wondering if i should move it into place so my 94 body will fit on the 85 chassie or will i just be better off doing a solid axle swap. If i move the mount i am unsure of what else could be an issue, I have read up about a swap like this done on a 85 hilux but the 94 cab was off a 2wd hilux, the floor pan being the main issue. I already have a 2" body lift in mine at the moment so it could help with clearance issues if i come across any. I am going to look into it all more tomorrow but if anyone has any experiance on this at all i would greatly appreciate some input.

This is my tuck about 3 months ago, will get some newer photos up as soon as i can
Last edited by Gav-442 on November 29th, 2012, 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mudshark
Need to get out more

Re: Gavs 94 4runner build

Unread post by mudshark » April 30th, 2012, 9:38 pm

I have no experience with body swap or SAS but I do believe that solid axles are better so either way you go good luck . but I would probably speak to an engineer and see which is legal and go with that

cheers Mark
1988 FJ62 LIFTED LOCKED AND BARRED UP :) and SO SICK

Blackened
Been here a while

Unread post by Blackened » May 26th, 2012, 12:26 am

Honestly I'd do a SAS to keep the coils in the rear.

Just my 2c
My Shed
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/blackeneds-lux
1994 Toyota Hilux with a V8

kjwarren

Unread post by kjwarren » May 26th, 2012, 6:59 am

I would mod. your truck, as you said the wreck has been rolled so there a chance the chassis could be bent and if the body is full of cancer there is a good chance the chassis will have a fair bit inside the box sections as well.
Old Banger
FJ45 V8 Chev

Gav-442

Unread post by Gav-442 » June 1st, 2012, 12:09 am

sorry guys my account has been playing up and not letting me post. Alot has happpened since the last post. The v8 4runner is now gone as of today, the 4 runner has a seazed motor :irked: and now......... I have a hilux :D !!!. I bought a 1996 corolla for $1800 and the clutch was stuffed, fixed it up for $150 and then thanks to gumtree i swapped it for a 2002 vx commodore wagon 3 days before the motor seazed (on a saturday). When the motor went i thought no big deal ill drive the commodore and save up for a rebuild. So i went on getting prices and in the end for a full rebuild kit, brand new head and all new belts and that the final price of the parts was $900 threw a mate who works in that department. By monday night that was it, was back on gumtree looking for swaps :lol:. I ended up finding a 1994 single cab hilux. With a little bit of talking we worked things out with rego for the hilux and the swap was made on the friday (last week). So now as i stand, i have a stuffed motor in my 4runner and a nicely running hilux.

The hilux came with a 2" spring lift, 30x9.5 bfg's, roof console with uhf, lights for the tray, reverse spotlight, bullbar with spotlights and a hunting spotlight on the roof.

It stayed standard at my house for about 1 hour and then the mods started. The 33"s i was running on the 4runner were put on and after a quick check it was off for a play at menai :thumb:

What it looked like when i got it.
photo.JPG
Roof spotlight and tray sides removed. 33's on
photo(4).JPG
Having a little flex to see if it rubbed
photo(2).JPG
We had a great day out 4wding, we found a new track out there that was pretty challenging and was a good test out for the lux. As it has the 33"s im not happy with the crawl speed it has in 1st gear low range so some changes will be made there. Other than that i was very happy at the way it went. Sunday afternoon i started to have a look around it and get to know it better. I decided to take to the tray with a grinder.

Before
photo(3).JPG
After
photo(5).JPG
There was no reason for this other than i like the look. Looking more into it i found the whole inside of the rails on the tray are full of rust and that now gives me a reason to build a custom tray :waycool:.

Now the v8 4runner comes into play. It was being stored at my mates grandparents place, the time had come that it needed to be moved. This 4runner had snake racing shackles, drive shaft spacers and longer shocks. With the call being made that friday was its last day there, the swap had to be made. I spent wednesday night swapping shackles from it to the lux and the lux to it as i had to keep it so it was able to roll. This was when the fun started :purplex:. Everything was in the way for me to get them off. Exhaust on the front and gas tank on the back. So after a while all the shackles were off and ready to go, then my hilux shocks didnt have enough travel in them to even let me get the shackles on so all the shocks were taken off the 4runner and put in the lux. Others came around and took the gearbox and other parts so by time it was all stripped down and picked up to be taken away i had pretty much paid nothing for my new suspention set up.

With its now 4" lift it was off to menai tonight for a test. No photos were taken as it was to dark.

But here it is with the shackles in
photo(6).JPG
Before i went out tonight my mate came past with some body blocks he knocked up for me at work so tomorrow the lux will be getting a 2" body lift. Off to another mates workshop on sat to body lift his lux and start on a custom tube bar for mine and his. Ill post up some more photos tomorrow of everything and an update on how the 4runner is going.

Gavin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dan dog
Been here a while

Re: Gavs 94 4runner/hilux build

Unread post by dan dog » June 1st, 2012, 10:51 pm

Nice lux mate. I would think twice about the body lift. You already have 4 inch lift already plus 1 to 2 inch with Tyres. Would hate to see you put it on its roof seeing hiluxs are a top heavy rig.
The misses brought me a beer at the pub the other night. I said i love you. she said- is that you or the beer talking. i said thats me talking to my beer

Gav-442

Unread post by Gav-442 » June 5th, 2012, 8:06 pm

took the lux out to menai in the rain on sunday and had a play and boy wasnt that fun. didnt jump out to take any pics but was a great day.

Body lift went in on friday as planned, everything went well and it was done in about an hour. The lux is big enough for my liking now, still need to make up some brackets for the bullbar or make a tube bar.

Heres a shot of the 2 before the body lift, both cars have 4" lift
before body lift.JPG
These are the blocks my mate knocked up, just hit them with some white paint to stop rust
blocks.JPG
Here it is all completed
after body lift.JPG
Well i bought material to make some rock sliders on the weekend to so hopefully ill get a chance to knock them up soon, as for now i just wanna get the extended brake lines in and give it a good going over, wheel bearings, new gaskets, grease everything up, new brakes and so on. I dont wanna go crazy on this car yet as i still have a soft spot for my 4runner and would really like to get it up and running again :whyme:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gav-442

Unread post by Gav-442 » June 5th, 2012, 8:10 pm

dan dog wrote:Nice lux mate. I would think twice about the body lift. You already have 4 inch lift already plus 1 to 2 inch with Tyres. Would hate to see you put it on its roof seeing hiluxs are a top heavy rig.
Thanks mate. I'v decided to run it for now as most of the guys i go wheeling with are running 4" sus and 2" body and we havent had any issues as of yet. It was pretty simple for my hilux so im gonna experiment with it for abit and if im not keen then ill just take it back out.

Gav-442

Unread post by Gav-442 » June 5th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Alright well, as the story goes, the 4runner suffered a blow out, the head cracked and filled the bottom end with coolant and bent a conrod. This all happened however as i was going threw a puddle which wasn't very deep so it had me going for a while to what exactally happened.

we went from this
579507_2689657019915_1811185933_1570643_1713680667_n.jpg
to this
coming home.jpg
then this
After a little wash.jpg
and finally to this
pistons.jpg

what the future hold for this 4wd is anyones guess. a rebuilt 2.8 with a turbo, 1uz or ls1, five link front ended comp truck. This is my first 4wd and i love it to bit so whatever the plan is, it will start moving into action soon :)

Oznut
Need to get out more

Unread post by Oznut » June 11th, 2012, 9:42 am

How come you've gone for so much lift?
Hilux/Surf/4Runner Meet Info
[url=https://www.facebook.com/TheAnnualHiluxMeet]TheAnnualHiluxMeet[/url]

Twin locked Lux, tyres, lift and a whole lotta right boot.

Gav-442

94 Hilux Single Cab

Unread post by Gav-442 » December 18th, 2012, 11:21 pm

I think its about time i start a proper build thread on my 94 hilux (was confused over how the fourm worked and started in hardcore trucks, although i am now unable to delete the topic). Was bought as a pretty standard truck, was wearing 30x9.5 BFG all terrains and had a 2" old man emu spring lift. Since then iv put snake racing shackles, snake racing 40mm tail shaft spacer, 33" mudstar tires, 6" shocks, toolbox, 4runner interior swap, weaco cooler/warmer and a snorkel.
photo.JPG
photo(4).JPG
Will get some more photos up tomorrow

Gavin

Adon92
Been here a while

Re: 94 Hilux Single Cab

Unread post by Adon92 » December 18th, 2012, 11:30 pm

Hey mate, good lookin lux you have, love the 88-97 shape.

Just wondering, does the 4runner/surf have better seats?
Hilux LN106

Gav-442

Unread post by Gav-442 » December 19th, 2012, 11:18 pm

thanks mate, the reason i went with 4runner seats is the hilux was a 3 seater and i am wrecking a 94 4runner at the moment so i thought id take the chance to make it a 2 seater while i had the parts because its limited for space so something as simple as a center console can work wonders. As of yesterday it now has a weaco sitting between them.

Im pretty sure some surfs come from the factory with recaros so maybe look into them if your after a big change. Only difference i noticed with mine is they have abit more cushion to them but they look exactaly the same as the old seats.

Gavin

Gav-442

Unread post by Gav-442 » December 19th, 2012, 11:23 pm

heres a photo from a couple months back when it had a 2" body lift, ended up taking it out as it was pointless because it doesnt rub at all without the body lift.
315463_4260079510862_1838640350_n.jpg

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 19th, 2012, 11:40 pm

Fixed Gav, all in this section now! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Utes”