Mahindra 2012 Pik-up Dual Cab Build UP

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Re: Mahindra 2012 Pik-up Dual Cab Build UP

Unread post by Mungrel » January 27th, 2013, 2:42 pm

Nice build up, good to see something different, though until now, i'd never even heard of the Mahindra brand :eek:

I like the look of those poly tanks. The material might be a bit more forgiving than say steel or ally tanks which aside being heavy, may bend.

Any plans for bigger rubber?
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

Cyberess
Here and there

Unread post by Cyberess » January 29th, 2013, 11:57 pm

The question about - am I considering bigger rubber, probably not, the Mahindra comes with 245/75 R16 LT tyres -- in my opinion quite a good size for ware, clearance and traction, not that wrapped with the Indian Rubber, the tyres seem a little hard to balance -- I already had the tyres balanced twice, keep loosing balance weights in the mud -- might take it somewhere different for wheel balance next time (Someone who knows how to make wheel balance weights stick).

For my next tyres might consider Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 245/75 R16 LT, or more off road orientated tyre Kumho MT KL71 245/75 R16 LT.

O.K. the Poly Tank has now been installed -- It took me 2 days (I'm a bit slow in fitting tanks -- a bit of a mongrel to install), I am rather pleased with the job and my gravity feed system, bit like a 80L header tank, of course the fuel gauge will only register after the poly tank stops topping up the main tank.
tank-removal.jpg
Out with the 150L Alloy tank
Poly-tank-installed.jpg
What the tank looks like installed -- no clearance issues -- nice and tidy and out of the way.
Poly-tank-installed04.jpg
Bracket mount setup
Poly-tank-installed02.jpg
Poly-tank-installed03.jpg
bracket setup from below
Poly-tank-installed04.jpg
I have installed the brackets, in the cross channels under the tray -- the bolts and nylocks just through the ally channel not through the try.
Tank-Tranfer-setup01.jpg
The Gravity feed setup -- just works on gravity -- no transfer pumps to worry about.

Fuel transfer line into main filler.

Filler setup from between the Cab and the canopy

The twin filler setup with the vented filler caps

Today I put 40 litres of fuel in the poly tank to drain into the main tank -- it will probably take an hour or 2 to transfer -- just enough time to see if there is any leaks -- So far everything is looking good. :)

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » January 30th, 2013, 2:14 pm

Very tidy install.
Nice job

When in doubt,

4xFourex
Been here a while

Unread post by 4xFourex » February 7th, 2013, 1:53 pm

I like that gravity fed setup you have there. How do you find the clearance under the front diff? with the bash plates in it looks a bit low, even with the 2" lift.

And I quite like the look of the Mahindra, if people call that ugly they are going to be pretty upset with the LC dual cabs
So many weekends, so many tracks...so little fuel!

The Black Mistress - 1974 Bitsa Landruiser fj45 ute: Holden 253 V8, Toyota 60s axles front and back, Mazda seats, Mistubishi seat belts, Ford thermo fans (almost installed). more to come...

Cyberess
Here and there

Unread post by Cyberess » February 7th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Hmm my guess your looking at the first photo -- that's not the diff -- or the sump, what you can see there is the bottom of the vehicle is the rear tire ;) -- the clearance under the front is better than most utes, and it's certainly is better than my old R51 Pathfinder with it's 2" lift that I used to have.

Cheers

4xFourex
Been here a while

Unread post by 4xFourex » February 8th, 2013, 10:01 am

Hahaha, well, I feel silly :redface: That's pretty impressive then. Glad to hear you're liking the Mahindra. I looked at getting one a few years back as a work ute, but they were just too much of an unknown.
Looks like you've got yourself a solid rig there. And I thought the R51's were pretty good, but if this is better. Got any pics of it in action?

The Black Mistress - 1974 Bitsa Landruiser fj45 ute: Holden 253 V8, Toyota 60s axles front and back, Mazda seats, Mistubishi seat belts, Ford thermo fans (almost installed). more to come...

Cyberess
Here and there

Unread post by Cyberess » February 8th, 2013, 9:32 pm

4xFourex wrote: <snip>
Got any pics of it in action?
Hmm Pics in action
The problem is I am usually driving not taking pictures --
Mahindra01.jpg
Mahindra02.jpg
The first 2 Pic bit small -- but is how someone sent them to me.
The next 3 was a camping weekend away
Mahindra-Pik-up-camper.jpg
campsite.jpg
Over-railway-bridge.jpg
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cyberess
Here and there

Unread post by Cyberess » February 8th, 2013, 9:44 pm

Fitted a simple battery Isolator which I ordered off Ebay -- I hate having power to the winch all the time
Ioslator-lead.jpg
Battery-Isolator-cable.jpg
Left the old lead in as connected to the battery mount -- just in case something was to go wrong with the screw together isolator cable.

Cheers

Cyberess
Here and there

Unread post by Cyberess » February 10th, 2013, 3:10 pm

The other day, I got suckered in by a advertisement on this web site, selling a Water Bra, along with a spare wheel rubbish bag, and a subscription of 5 months of 4WD Action Mag for a $149 including Freight -- I thought I would give is a go, well the items came through the post, and I must admit it's all better quality than I thought it would be.

I always try stuff out before i hit the track with it --
Mahindra-Water-Bra01.jpg
Mahindra-Water-Bra02.jpg
WInch cable pokes through nicely -- Has a funny pocket in it as well.
Mahindra-Water-Bra03.jpg
The straps and stuff make it a rather quick fit, which is important, as we are usually travelling with a few 4WDs in the group.
water-bra-bag.jpg
The Water Bra did manage to pack back in it's bag O.K. -- Well just

Thinking about the water bra it will probably get lent to a vehicle that does not have a snorkel on our trip.
The Spare wheel rubbish bag not too bad either.
Mahindra-Rubish-bag01.jpg
Just comparing it with my Ryder bag that I purchased from Super Cheap -- The bag from 4WDaction is certainly better quality.

Cheers

4xFourex
Been here a while

Unread post by 4xFourex » February 11th, 2013, 8:40 am

Looks like it can handle a bit!

Haha I know the "using your towbar as a plough" bit all too well, did it a lot this weekend :redface:

It's locked in there...really need to get my act together and pull it out

Cyberess
Here and there

Unread post by Cyberess » February 11th, 2013, 11:24 am

I have been asking engineering businesses in Darwin to modify the towbar, as it ridiculously low, I reckon I could gain about 12" of clearance by getting the towbar modified. So far I have not found anyone to modify the towbar -- I thought about flipping the towbar as there is enough room for that, but the holes do not line up. I will find someone.. any suggestions would be welcomed.
Scenic-crossing-resized.jpg
Just driving out of this nice scenic area, the towbar gouged right into the rock, I probably rubbed about 3mm off the bottom of the towbar, so the towbar is getting modified on the run :frog: .

Cheers

bazzaboy
Been here a while

Unread post by bazzaboy » February 11th, 2013, 12:54 pm

That's a very nice set-up. My only concern would be that there seems to be a lot of weight or "hang-over" past the rear axle. Is it an illusion, or is it not that much?
Bazza
Last edited by bazzaboy on February 11th, 2013, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » February 11th, 2013, 1:07 pm

It does look like a bit now you mention it.

Still, it's high enough to not be too concerning while out and about.
By the sounds of it, the towbar as doubling as a rockslider :lol:

Nice looking area in the last pic!

When in doubt,

Cyberess
Here and there

Unread post by Cyberess » February 11th, 2013, 4:31 pm

It does have overhang but it's no more than the other dual cab utes our there --
Hilux-tray01.jpg
dual cab 70 series.jpg
Cheers

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » February 11th, 2013, 4:55 pm

Fair call,

The tray on the D/C L/Cruiser looks twisted in the pic (Though i'm sure it's just the angle of the pic)

When in doubt,

Return to “Utes”