Guss' NM Pajero "Mods, Trip Pics & more"

Doogsay
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Guss' NM Pajero "Mods, Trip Pics & more"

Unread post by Doogsay » May 3rd, 2014, 9:38 am

Have only just found this thread. All seems quiet here lately... whats been happening with the Paj Guss?
My ones all stock, no mods.
Yours looks awesome and I have plenty of questions.
Based in Perth, the only proper offroad trip I have ever done was recently to Dirk Hartog Island.
The final leg to the barge pickup point is 110km of heavy corrugations followed by 25km of hilly loose sand tracks.
We did the away leg at night too. Great fun!!

I am getting your rims/tyres and a similar roof rack/awning combo. Its done. Perhaps an increased tank also.
But besides that, what would be your suggestion as the most important first up mod to do to it?
Would those rims/tyres necessitate suspension changes or could that be done later?

Mud doesn't seem such a problem on the west coast, we have more sandy tracks so that might require a change in tyres. What would be your tyre pick for a sandy environment for these (your Ballistic) rims?
What did the rims cost on the East coast?

Think I read somewhere your car featured on a DVD, how would I get hold of that?

Thanks mate
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doogsay
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Doogsay » May 3rd, 2014, 10:38 am

...one more: those skinz protector plates do look like a worth while addition and not too expensive also, but surely after use dirt is gonna get packed up in there.
Does that mean I need to take them off after each trip for a clean out?

Cheers

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 3rd, 2014, 11:48 am

Guss is still around and his vehicle is even better than ever these days, but like quite a few others here, he is having difficulties getting on and doing things on the Forum - 'the white screen of death' or 'bad gateway' messages plague many, and then there are issues with re-authentication that can make it hard to post anything too. Since Guss has a lot of 'other responsibilities' here, he tends to address those other things instead of updating this thread as much as he'd like - a sacrifice that I am vastly grateful for, cos without him doing what he does as and when he can, it'd be a whole lot harder for me!!

However, all up that means that while you might not get to see quite as much from him here as you'd like, and Guss might not be able to reply as and when he'd like, he is still here, the Paj is still around and doing things, scoring a few ongoing upgrades & the odd change of mind as he finds things don't work quite the way he wanted (or sometimes... expected) and if/when he can, he'll answer. If he can't get to post it himself, I'll see if he can send me something to out up for him (but I'm having issues with getting emails atm too, so that adds a little more trouble to the mix!)

So if you don't get an immediate response, he's not ignoring you (or the thread), it's just that he's having some issues that make it hard to get back to this! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Guss
Admin

Unread post by Guss » May 3rd, 2014, 1:35 pm

Thanks Peter ;)

Hi David.. As far as mods well how deep are your pockets :lol: I've owned the Paj from new so it's evolved over near 12 years.. :)

If yours a Diesel whack an Airtec Snorkel on it 1st mod I'd do!

I would look at suspension if still stock you'll notice a huge improvement in ride & handling.. Just make sure that you list what mods you intend getting! As this will determine what coils.. H/Duty, medium & go from there.
With all the accessories on mine I have H/Duty up front & H/Duty progressive rated coils rear..
Plus Polyair Bags, (rear), as I tow an off road van..

Tyres the Bridgestone 697s would be O'K very impressed so far with them, handled all I've thrown at them.

Cost of Rims I'll have to look for the invoice it's slipped my memory, I'll get back to you on that 1 :rolleyes:

Yes Issue 117 boy that seems a long time ago.. the Paj has had some big changes/upgrades since then too, the van that was in the same issue has done some great trips inc. Gibb & Tanami... EMG sell back issues contact them!

Bushskins bashplates are great mud doesn't seem to get caught up & the little that may is easily hosed out as you can see from wheel arch.

Guss. ;)
200 Series VX Twin-Turbo V8 Diesel Landcruiser
viewtopic.php?f=187&t=160755

NM 3.2 DID Pajero with a few Mods. SOLD..

viewtopic.php?f=187&t=34585

Doogsay
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Doogsay » May 4th, 2014, 4:09 pm

Guss thanks for the effort in your reply and in general in this forum.
Can you tell me for getting quotes out West:
Would your 697s fit ok on the stock rims you had previously - and I have now?
What is the full size/description of the Mickey Thompsons you had on the stock rims?

Also, am I right in saying that the Bushskinz are easy to remove should I need to for cleaning? Looks like they would be to me from looking at the pic. The front plate is designed for intercooler protection but would you still recommend for use on a petrol engine? Pretty small $$s either way so why not...

Thanks mate

Guss
Admin

Unread post by Guss » May 6th, 2014, 10:22 am

Hi David sorry for the delay mate..

The M/Thompson MTZs are 265/75R16s rolling diameter is 814 so yes they fit on the standard rims 697s same size but rolling diameter is only 804 & just inside the guards on the Ballistc rims which are a +21 offset against stock +46 so no worries fitting on the standard rims..

The MTZs fitted on the Ballistic rims would be outside the guards.. Pending on your sag/lift & front bar if they will fit/rub. Remembering I have roughly a 2" lift with suspension & my Bar has good clearance.

Yes easy to remove bash plates, just make sure they don't use a rattle gun to do them up!

Guss. ;)

Doogsay
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Doogsay » May 9th, 2014, 6:00 am

Thanks again Gus,

Re the DueIers I work on a minesite with Landcruisers of all shape and description.
The best tyre I've seen on any of them (including the medical vehicles) are 673s.
I get the feeling the 697s of yours would have to be some of the toughest out there.

Cheers

Guss
Admin

Unread post by Guss » May 9th, 2014, 7:53 am

Hi David,
The 697s are a great L/T tyre but it comes down to the type of Roads/tracks you travel for tyre choice strong side walls are important as airing down is a must for off road .. Alignment & the right pressure plays a big part in the life of any tyre, mine get balanced & aligned every 20Thou.

Guss. ;)

Doogsay
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Doogsay » May 16th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Hey Gus,

Any luck with finding a price on your Ballistics? Can you tell me who you got them through?

Dave

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 16th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Hey Dave, Guss tells me the Ballistics are about $270 each; and he got them thru Bob Jane T-Mart in Traralgon.... he's having hassles getting on (again) today!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Guss
Admin

Unread post by Guss » September 11th, 2014, 9:04 am

Thanks Peter for passing on replies.. blimey time flies didn't realise the issues of me being able to log on put not post without getting the white page of death was so long.. All sorted now thanks to Justin.

Since my last post & after installing the 3" system, (turbo back), I found my economy suffered a little & you could smell a strong diesel smell from the rear so the Safari chip being for a stock Paj was my suspicion & as I had a good mate who has a Stock Paj used mainly for towing he was happy to take :) So on went a DP Chip factory set for a 3" system & boy what an improvement economy back, no smell & far smoother idle. As far as comparing to the safari all I can say is I was always happy. With the addition of the 3" exhaust & upgrading to a tuned DP Chip is a mod I should have done years ago!

Guss ;)

Snapcatcher
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Snapcatcher » September 26th, 2014, 2:32 pm

That rear bar looks great. The opposite lock bar on mine provided good protection but was pretty ugly. Yours fits in well with the lines of the vehicle.
2005 Nissan Patrol 4.8, Sahara bar, Runva winch, 2' lift on 33' KM2s

Written off - NM Pajero on 33's and some other good bits
Build thread - http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79366

Guss
Admin

Unread post by Guss » October 2nd, 2014, 6:28 pm

Hi SC, sorry for the delay been away on leave :D Very happy with the look but really like yours reason doing it was for protection.. looks was a bonus & worth waiting for! ;)

Guss
Admin

Unread post by Guss » November 25th, 2014, 7:38 am

Finally bit the bullet & updated the old IPF D/lights & decided to go with these:

Best lighting I've ever had on a vehicle by far..

Guss ;)

Guss
Admin

Unread post by Guss » December 9th, 2014, 9:17 pm

Nice spread as well as distance..

Guss. :cool:

Return to “Tourers”