Siggi's 80 Series "Icelandic Landcruiser"

Hilux_Max
Part of the furniture

Siggi's 80 Series "Icelandic Landcruiser"

Unread post by Hilux_Max » April 18th, 2010, 7:29 am

Thought I'd share this with you guys since it is pretty extreme.....

The only legally registered 80 series on 44" tyres in Australia.

Toyota Land Cruiser Australia
1994 80 Series Toyota Land cruiser formerly known as Siggibilt.

The truck was one of the first 80 series 4.2l turbo diesel auto-trans LCs imported into Australia. It was actually used by Toyota Australia for press testing. At the time, I was living in Australia, and wanted to introduce the Australian 4X4 community to Icelandic modifications. To this end, I translated the Icelandic regulations and presented them to the New South Wales (NSW) Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA), along with images of Icelandic vehicles that were similarly modified. I also presented my ideas to Toyota Australia, as at that time most 44" modified search and rescue vehicles were based on the 80 series LC.

The RTA were less than enthusiastic about my ventures, but Toyota Australia more so. They "lent" me the vehicle initially under some product development scheme. With a project vehicle secure, I got in touch with Toyota Iceland, P. Samuelsson, who now have a separate division for vehicle modifications called Arctic Trucks. They provided me with the fender flares and auxiliary hydraulic ram for the steering, plus some modification outlines.

Norm Needham, then owner of Traction4, a four wheel drive shop in NSW, allowed me to stick the truck into the back of his shop, and helped me carry out the modifications. All through the project, Norm, a veteran in the Australian 4X4 industry, was certain that I would never get the vehicle registered.

The regulations for vehicle modifications in Australia are very strict, but Australia has a local auto industry. For this industry there is a complete set of regulations called the Australian Design Rules (ADR). This is what I used. I hired an Automotive Engineer approved by the RTA to carry out ADR inspections. I had him test all aspects of the vehicle that were affected by the modifications. He carried out noise tests, and most importantly brake tests with a fully laden vehicle in order to certify that the additional wheel size would not affect emergency braking or brake fade. All the tests were passed within regulation. This was written up in an Engineers report that I still have a copy of. With this in hand, I went to an inspection station and got the vehicle registered. I believe it is the only legally registered 44” modified 4X4 in Australia to date.

With the vehicle registered, my product development project was completed, and I purchased the vehicle from Toyota Australia. The truck was very popular at Australian motor shows and was exhibited at quite a number of them.

When I left Australia the vehicle was purchased by Fred Smith, owner of Out of Town 4WD in NSW, a manufacturer of auxiliary water and fuel tanks. He later sold the vehicle to Terry Smith, owner of Exclusive Tyres in Queensland, importer of Cooper and Mickey Thompson tyres in Australia. As far as I know, Terry still owns the vehicle and uses it for long trips into the Australian outback.

So, in short, the purpose of modifying the vehicle was to introduce Icelandic 4X4 culture in Australia. I believe this succeeded although the RTA did not take the initiative, and form a clear set of regulations around them. I understand that people in Australia are modifying their vehicles outside of the regulations. They live in a certain routine. The police pulls them over for driving on oversized tyres, they get a nominal fine and a summons to an inspection station. They go home, put small tyres under the vehicle, pass the inspection, go home and put the big tyres on again. And the cycle later repeats itself.

Land Cruiser 80 series 1994. Known owner history:

1994-5 owned by Toyota Australia, initially used as a press test vehicle, later supplied to Siggi Jónsson as a project vehicle.

1995-7 owned by Sigurður Ingi (Siggi) Jónsson, then in NSW Australia.

1997-9 owned by Fred Black of Out of Town 4WD, NSW Australia, mainly used as a promotional vehicle for his business.

1999 to date (I think) owned by Terry Smith of Exclusive Tyres, Qld. Australia, used for outback travel and promotion.

Official Engineers Report for this vehicle - http://4x4offroads.net/ModifiedProductionVehicle.pdf
Just goes to show that if you follow the rule book closely in conjunction with an engineer thats willing to listen to you and understands and follows the project all the way through, anything is possible.
[b]TUFF IFS LUX's buildup -[/b] [url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=36064[/url]

[b]Monster-Rides -[/b] [url]http://www.monsterrides.com.au[/url]
[b]Rock Solid Toys -[/b] [url]http://www.rocksolidtoys.com[/url]

sudso
Need to get out more

Re: Siggi's 80 Series "Icelandic Landcruiser"

Unread post by sudso » September 24th, 2010, 12:34 am

Siggy also said in his full report that it passed the braking test on the standard cruiser brakes! :eek:

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » September 24th, 2010, 10:54 am

That is pretty amazing, had seen that one before but it does go to show that half of these trucks could be road legal with a bit of planning and engineering!
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

DGR02
Been here a while

Unread post by DGR02 » September 24th, 2010, 11:01 am

I think you will find the eng cert for NSW is for 37" tires ;) not 44's.

brooksy

Unread post by brooksy » September 24th, 2010, 10:16 pm

Ownership details aren't correct as 2 owners have had it since Terry, one of them being Tyre Works owned by Ryano's old man Wayne. They sold it earlier this year to another tyre mob.

brooksy
C44F - Custom 4x4 Fabrications
0400 443 802

wodger the bodger
Here and there

Unread post by wodger the bodger » September 29th, 2010, 10:38 am

A vehicles transmission/ differential/axle assembly that would reliably propel 44 inch tyres in relatively low traction conditions of ice and snow may not be adequate in the rugged mountain or desert regions of OZ,so I see practical application for such a unit as somewhat limited. However, without Toyota Aust blessing, If someone sourced all the components and performed the modifications exactly a Siggi did, what hope would they have of getting the vehicle legally registered in any state of Autralia? My guess is no hope what so ever.
Wodge.

Humvee
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Humvee » September 29th, 2010, 11:47 am

I beg to differ, there's a guy out Penrith way with a H1 thats on 42"s engineered and registered in NSW, although the standard size on H1s is 37", I like the 80 series though, its a nice job

OZZYLUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by OZZYLUX » September 29th, 2010, 11:57 am

so if i understand correctly siggi built this truck to prove a point??

Crunch
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Crunch » September 29th, 2010, 11:59 am

DGR02 wrote:I think you will find the eng cert for NSW is for 37" tires ;) not 44's.
There's even a link there to the engineers cert. :rolleyes: ...... ;)

I still think if you did that today, you'd be laughed at by the RTA... In fact, I can't see any engineers even taking that on. It was built and certified in 1997... Too much has changed since then.

LogiTech
Getting to know the place

Unread post by LogiTech » October 8th, 2010, 3:50 pm

wodger the bodger wrote:A vehicles transmission/ differential/CV Axle Assembly that would reliably propel 44 inch tyres in relatively low traction conditions of ice and snow may not be adequate in the rugged mountain or desert regions of OZ,so I see practical application for such a unit as somewhat limited. However, without Toyota Aust blessing, If someone sourced all the components and performed the modifications exactly a Siggi did, what hope would they have of getting the vehicle legally registered in any state of Autralia? My guess is no hope what so ever.
Wodge.
I have to agree with the other one here below.. thats all i can say.. you said it everything already.. LOL
Humvee wrote:I beg to differ, there's a guy out Penrith way with a H1 thats on 42"s engineered and registered in NSW, although the standard size on H1s is 37", I like the 80 series though, its a nice job

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » October 16th, 2010, 10:21 am

I was in the back seat of that at LCMP for a couple of days. It is pretty special to ride in - well set up suspension and cornering ability was surprising.

Bourke Patroler
Been here a while

Unread post by Bourke Patroler » October 25th, 2010, 9:44 am

LogiTech wrote:
wodger the bodger wrote:A vehicles transmission/ differential/CV Axle Assembly that would reliably propel 44 inch tyres in relatively low traction conditions of ice and snow may not be adequate in the rugged mountain or desert regions of OZ,so I see practical application for such a unit as somewhat limited. However, without Toyota Aust blessing, If someone sourced all the components and performed the modifications exactly a Siggi did, what hope would they have of getting the vehicle legally registered in any state of Autralia? My guess is no hope what so ever.
Wodge.
I have to agree with the other one here below.. thats all i can say.. you said it everything already.. LOL
Humvee wrote:I beg to differ, there's a guy out Penrith way with a H1 thats on 42"s engineered and registered in NSW, although the standard size on H1s is 37", I like the 80 series though, its a nice job
I have a mte with a 45 series that has been legally engineered from an engineer in grafton NSW with 40in or 42in tyers (Micky Thompson's) on it amoungst other things and this was registered and full engineered this yr ....

wodger the bodger
Here and there

Unread post by wodger the bodger » October 27th, 2010, 6:13 am

Going up from 37'' to 42'', an increase of 5'' on the Hummer is alittle different to going up from around 33'' to 44', an increase of 11''' on the Toy.
Wodge.

bentzook
Getting to know the place

Unread post by bentzook » February 22nd, 2011, 8:41 pm

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » February 22nd, 2011, 10:02 pm

A proper monster truck!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks