Cuzza's Budget Hilux buildup_1988 Hilux LN106 Dual cab 4x4

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Re: Cuzza's Budget Hilux buildup_1988 Hilux LN106 Dual cab 4x4

Unread post by cuzza_wa » February 5th, 2018, 11:27 am

Been doing a tonne of reading on VBS14 before doing anything to the tray and car now, few guys have been getting pinged lately in town and seems cops have caught up with people running huge lifts and tyres, so its got me thinking about the set-up / wheel size / lift height etc given i'm already 2 inches over stock tyre size running 31's. :rolleyes:

Anyone from WA who owns a hilux would be very keen to hear what you can get away with neatly?

Can read the article here https://mr4x4.com.au/w-police-crackdown ... fied-4x4s/ and see the photo the fun police from town put on Facebook. Obviously the car in the photo looks pretty naughty, owner could of put flares on.

On reading discovered my no mudlfaps was illegal so made myself some out of rubber mat on the weekend.
Will see how long they last!!

hub repair kit popped up locally for $50, couldn't go past it and wanted to learn about the front end in the event i ever need to pull a CV or axle out on a track one day. Soon as i pulled the hub cap off it started leaking diff oil, so super glad i dug into it. Proper clean up is in order before re-assembly. Also going to trim up backing plates, seems like a common mod, and should speed removal time down next time as i didnt want to flush brakes again!

Cuzza

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » February 5th, 2018, 11:27 am

pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » February 5th, 2018, 11:29 am

hub pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » February 19th, 2018, 10:02 am

Thanks Peter and a few others for the tips in sorting out the axle paranoia. :thumb: :drink:
hubs finished off on the weekend, filled diff with oil and went for a short drive with a mate down some simple tracks, no noise!
Hoping next time it should be a bit cleaner anyway, my mate reckons i put far too much work in, but i at least have peace of mind now my front end is ok.

Steering wandering a bit this morning, time to re-look at getting new drag link ends. and brakes are still a bit off, but i think i found that issue when putting my calipers back on (seized pistons)

Getting there slowly! woke up this morning and was nice not seeing oil running out of my swivel housing :lol:

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 19th, 2018, 11:31 am

That certainly looks a lot cleaner & nicer than the earlier pic!! :thumb:

But I do hafta ask.... why was your swivel housing the first thing you saw on waking up this morning?? :confused: Have you taken to sleeping with your 'lux??! :boggle:

I guess I can understand throwing the swag down alongside your truck while you're out in the bush, I've done the same! I can even understand sleeping under the car if it's bucketing down rain & there's no other choice if you wanta stay dry..... but sleeping right alongside your swivel housing just cos it's clean & leak free so that it's your first sight on waking..... that's probably taking 'devotion to your ride' just a little far! :p
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » February 20th, 2018, 9:59 am

Yep all sanded back and re-painted with heat treated paint in matt black, came up quite nice (cant imagine it will stay clean for long!)
wait, you guys dont sleep with your luxies? :sillywink:

my SO reckons any more time in the shed and it may be the case anyway :D

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » February 28th, 2018, 5:21 pm

My helping people and karma must be coming around slowly :)

Helped a friend of mine swap out his Alpine CD player in his ln167 Monday night, which was much easier to get into than the ln106.
His CD player died but the rest of it works fine, given i only use mp3 / iphone etc he gave it to us so i can go back to a full Alpine system. :drink: :thumb:

While i'm there i notice a pair of rear leaf springs sitting in car port - reasonably new OME ones for his 167.
Turns out he got given them by doing a favor, so is going to give me his "well worn" old rear springs once the OME's go in his rig.

IFS rears may be on the cards quicker than i thought, apart from the 200mm shackles and longer shocks, is there anything else needed to make it work?

Heard people need shaft spacers, some say you dont, i would also be running either gu / cruiser shocks on standard mounts and not doing the inversion just yet, but does it move the shock angle too much?

Peter you may be correct, i think i have a hilux problem now.
Isn't there an annual meet for "sick" people like me? :waycool:

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » February 28th, 2018, 5:27 pm

gardening shots putting the ute to use, just the fence left now before winter :D

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » February 28th, 2018, 8:35 pm

G'day Cuzza
No you don't have a problem.
The last pics show it well. A ute is a ute and a little scratched paint is little to pay to have it hall some stuff around like it's "sposta"
Love watching your posts

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » March 8th, 2018, 10:18 am

Cheers mate! its been heaps of fun learning.

The welder has been delivered :drink: a few beers may also of been had
think its a cigweld 180 (gasless mig) my mate said it has a sharp learning curve but if you can weld with one of these moving onto gas is easier.
Need to get a helmet, gloves and a few quick clamps and time to start stitching scrap until i can run a bead.

Have slowly started to sketch some ideas for the final tray, old rusty will be getting the chop for side rails, headboard and bar with the rest to be made up.

may post some pics of my welding practice if anyone is up for a chuckle, i have a feeling the first few may be average :lol:

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » April 3rd, 2018, 11:10 am

no further progress on tray as of yet apart from some more sketches and working out where i will be fitting things.
Thinking i need a larger fuel tank and i would also like to move it, and also want to put some kind of water storage in too.
Under tray drawer up the rear and battery compartment / inverter compartment under the tray deck near the cab.

Have removed the bottom of the front bumper to fit some recovery hooks in the meantime, and started to rub back and re-paint the chassis rails / chassis parts. Got most of the front end done so far.

The tinny ticking noise had got to me so jumped into valve cover on the weekend with some help from youtube and some guru's to work out how to check and adjust valve shims. Clearances right on tolerance, from reading they get smaller as the valves wear / bed in. One exhaust valve was at 0.3mm (spec says between 0.4 and 0.5) so i am hoping thats my ticking. If that doesnt do it then sump is coming off.
Interesting learning the engine, once you crack them open there is not much in there!

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » April 6th, 2018, 10:27 am

few pics :drink:

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » April 16th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Having a few issues loading pics, got a few to put up once its all sorted.

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » April 17th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Realised today both myself and my car turn 30 this year, so for my birthday, i will be giving the lux a birthday. :drink:

Now i was completely torn - to upgrade or to maintain.
Given timing belt is due at 330 (i think i'm a few 1000km's from it) and clutch bearing is starting to get noisy, had decided to put money into the car itself, and learn how to remove the gearbox etc. and try get its life extended.

ordered some parts that should see the truck continue well into the future and fix the last of the little issues i was having with steering and brakes, finally.

If i can squeeze a little extra out of it might see if i can get autolocker or some wreckers parts.

First trip lined up with Albany 4x4 club this weekend, will try grab some footage.

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » April 30th, 2018, 6:06 pm

Should have called the thread "cuzza learning to repair his hilux"

timing belt kit, seals, water pump, front brakes and draglink ends are all done, thing is lovely to drive now (it goes straight!!) just the clutch to put in.

Diff / box breathers arrived, will update with pics when i can post them again :) I think the breathers might be my first official "offroad" mod that isn't just a repair.......

Day trip with Albany 4x4 Club was a great success (although it bucketed down), the group is very family friendly and there was a variety of vehicles, genders and ages along for the trip. Wasn't a tough drive by any means but just a good chance to
get to know the car a bit more offroad.

I got a backlog of pics, has IT got the issue sorted yet?

Return to “Tourers”