Good bye Colorado, Hello GQ troll!

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Re: Good bye Colorado, Hello GQ troll!

Unread post by MasterInnovator » January 24th, 2015, 7:59 pm

most likley Aaron, but it will also be able to withstand it a helluva lot better

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » January 27th, 2015, 11:24 pm

Start off with a flex shot :D

Mounted my 42" light bar tonight
fabbed up a bracket to mount to the roof using 3mm sheet, plasma cut to shape with a 90 degree bend for the base to attach to the roof

it is riveted to the roof(yes riveted!),fully sealed, looks schmick and does the job nicely
Yes I have heard it all about riveting but I like it and it works for me!

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » April 25th, 2016, 10:32 pm

Wow, has been awhilw since iv nbeen on the forumn and posted..... any way quick little update
Safe to say the gq i bought last year doesnt look anything like it does above.... has been alot of work put into it and plenty trips away and the old girls stitll going strong
I have a decent mod list racked up nkw and more to do still....as it sits its one capable truck, has taken me through the majority of thhe hardcore tracks at cruiser park before that closed up.....
Anyway ill post pictures later and hope to become bit more involved like i used to be once upon a time

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » April 25th, 2016, 10:58 pm

As promised pictures

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » April 25th, 2016, 11:44 pm

Mods done in the last year or so are as follows
Xlink-made myself using trailer hub and stub axle as pivot
3" flexi coils and 30mm poly spacers
6" shocks
35" 762 bighorns on neg 44 sunnys
New mamba 18g 8cm gtx 11 billet turbo
New 3" exhaust to 4"stack
Dualcqb chopped obviously, fully engineered
New intake using a nc ford fairlane v8 lid and panel filter and custom ss lower box to make it fit
4" ss snorkel
New kicker sub amd amp
Got the rear diff rebuilt
Rear bar
New front bar
Gloss black respray with new doors (original doors didnt withstand my short temper)
And finally got some personalised plates GTLO57> get lost or got lost hahaha
Everything done by me, pretty happy to say i havent payed anyone else to do a single thing (other then rebuild tne diff)

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » April 26th, 2016, 5:27 pm

You haven't lost any little bit in keeping true to your name Mr MasterInovater!!

Great job and happy to see that your Trol is still going strong!!

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » April 26th, 2016, 9:37 pm

Haha nearly didnt chop it....but became mates with a spray painter so we made a deal, i chop his and he resprays mine, so i figured if im going to the effort to chop someone elses and get mine painted may as well go and take a 5" to it

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » May 5th, 2016, 10:08 pm

Few pics from fraser trip last weekend, bit cloudy with the odd shower on the saturbay but sumday and monday were really good

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » May 24th, 2016, 8:13 pm

Bit of work was doone on the weekend. Removed the front end to work out why i wasnt getting the articulation im supposed to be getting, turns out i hadnt cut enough of the original radius arm mount off, and the xlink was catching it

Currently working to gain more clearance between the radius arms and the housing so that i can get alot more flex happening before the arms contact the housing.... and also trying to find some heim joints to put on the chassis side of the radius arms and redesigning the drop boxes

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » June 7th, 2016, 6:00 pm

Good ol troll :thumb:
Peter is very good at explaining these things for everyone to understand :)
I found that when i thought i was on full bump that in fact it was merely resting on it because my shock was full collapsed but still too long i found this out by removing shocks & cycling diff to find the bump stop squishes down a fair load more then i first thought so the fix was smaller shocks or taller coils & that was after fitting bump stop extensions.. Here's why the Hilux guys invert longer shocks ;)
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 7th, 2016, 7:02 pm

I said a few post back that you are bonkers. You still are mate and I am loving it.
I just love your gusto. Just get in and do it!!
Awesome job!!

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » June 12th, 2016, 6:14 pm

Got it all back together last weekend, ditched the heim joint idea with the reason neing that i didnt feel that the type of connection it would have had wouldnt be all that strong due to the design of the factory radius arm on the chassis side.

I did away witn my drop boxes and lowered the mounts on the xlink with castor plates to retain the castor. This gave me plenty of clearance between diff housing and arms in between the bolt holes of the radius arm...
Previous gap measurement was 16-20mm (never officiallly measured)
Current gap with the lowered xlink mounts is 47mm, so big difference

Im very impressed as where previous the front was abit dopey to work, with the xlink carching the radius arm nounts, the front is working a hell of a lot easier and alot quicker during the articulation cylce

Now because of the better clearamce and no more binding on the xlink, im getting alot more travel then what shocks allow, so need to buy new shocks. Im quite happy with the bump stop height, so once iv measure the travel and have bought the shocks im going to raise the shock tower more to stop the shocks bottoming out on compression. As the pictures display, trave, is all that exciting currently, but that is only a shock suited for 6" lift bottomed out, but with the shoc, unattached the 35" wheel drops well below the sill...so like i said definitely need to select some new shocks

I was going to do something about the draglink ends to stop the, binding up with big travell, but for the tracks available to me i wont ever need more articulztion the what the rod end allows....
Sorry for the story but tnought id put my findings and plans forward for whatever reason anyone requires hHa

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » June 26th, 2016, 9:55 pm

Unbolted the shock on the front todah to measure my travel to buy some bigger travel shocks, turns out the highest thing i had is not high enough still, im sure theres more travel in tne front plus the rear still has to tuck up another 2 to 2 1/2 inches at the wheel at the least, so unfortunately still not sure what travel shocks i will be needing, once i select a shock i will be raising tne upper shock mount to keep the current bumpstop length so the shock wont botto, out before it reaches the bump stop

MasterInnovator
Avid Poster

Unread post by MasterInnovator » July 12th, 2016, 11:28 pm

Got the patrol up on the forky at work, aim was to measure the total travel i have....
I have bent and braced my drag link which as far as k know is referred to as a z link so that at static ride height the rod ends are level which will allow extra down travel before they bind up. Still have a bit more bracing to do with the z link yet....
I have measured a total of 17" of physical travel at the shock mount, so will be find shocks with atleast 17" of travel in the front and will be raising the upper shock tower so i can retain my current bump stop length...will e converting to eye-eye shocks in the fro t as with this much travel it will be quiet possible to bend shock pins
Will be emailing dobbinsons in the nexr few days to see if they will be able to make me up som custom coils that are tall enough to keep weight on the axle at full droop, not fall out, compress fully on full compressiom with out binding up on itself and also so that at static heignt it will still sit at 4"

17 inches of travel at the shock mounts, well over 20 inches at the wheel at each corner on the front
At the rear as you see, ground to bottom of the tread of the 35 is 50inches

Bent and braced draglink

Bent and braced draglink, can see the rod ends are level...more bracing to do yet

Return to “Hardcore Trucks”