pommie in Zuk

phebey
Here and there

pommie in Zuk

Unread post by phebey » February 14th, 2013, 8:20 pm

Hi there guys, i am a pommie and i have been in Australia for about a year.
when i was back in sunny England i had my first 4X4 a Suzuki SJ or AKA a Sierra over hear.
I have lifted this from my old thread so sorry if there are some things that don't make sense.

Right then it about time i did a thread on barbie.

I got the Sammy in 2007 and it was standard and also look like the mode of transport that barbie would use hence the name.

it didn't take long to find half the truck missing due to tin worm, so having never really been in this situation before me and my mates got stuck in patched it up and started bolting bit on i will let the pictures do the talking.
enjoy.
first bit off road crappy photo but you can see what i was dealing with, Barbies car!
got my self some wheels and tyres

i think you might can be able to tell that the front bumper is home made as well.
well it stayed like this for about bout a year or so and my rear light started playing about abd my bumper rotted out so i made my own but it was rubbish so it didnt last long.
my luck wasn't in this month this was embarrassing in rush hour, and i was just about to go on the motorway and just after fixing it by the side of the road i got pulled by the police.

prob in 2008 now.
Last edited by phebey on February 14th, 2013, 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

phebey
Here and there

Re: pommie in Zuk

Unread post by phebey » February 14th, 2013, 8:21 pm

well this ment it was a good reason to fit vitara axels so i had bigger brakes and wheel bearings. So a quick trip to leigh's and B&Q on the way home for some paint. let the refurb begin, i also got my self some new seals for the front CV joints.

a quick pic with my mates SJ which was mint, not a spot of rust on it. this was a old photo after we just did a spring over axle on both trucks.

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » February 15th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Last edited by phebey on March 1st, 2013, 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » March 1st, 2013, 7:26 pm

so 2009 now and i also gained another partner in crime little mat with his vitara.

managed to source a rear bumper and some new rear lights and rewired the hole truck from the engine bay back. i also got my self a raceing steering wheel from the breakers i saw it and had to have it,to make my SJ faster and handle better obviousy! and a i got a roll cage at some point but havent any before or after pics. I wouldnt trust it to save my life but its better than nothing.

Last edited by phebey on March 1st, 2013, 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » March 1st, 2013, 7:37 pm

Then came the 33" didn't really need these but they look the nuts and it was a bit of a impulse buy. It took four of use and some racket straps to get the tyres to seal on the rims, i have since then mastered the art with the lighter gas trick.

]

so with my new wheels it was time to go lanning with some of the guys from this site on boxing day i think this was.

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » March 1st, 2013, 7:48 pm

stayed like this till 2010 in which time i did a pay and play in dartford with ricky and his sj + his mate vitara.

well the drive home took a lot longer than expected. not quite as long as on the way up there because we where in convoy of Land Rovers that are incredibly slow.(so slow ,that they couldn't keep up with at truck half its size with a 1.3LTR engine and 33")
The radiator was so clocked with mud after sticking it in some big holes and we had no way of cleaning it.
and It also developed a miss fire so it was only running on thre cylinders which turned out to be knacked HT leads.
so with a combination of reving it to keep it going along the A2 and it over heating due to radiator blocked and lossing most of my coolant we ended up like this a lot!

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » March 1st, 2013, 8:34 pm

By this time my partner in crime had got rid of his vitara and gained a sj from spike.

so we spent most of the next few weeks transforming his little sj.
First off was the bull bar and a lick of paint.

Then came a new set of wheels.

as It didn't come with a roof, and that is just stupid in England, We turned it in to a pick up.

Then can the Leaf over axle conversion (about 7-9 inch lift) we also did a rear disc conversion.

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » March 1st, 2013, 8:46 pm

So we after all that work we just started using them for what they are ment for for the next few months.

Then he managed to roll it on a straight road/track after clipping a tree, going a bit to fast i think! which was quite narrow and made it very difficult to recover him

you can see the state of the leaf spring after impact.

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » March 1st, 2013, 8:52 pm

so we spent most of the next few weeks transforming his little sj.

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » March 1st, 2013, 9:07 pm

I was starting to fed up with the fumes from my exhaust getting in to my cab, i think it was because of the crappy exhaust some one before me put on there. and i also liked the look of my mates conversion. so i decided to turn it in to a pick up.

So i got my self a rear door of a tin top SJ and set about chopping it up to fill the space behind my seats.

made a Template sort of!

Now i am not as short as Little Mat which and I have a big set of seats so i was unable to make the door fit as snug as i would of liked so it had to sit out a few inches.

I decided to rivet it together as i wasn't feeling confident enough to weld it in nicely, but i now think that i should of welded it.

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » March 1st, 2013, 9:22 pm

Next up was a battery, as it was ment for a BMW and not a Rice burner naturally it didn't fit very well under the bonnet so i relocated it to behind the passenger seat.

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » March 1st, 2013, 9:24 pm

Let me know what you guys think so far?

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » March 9th, 2013, 2:22 pm

phebey
Here and there

Unread post by phebey » March 9th, 2013, 2:39 pm

right well next up is a suspension overhaul.
all the springs have been staring to sag more so on the drivers side.
new leaf springs, to me anyway and new leaf spring bushes.

new with old, i have replaced the normal three pack springs with singular parabolics which are much stronger and easier to bend to give me the best lift.

Yush
Here and there

Unread post by Yush » March 13th, 2013, 3:43 pm

This thread is fantastic! Good to get some insight on the 4x4 culture on the other side of the world - I guess a whole lot of mudding makes sense considering the grassy fields + lots of rain. Do you cop it from all the nannies and greenies driving their super efficient, extra small hatch backs as bad as we get it here in Oz? I reckon it would be worse over there - even though you're driving something half the size of some of the trucks around here.

So what/where/when/how's the truck doing? is it still in the motherland and you've moved over here?

Return to “Hardcore Trucks”