Mahindra 2012 Pik-up Dual Cab Build UP

Cyberess
Here and there

Mahindra 2012 Pik-up Dual Cab Build UP

Unread post by Cyberess » November 30th, 2012, 1:48 am

My Mahindra Pik-up Dual Cab UTE -- Yes one of those ugly utes -- This will challenge that theory, I have made up a good looking long range tourer, usung the Mahindra ute as the base.

Let's start with the Finished product

It's been setup with a 2" lift

The whole build cost about $45000 -- as bought as a brand new UTE

Code: Select all

Rough costing on what was used
Item                                            Rough pricing
Suspension Upgrade kit with fitting             $ 1350
Snorkle                                         $  770
Steel winch bar                                 $ 1995
Runva Winch with plasma rope                    $  995
Tow bar                                         $  770
Sump guard                                      $  550
Alloy canopy with wired up central locking      $ 5500
Reverse camera                                  $  500
Extra spare wheel and tire                      $  300
Dual battery setup                              $  400
Centre bearing guard                            $  300
UHF radio setup                                 $  500
Dash matt                                       $   70
Long Range Fuel tank setup                      $ 2500
Extra Aux wiring                                $  100
TOTAL (including fitting)               about   $16600
Components used
The Steel Snorkel as Supplied by Mahindra Australia

Steel Bar with Runva Comp 9500kg winch

Bash Plate and Centre Bearing protector

Long range Alloy tank -- It holds 150 letres with main take at 80 letres = 230 litres in total

Alloy Canopy with central remote locking and a roof strong enough to stand on.

Dual battery setup with second battery in canopy -- Automatic Ironman Isolation switch

UHF radio and Antenna setup

ScanGuage 2 setup

Reverse Camera

My simple deckout so far ;)

Windows fully tinted -- The Dual air con (Font and Rear) that comes in the Mahindra is the best Air Con I have ever had.

That's all for now

Cheers :truck:

oyamum
Been here a while

Re: Mahindra 2012 Pik-up Dual Cab Build UP

Unread post by oyamum » November 30th, 2012, 3:59 am

awesome job mate, looks pretty cool and realy good to see something different. hows things like the interior finish and running gear? just curious as im looking to buy a twin cab ute in the near future and would like info on all models not just the common 1s... cheers mate and keep up the good work...

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 30th, 2012, 10:56 am

Looking Good!

Who did the Canopy? Some handy concepts in there. Speaking of that sort of thing, the brackets on the LH rear door, are they to hang things off, meant as a ladder to access the rack up top, or intended to serve as both?

And I gotta ask, how much does it weigh now and what does that leave you in the way of payload remaining before you hit GVM?
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Deans4by

Unread post by Deans4by » November 30th, 2012, 4:18 pm

Canopy looks unreal well set out. Any other plans in mind for it?
Who cares what 4wd you have just get out and use it.
MK Triton 2.8L TD a few mods goes alright.

Cyberess
Here and there

Unread post by Cyberess » November 30th, 2012, 4:27 pm

oyamum, The interior finish is not up to the same standard as the Japanese stuff, and the glovebox is a bit lightweight, but looks like it will hold up O.K. -- time will tell that story. This interior is actually extremely comfortable and a nice place to be with plenty of room, actually out of all the new new utes I looked before purchase the Mahindra had the biggest interior. The Mahindra uses captain style of seats with armrests and a very high seating position -- unlike my old R51 Pathfinder .
Mahindra-pikup-rear-seat.jpg
Mahindra-pikup-front-seat.jpg
Not my pics but just to show the interior room
With the rear seat I can jump in one side shuffle my way through and just our the other without hitting anything -- and the rear has it's own air con ducts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cyberess
Here and there

Unread post by Cyberess » November 30th, 2012, 4:45 pm

Yeah Peter, that is what those brackets are for -- but I don't like those brackets -- i have decided it would make more mess to remove them than to leave them -- I have a Rhino folding ladder now
Rhino-ladder.jpg
And I store this under the tray.

About weight it's fairly light weight, and a light weight alloy tray has been used as well, as I really don't need a heavy setup, on say this, the roof is strong enough to stand on. and use for a lookout :)
Toolbox-Canopy.png
This is the drawing which I started with and the sizing -- I think it's 2mm checker plate alloy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cyberess
Here and there

Unread post by Cyberess » November 30th, 2012, 5:03 pm

No plans at this moment for the canopy Deans4by -- but that's likely to change

For the vehicle I am eying off some manual locking hubs
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAHINDRA-MAN ... 500wt_1180

Actually thats from Modern Motors in Dungog -- He has quite a few parts up on ebay for the Mahindra Pik-ups
http://stores.ebay.com.au/landy4x4bits/ ... mit=Search

He is even cheaper to contact direct.

Cheers

bp1495
Here and there

Unread post by bp1495 » November 30th, 2012, 8:29 pm

Nice truck man, great to see something alot different to the norm
Just a totally random question i hope you don't mind answering, do any/many parts from different vehicles fit, particularly service gear?
Nice rig again

Rodeo X240 Kev
Here and there

Unread post by Rodeo X240 Kev » November 30th, 2012, 9:08 pm

Great build, cheers for sharing it, as this model build will be few and far between.

Cyberess
Here and there

Unread post by Cyberess » November 30th, 2012, 9:11 pm

About fitting other parts -- no idea, it is unlikely that I will be hunting down other branded parts, as I have a 3 year warranty to think of.

Talking about Mahindra parts -- Roothy was spotted fitting Mahindra parts
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=136802&p=1644891&h ... y#p1644891

Actually Roothy caused a delay for me getting parts from Modern Motors, as whatever going on they forgot to send them -- Just a day late, as I asked them what happened to the tracking number :lol: -- The parts were just for my next service which is not even due yet -- just getting ready.

Cheers

Cyberess
Here and there

Unread post by Cyberess » December 9th, 2012, 12:16 am

Peter @ Aawen4x4 wrote:Looking Good!
And I gotta ask, how much does it weigh now and what does that leave you in the way of payload remaining before you hit GVM?
Helped a mate of mine mount just about the same canopy on a new Trident -- all the same except his didn't have the central locking, and it didn't have a floor -- the floor part is not needed as the tray makes a nice floor, anyway about the weight since we had to lift it on the back of the Trident, after a few bears we reckon it's about 120kg plus or minus 20kg, it was a easy lift for 4 people.

It's interesting to see the canopy on the Trident -- I will get few photos later with the 2 vehicles together.

Cheers

Cyberess
Here and there

Unread post by Cyberess » January 2nd, 2013, 1:14 am

Considering some changes to the setup now -- I am finding that the long range tank is too low, considering to changing the tank to a under tray slimline Poly tank DPRV80S-MK
Poly-tank01.gif
I will go from an 150L alloy auxiliary to a 80L poly tank -- Still I will have the 80L main tank -- that will be 160L of range.
I see that they sell the 1 1/2" poly fitting to go with the tank
Poly-Tank-Elbow.gif
Must order all the fittings with the tank as fittings can be a real challenge
I will hook the outlet just to be a gravity feed to the main tank as get rid of the transfer pump.

I should be able to slide the tank right upto the cabin -- better weight distribution

Anyone here had with experience with these poly tanks? They certainly seem to be a cheap option at about $382 with mounting kit.

I will also be looking at modifying the towbar as well as raising the Towbar, it's the lowest part of the rear end, and there is no need for the Tow bar to be so low -- I will probably have to go to an engineering shop to get the towbar raised.

Cheers

Geeps08
Been here a while

Unread post by Geeps08 » January 2nd, 2013, 9:19 pm

you have done some great mods there mate. looks like its coming together real well.
See my face book page . Custom Canopies.

Colly Kid
Here and there

Unread post by Colly Kid » January 25th, 2013, 11:48 am

Hi Cyberess
Interesting build up some great ideas in there!

You just caught me in time I have my RG Colorado booked in for a 130l long range tank transplant next week but will put on hold now after seeing the poly tank you're putting in, this would be a lot cheaper and still allow me to use the electronic fuel economy readouts on the main tank

How does the transfer of fuel from auxilary to main work? Anyone else out there fitted these poly fuel tanks? Comments?
2012 RG Colorado Crew Cab, auto, alloy tray, OEM snorkel & tow bar, Dobinsons bullbar, Tigerz11 Grande 12000lb winch, GME TX3540, Yokohama Geolander AT/S 265/70 R16 on CSA Ranger 16x8 steelies, 2" Dobinson suspension lift, Poly Airbags, custom jack-off canopy, Austrack RT Tent & roll-out awning, OL side & scrub bars

Cyberess
Here and there

Unread post by Cyberess » January 27th, 2013, 11:23 am

Yeah -- I wish I knew about the poly fuel tank idea before hand -- it would of saved me wasting about $2500 dollars of crap :( , and would have been a better setup from the start. One thing to watch out for not all tray setups have the same space underneath them, so be careful before ordering.

I have yet to fit the tank, still getting all the fittings together, the tank came with a mounting kit that needs holes drilled into brackets.. I was surprised the the mounting kit came with no bolts at all -- especially the bolt the mounting brackets to the tank -- they are 1/2" UNC x 2/3" (I think that's the length) and it's not possible to use anything else, as it's a threaded blind holes -- they could be a real hassle to obtain if you were remote. That $75 filler kit that I purchased with the tank ain't worth either.

Yes the hardest part of this installation so far has been obtaining all the correct fittings and hoses, particularly the filler pipe setup.

You have asked how transfer system I am planning to use for the new setup -- just gravity feed.. as the auxiliary tank is above the main tank, and the filler points above both tanks .. how it will work is fill the main tank first and then the auxiliary tank, as the fuel gets used from the main tank the auxiliary tank will keep the main tank full, the only time the level starts to register on the fuel gauge is when the auxiliary tank is empty.

Will take plenty of photos of the setup on the way though the setup :)

Cheers

Return to “Utes”