pommie in Zuk

Yush
Here and there

Re: pommie in Zuk

Unread post by Yush » March 13th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Fosters: Australia's most famous beer that most Australians have never actually drank.

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » March 13th, 2013, 10:01 pm

There is still more to come, I am redoing my whole blog that i had done last year for another site called Ragingrhions.co.uk and we are about half way through.

We still get grief mostly from rabbellers (AKA hikers) that we are messing up the countryside with our big wheels and noisy exhausts. not so much from other drivers, but we do get a lot of looks especially when you consider how big it looks next to a ford fiesta the average car of the brit.

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » March 13th, 2013, 10:02 pm

Yush wrote:Fosters: Australia's most famous beer that most Australians have never actually drank.

cant beat the piss poor taste of a fake Aussie beer!

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » March 13th, 2013, 10:31 pm

So After the suspension lift had settled a bit i thought.............
It needs to be a bit higher!

So next up was the 2" body lift,
it is starting to get a bit difficult to get in and out of now and proved to be good entertainment watching people unfamiliar with how to approach this task, and quite time consuming!

I did forget to do a before/after shot but it was quite a bit bigger, about 2" in fact funnily enough.
First half done

Then i started the other side.

Last edited by phebey on April 1st, 2013, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » March 20th, 2013, 6:41 pm

I managed to convinced my mate with the Red Sj to sell me his winch and his High Lift jack for a absolute steal.

Now before any one says anything I know the winch is a bit crap and old but it is better than nothing and has earned its keep.
So whilst the ball bar was off I thought i should have a go at setting up.

First i installed the wiring.

Then i set about mounting the winch on my home made ball bar.

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » March 20th, 2013, 6:43 pm

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » April 1st, 2013, 8:56 pm

All this work from now on is to help me when i take the SJ to a massive off roading event in France with some other guys with Zuk's, which is an annual event.

So next on my list was a engine up grade, from a 1.3 on a Webber carb to a 1.6 on standard carb system from a early vitara.

First thing i needed was a Ginger monkey!

The engine was built up and painted up Orange of course!

out with the old.

To do this conversion you either have to buy a conversion plate for the bell housing or
1. enlarge to bell housing bolt holes from m12 to m14
2. either get a smaller starter motor or shave a bit of metal of the side of the block(being carefull not to burst the water jacked)
3. modify the mounting holes for the passenger engine mount.
4. if you want to use the standard carb and filter you will need to have a 2" body lift or modify the the bonnet.

Well i had a small accident , you maybe able to see the cobble drive, it looks nice but is a nightmare to push a engine crane on, and the engine fell off the crane at full high!

I thought i got away with it so fitted the engine anyway as i only broke the dizzy cap mount and dented the sump.

The broken rotor Assembly

dent in the sump

Well i had real trouble getting it stared so I removed the spark plugs and turned the engine over and cup fulls of coolant came out of the spark plug holes. So it looks as if i have buggered some thing inside.

when i drained the engine oil pure coolant cam out followed some time later by the engine oil.

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » April 21st, 2013, 7:45 pm

So I have about a month till my trip to France the Ferry and camp sight are all booked, and things are looking bleak, I have run out of money to fix the sj in time.
feeling a bit disheartened I got stuck in and whipped the head off, and that is when i relised I had cracked the block !

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » April 21st, 2013, 7:50 pm

I got on the phone to a mate who wreaks suzuki's, all he had was a block and pistons from a 16v vitara engine which has been lying around in a shed for a long time by the looks of it. anyway he charged me next to nothing for it.

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » April 21st, 2013, 8:01 pm

so i set about stripping the old engine and cleaning and re building the new one.
i also removed the gear box this time coz it was a discussing oil greasy mess and it was bugging me.

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » April 21st, 2013, 8:20 pm

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » April 21st, 2013, 8:22 pm

sounds great my I Phone doesn't do this justice.

Return to “Hardcore Trucks”