My 4runner tourer crawler mud pig

All4Runner
Getting to know the place

My 4runner tourer crawler mud pig

Unread post by All4Runner » December 18th, 2017, 2:51 pm

Hey all. Stuggling to put up photos but... i have a 1990 aussie new 4runner best running and starting hilux let alone vehicle ive been in. Just a run down as i have 99.9% finished it... shes straight as an arrow typical qld faded bonnet and roof but that doesn't stop it haha.. its jacked up with a 50mm bodylift...suspension is 50mm with RAWS in the front and torsion bars and trutrac locker/lsd holy s*** they really work, ranchos and 50mm kingprings rear with airbags flexs like a gymjunkie on roids... rear mechanical locker inside factory shimmed 4pinion lsd makes lots of noise but worth every second of it almost like a fail safe if lsd fails the locker still works its a weird setup but works awesome mechanics scratch their head everytime.. 4.88 gears front and rear it will crawl everything. new rotors pads and cylinders all round new bearings seals etc... new cooling system all round new batts front and rear... everything on the roof is rhinoracks hilift jack shovels 4x maxtracks spare tire all mounted on roof... 30"wide beam lightbar on roof led spotties on front all on switches... custom rear bar heaps of clearance... 2" rocksliders... xrox front bar... ironman 9500 monster winch wireless. Massive stereo uhf all wireless and handsfree microphone on steering column.. full recovery kit engel fridge etc etc... getting tired of typing now haha. I just need to make draws for the rear and its done. Built to tour but can keep up easily with cruisers and patrols on the hard tracks and i know u guys will hate to hear it but it goes alot further than they can with proven results over and over.. and alot of guys staring with envy and being mind blown at the capability of it. My dream is to get it in the magazine as a feature or to atleast join the ECOMUSE and DIRTY30 on a decent trip As proof to myself and the rest of aus ya dont need big trucks to do the hard stuff. Just technique and the right gear.. and some bigg balls when the old ifs gets onto crazy wheel lifting angles but keeps on moving 4ward. Cheers once i figure out photos i will post them.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: My 4runner tourer crawler mud pig

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 18th, 2017, 10:22 pm

Hi All4R, just below the Submit button on the Post Reply or Full Editor & Preview screen, there's a red tag labelled 'Attachments', hit that, then Add Files, & choose how you want to load your pics/images, or you could even just drag & drop them onto the message box where you put the rest of the text of your post. Easy as, no need to use hosting sites etc, & if there's ever any hassles down track, there's even a chance we'll be able to match the image to the post & recover them!

And just by the way, while the Detroit/Eaton TruTrac is a bloody fantastic Performance Limited Slip Diff & will get you much further than an open diff or most 'lesser' LSD's, it is just a Limited Slip Diff (albeit one of the best) & as such not as good as a proper Diff Lock, altho it still allows full differential action when you need to turn (unlike mechanical or air lockers) cos it will only LIMIT the slip produced when one wheel spins by transferring it across to the grounded wheel, basically giving you as near to a 50/50 share of drive to each wheel on that axle, which is as good as you are going to get from any LSD type torque SHARING device, but it will still direct the most drive to the wheel with the LEAST traction, which is not much good to anything! For True LOCKING differential action that pretty much directs ALL of the effective drive to the wheel with the MOST Traction & yet still @allows full differential action while steering/turning, you need to skip past the 'on or off' mechanical/air lockers & go to something like a Detroit/Eaton Locker, commonly called Auto Lockers - where unlike the virtually zip drive to the grounded wheel that you'll get from an open diff, the Detroit Locker will give you closer to 100% drive at the wheel with most traction, instead of a bit less than the 50% you'll get from the TruTrac; but then they are generally even more expensive than the TruTrac! The traction is phenomenal tho, and it still lets you turn & steer like a good LSD will! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

All4Runner

Unread post by All4Runner » December 19th, 2017, 12:46 am

Cheers Mate when i get to the computer ill try. And forgot to mention i didnt do the previous owner did and couldnt remember brand and said maybe detroit maybe trutrac lol both same brand many different options been in there 11years b***h to turn plenty of reversing or on and off gas on tight corners to release the front or stop sledging off camber lol but its definitely a detroit just not sure what type got paper work for one just no model number. And in 11 years only done one axle in the front as i didnt know how mechanical lockers worked in the front of ifs at the time and weaved between tight trees rear tire caught a tree i was under full lock and tried to power around...it worked but drivers side shattered. Ive learnt since and 4.8s make everything so much more controllable.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 19th, 2017, 8:57 am

Sounds like you might have a full on Detroit Locker instead of the (still very good but not quite so great) Detroit TruTrac Helical Geared LSD!! The 'been in there 11 years' sorta adds to that too - back then, it seems more people were aware of the full on lockers & not quite so much in love with the lunch box locker cheapies or aware of the 'smooth as' top end LSD's like the TruTrac's... altho it sounds like you've got a bit of a mix there anyway! But I bet that the 4.8 gearing does go a loooong way towards making things sooo much better off road, doesn't it?! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

All4Runner

Unread post by All4Runner » December 21st, 2017, 10:25 pm

I sit at roughly 2900-3000rpm at 100-105kph so use a bit more diesel but off 65l tank get roughly depending on driving and use of lowrange.. 485-580km a tank.. uses stuff all in lowrange tho cos its just above idle and the 4.8s make next to no strain on driveline or engine... i drove up a nasty rut/hillclimb the other day nearly as nasty as gunshot but up it.. walked up in first gear till tires got over the top then gave a lil right boot kicked rear locker in front slid 400mm sideways due to torque in front lock im guessing rear kicked in and only one rotation of wheelspin before everything grabbed and for the first time offroad took my truck to 4000rpm for the grip... i was amazed looked at my mate he couldnt believe and nearly decided to get out because we had to turn around and go back down it hahaha. Going down happened so fast i literally cannot remember it darn it all. So she goes good and the gears damn. I believe the dirty30 only has 4.5s so shauno one day mate..😉

All4Runner

Unread post by All4Runner » September 17th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Update.... been everywhere except the tip snapped one rear shock at lcmp replaced both following day. Turboed it running 11psi denco kit done 8000ks so far zero issues no intercooler. Lockers front and rear and 4.88 gears still alive and thriving, although i will be replacing rear with new diff center and 100% spartan locker. Still havent been stuck and the brand new ironman winch still has not been used but i do run it to keep everything moving. Next to do....i was removing A/C then came up with idea to plumb into airbox and hit A/C switch for more power and uphill slogs to keep cooler...i haven't had heating issues so far, but i think it will be a good idea and found the new dodge demon supercharged v8 runs air through A/C box to cool the air to nearly ice cold, that way i leave ac in and move everything and make custom filter box.. and then within the next few years is when things get hectic.... shortened 80series chassis widened body and 4.5 turbo v8 vdj engine matched to 80series diffs super low gears and dual transfer cases front and rear lockers goes without saying. Im in the process of extending racks and lighting and recovery box rubbish box and 45l rack mounted stainless water tank. Building a rear awning...watch this space no secrets coming out here but will be epic and y'all will want 1 too haha.

Return to “Tourers”