Mid wheel base GU patrol ute build up

AceOxide
Part of the furniture

Re: Mid wheel base GU patrol ute build up

Unread post by AceOxide » February 13th, 2012, 4:32 pm

are u sure u have calulated your arm lenth correct ?? to me it looks like that diff is rolling foward quite bad and look at the spring perce. i got a awesome link for working out links ill chuck it up for u mate :) love your work tho

AceOxide
Part of the furniture

Unread post by AceOxide » February 13th, 2012, 4:34 pm

toughnut
Here and there

Unread post by toughnut » February 13th, 2012, 8:19 pm

Yeah mate. I have calculated correctly. I just haven't made them yet. Thats the lower arms on the top just to hold the diff pretty much in place and then a strap to stop the pinion from dropping on the ground.

Its all good. Just mocking it up to see how things will fit. The proper arms are coming just need the time to make them and a few more bits and pieces before I build the rear section behind the cab and brace everything up. This isn't my first run around the block with building a race truck. Thanks for the concern though.
Project "Mid wheel base GU ute" is about to get underway.

viewtopic.php?f=188&t=112933

AceOxide
Part of the furniture

Unread post by AceOxide » February 14th, 2012, 1:31 pm

o ok cool :) didnt mean to offend u at all was just a bit worried with that pinion angle, but that makes more sence :)

toughnut
Here and there

Unread post by toughnut » March 9th, 2012, 4:54 pm

AceOxide wrote:o ok cool :) didnt mean to offend u at all was just a bit worried with that pinion angle, but that makes more sence :)
No stress mate. I'm not really known for doing things the way normal people do them. haha.

toughnut
Here and there

Unread post by toughnut » March 10th, 2012, 9:13 pm

Well I cut sick with the plasma cutter today and got some new bling as well. So another step forward in the build. You might notice that I've cut the spring hats off the chassis again as well as cutting the spring base off the diff. You'll just have to wait and see why. :D

AceOxide
Part of the furniture

Unread post by AceOxide » March 11th, 2012, 12:17 pm

<---likes coilovers

Toyholden
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Toyholden » March 12th, 2012, 3:10 pm

LOOKIN GOOD mate,I bought a package off MARKS i was unsure about a few things so ELLIOT from sales helped me with the right bits, i spent $1350.00 & found the A/T rear shaft they sent was too short in the spline machining by 7mm so i machined off 8mm myself with a fine file (T/CASE wouldnt mate up to xtension housing) they said i did something wrong also the oil temp addaptor needed addons & water temp addaptor was incorrect sender size, my build has taken over six months before i relised these issues so i called ELLIOT he said its his fault send the addaptor back & we will refund you so i sent it reg post $11.00 he sent it back & said they have 6 month no return policy, we discussed this at my first call back, this addaptor cost $45.00 & my local Dynotune made me the correct addaptor for $12.00....

I found him to be insensative & very RUDE "RIPPOFF" :D :D :D DUCK :D :D :D
______________**BUILT NOT BOUGHT & FULLY ENGINEERED**______________
Toyota SURF 94 > 308 V8 - TH350 > SNAKEracing 4IN Lift Kit > 30mm Body Lift
Mickey Thompson 33x12.5xR15 MTZ'S + Micky Thompson Dick Cepec 15x8 Rims

toughnut
Here and there

Unread post by toughnut » March 19th, 2012, 6:58 pm

Thanks Toyholden, I'm going to run a C4 and atlas transfer so I won't need a conversion kit for this project.
Well I've been in the shed playing with the plasma and the mig again. But this time I've been cutting bits to weld back onto the truck. Just some fish plates to strengthen the chassis where I've cut out the old cross member. Have I already said how much I love my new MIG and plasma cutter? I'll plate the outside of the chassis as well but first I need to recess the hydraulic bump stops into the outside egde of the rails.

toughnut
Here and there

Unread post by toughnut » March 20th, 2012, 6:23 pm

Well I finally put my hand towards making some rear trailing arms. I have some stronger ones on their way but I wanted to test a design that I had in my head. I'm going to be using an anti rock sway bar on the rear so with these lower arms I'll be notching out the top rail and plating the sides so that the mounting point for the vertical link of the sway bar will be recessed into the trailing arm. Very similar to the rear trailing arms that the desert racers use but the suspension won't be mounted off these like they do.

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » March 20th, 2012, 10:05 pm

good to see some more progress.

AceOxide
Part of the furniture

Unread post by AceOxide » March 20th, 2012, 10:43 pm

suprised you didnt kick the rails in just after the rear top suspension arms to allow for more clearance with the coilovers
and bumpstops

toughnut
Here and there

Unread post by toughnut » March 21st, 2012, 1:10 am

The comps that I'll be running in don't allow that sort of modification and the diff really isn't that far behind the cab so it would have to be a fairly fearce kick in on the rails. The bump stops will be recessed into the outside of the rails and the rest of the suspension will be inboard of the rails. I wouldn't want them to be outside the chassis rails anyway because the tyres might hit them at full flex. There should be a lot more flex from this setup compared to standard.

toughnut
Here and there

Unread post by toughnut » March 21st, 2012, 5:27 pm

I got a little bit more done today on the truck. The new hydraulic bump stops didn't come with mounting cans so I thought I'd make my own. The first one was a bit fiddly trying to figure out how it would all fit but it turned out pretty nice for my first attempt. The rest should be a lot faster to make now that I have the basic design sorted.

AceOxide
Part of the furniture

Unread post by AceOxide » March 21st, 2012, 9:04 pm

nice nice. i seen this idea on the BIG O comp truck they built and loved it. so many good ideas on that thing

Return to “Hardcore Trucks”