Mid wheel base GU patrol ute build up

toughnut
Here and there

Mid wheel base GU patrol ute build up

Unread post by toughnut » May 24th, 2011, 6:57 am

G'day guys,
Hopefully my project will fit into this Hardcore Truck section. :D

This project is still very much in the early stages. These are a couple of pics of my old GU ute that I built up. I'll be building something similar but I'll be changing all the things that I didn't really like such as the wheel base.

I don't have this truck any more which is why I'm building another toy.
Project "Mid wheel base GU ute" is about to get underway.

viewtopic.php?f=188&t=112933

toughnut
Here and there

Re: Mid wheel base GU patrol ute build up

Unread post by toughnut » May 24th, 2011, 6:59 am

This is the basic plan so far:

I already have a Mav shorty but I really miss my GU ute that I had previously. The main thing that I didn't really like with the GU was the long wheel base. So here is my thought.

Extend my shorty chassis to around 104 inch wheel base. (Originally 94 inches)
Place a GU ute cab on the chassis with a 50mm body lift.
Braced and laminated GU diffs with upgraded brakes, lockers, CV's and hubs.
LS1 engine conversion.
3in suspension lift with triangulated rear
Coil over or air suspension (undecided)
kevlar panels
tubed tray area
mid mount winches
Custom bar work
Roll cage
Sport seats/harnesses etc.
On board air
37's

Should look and go pretty well. Happy for input on the car as I go. My choices won't be the same as what other people would choose but that is what makes them my choice. I'll keep people updated as the build progresses.

I'm not one to be secretive about work that I do to my car so I'll be happy to do write ups on specific things as I go along.

Cheers
Steve

toughnut
Here and there

Unread post by toughnut » May 24th, 2011, 7:02 am

I found out that the GU cab is about 1950mm from the front hub to the bottom rear corner of the cab and the wheel base on a shorty is only 2400mm which means there is only 350mm between the back of the cab and the centre of the rear hub. This is what has dictated how far I extend the chassis. I'll be extending the chassis by 240mm. This will make the chassis 104 inches long and will give me enough room for a 37 inch tyre to fit comfortably and still have about 80mm between the tyre and the cab.

I've been weighing up some Rock Monster wheels against some Walker Evans. Has anyone had anything to do with Rock Monster wheels? They look like an ok concept.

http://www.rockmonsterwheels.com/produc ... yotatrucks

Here's the manual for them.

http://www.rockmonsterwheels.com/docs/R ... Manual.pdf

toughnut
Here and there

Unread post by toughnut » May 24th, 2011, 7:04 am

I'm also having a look at this hydraulic winch for the truck. It looks the goods. They are around $2200AU plus postage just for the winch withouth the pump or controls.

http://www.firstfour.co.uk/red-hydrauli ... 725605.php

One of the biggest planning desisions for me is whether to extend the chassis or to extend the trailing arms and move the shock/spring mounts.

I'm thinking that if I go with a different suspension setup such as coil overs I may just extend the linkages. This will obviously have an affect on the angle of the triangulated upper arms though so I may need to move the chassis mount for those back a little. Then how will this affect the lower mounts and the way the diff moves in its upward travel in relation to the tail shaft angle and anti squat characteristics.

With all that in mind it may be easier just to cut the chassis in front of the suspension mounts and extend it. But then I'll need to change all the hard lines for fuel and brakes etc. I'd have to do this anyway because I'm planning on running a custom fuel cell and the brake lines would still need extending because of the new wheel base.

It looks like it would be better to extend the chassis. If I do this then I would have to be careful where I choose to cut it and try to tie it in with my roll over protection. I'm planning on a body lift so I should have room underneath to brace the chassis beneath the cab and with the tube rear tray and all the frame work for mid mounted winches etc it should be plenty strong enough.......... I hope.

toughnut
Here and there

Unread post by toughnut » May 24th, 2011, 7:05 am

I thought I'd do up a quick estimate of costs for some of the bigger items for the build.

MAV shorty $3000 Already have one
GU cab $1500ish I really have no idea.
GU front diff Braced $1500
Suspension $3000
Chassis extension $1500ish Again don't really know
Hydraulic winch $5000
High mount comp spec $5000
Rear winch $500
Bar work (inside and out) $5000 I'll do most of it myself
Seats and harnesses $2000
Radio and GPS $2000
Paint $1000
Wheels and tyres $3500
Diff lockers $1000
Lights (LED Bars/HID) $1500
Engine (standard V swap $5000 I'll upgrade the engine again later
Kevlar/Carbon panels $3500 It'll be less if I just keep the steel doors

So thats a total of a bit over $45000. That doesn't include all the little fiddly things that always cost money as well such as wiring, batteries extra alternators etc. There is easy another 5-10k worth of stuff in there that isn't acounted for. Probably more.

Just thought I'd throw it out there so people get a bit of an idea of the costs involved in building a truck like this. And these costs are fairly conservative. Take into account that I'll be building this without any sponsorship this time. This truck is purely for me and me alone.

toughnut
Here and there

Unread post by toughnut » May 24th, 2011, 7:06 am

I've got the quotes in for the conversion kits for the engine. Now the one thing to look at here is the difference in the kits. Both Dellow and Castlemaine rod shops offer the same kit as in there is a complete replacement bellhousing. But the Mark's adapter kit has an adapter plate that spaces the engine forward 72mm. It says that it does this to move the engine forward so it doesn't hit the firewall.

Has anyone used the dellow or castlemaine kits? If so did you have to do any firewall mods?

Anyway here are the prices of the 3 kits. The Dellow and Castlemaine kits look the same so I'm wondering if Castlemaine just sell the Dellow kit.

Dellow Automotive:
Bellhousing $550+
spigot $35+
flywheel $350+
pressure plate heavy duty $235+
clutch plate $155+
engine mount kit universal $175+
Total $1500

Castlemaine Rod Shop:
GQ patrol to Chev/holden V8 bell housing $587
This includes spigot + 14 piece bolt/washer set
Thrust extension $45
Clutch plate $225
Pressure plate $233
Universal engine mounts $225
Total $1315

Marks Adapters:
Adaptor flywheel housing, input shaft extension, thrust bearing extension carrier, flywheel cover plate, spigot bearing and adaptor, oil pressure sender adaptor, water temperature sender adaptor & instructions. $1020
Engine mount kit $325
Clutch kit $435-575
Total $1880-2020 depending on clutch

I will be buying the Tacho interface from Mark's $165
A stand alone wiring loom is from about $300

I'm really not too sure about the Marks adaptor kit. I don't really like the idea of a spacer plate and then a shaft extension. Its also the most expensive one although it does have some of the adaptors for oil and water etc.

Has anyone had experience with the Mark's Adapter kit?

toughnut
Here and there

Unread post by toughnut » May 24th, 2011, 7:14 am

Well I have a GU ute cab that I've bought for $1100 with all the panel but the interior has been stripped. I've sourced an almost complete interior for under $500 as well so its looking pretty good.

The interior doesn't have seats though which suits me fine. I was going to put in some decent sports seats anyway. Something like a set of Bride kevlar seats.

Having the interior stripped out is also a good thing because I can put the roll cage in before I fit the interior panels. It will all be up to Camms and CCDA specs but it won't be certified unless I decide to go racing.

taspatrol
Been here a while

Unread post by taspatrol » May 24th, 2011, 7:17 am

i would try and steer clear of shaft extensions especially in high power applications would be better off moving gear box/transfer case or massage the firewall a bit

Waitesy
Avid Poster

Unread post by Waitesy » May 24th, 2011, 8:04 am

mate this thing sounds like its going to be super cool haha can't wait to see it get built.

cheers Waitesy
My Rigs:
1982 HJ47 troopy cut down, lifted and locked.
1988 HJ75 ute slowly getting rebuild.
1985 HJ60 coiled comp truck.
as we grow older, we don't grow up our toys just get bigger and more expensive.

Deans4by

Unread post by Deans4by » May 24th, 2011, 9:45 am

Agree with Waitesy there sounds like an awesome project. :thumb: Love the pics of the other one you built. Looking forward to watching the build progress make sure to post heaps of pics as you go along. Good luck with the project and have fun.
Happy 4wding
Dean
Who cares what 4wd you have just get out and use it.
MK Triton 2.8L TD a few mods goes alright.

ozzymate
Been here a while

Unread post by ozzymate » May 24th, 2011, 4:52 pm

sounds like this will be an interesting build can't wait for you to start, make sure you get lots of pics

toughnut
Here and there

Unread post by toughnut » May 25th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Thanks guys. I hope it'll live up to my expectations. Its not a no expense spared build but I'll hopefully be able to put the money where it really needs to go without getting too carried away. :rolleyes:

I've just scored an LS1 today for less than $800. It'll be getting a complete rebuild and a stroker kit to bring it out to 6.3L. I'd love to put a supercharger on it but my budget just won't stretch that much in the initial build up so I'll just have to wait a while. :(

toughnut
Here and there

Unread post by toughnut » June 3rd, 2011, 10:01 pm

Well I finally spoke to the engineer that I'll be getting to sign off on my build up. He was very helpful and had some really good input as well. Basically everything that I'm planning is fine to do and with the appropriate inspections he is more than happy to sign off on all of the mods that I want to make.

So the plan so far is as follows:

Extend shorty wheelbase from 94 to 104 inches. Either by extending the linkages or chassis. Probably a bit of both depending on how much I want to lift the suspension. I'll ask him about the wheel track as well.

Use a GU cab and front axle.

Use coil over suspension providing that the spring rates don't change the GVM otherwise that will need to have extra consideration.

Tube the front section of the body.

V8 conversion. In the engineers words. "Because this is a comercial chassis there is no limit to the size of the engine that can be fitted". haha. Hmmmmm. A 512CU Keith Black big block would be nice. lol.

Full roll cage and tube work.

35 inch tyres. He did ask if I'd like to engineer it for larger tyres. I'll see. lol.

He really wasn't stressed about the body at all. He only wants to see the chassis once the modifications have been done to the wheel base, suspension and engine mounts. He did say that it was my choice whether I wanted to drop by with the chassis before I made the mods and chat with him about it. He was a great help and definately not an obstructionist at all.

I have his details if anyone would like me to pass them on. I also have some details of a guy that I've been told to steer clear of. If you live anywhere near Newcastle in NSW I highly recommend this guy. Well at this stage anyway. He is all about common sense and making it safe but still highly functional. Makes it easy to stay excited about the buildup.

BJ31OS
Been here a while

Unread post by BJ31OS » June 3rd, 2011, 11:25 pm

Hi mate can you PM me the guys name and number that you will be using to get stuff engineered

Also this build sounds amazing

toughnut
Here and there

Unread post by toughnut » June 5th, 2011, 4:25 pm

BJ31OS wrote:Hi mate can you PM me the guys name and number that you will be using to get stuff engineered

Also this build sounds amazing
PM sent. Cheers

Return to “Hardcore Trucks”