Cuzza's Budget Hilux buildup_1988 Hilux LN106 Dual cab 4x4

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Cuzza's Budget Hilux buildup_1988 Hilux LN106 Dual cab 4x4

Unread post by cuzza_wa » December 11th, 2017, 2:22 pm

Hey everyone,

Figured i would start documenting the build up of my recently acquired hilux, more so for a good record of what i'm doing, apologies for the reading, there are pics :) Also a good time to say thanks for the forum, a lot of trouble shooting i have done has been done here, and has been most helpful.

I've had pipe dreams of a touring hilux since i was younger, but situations never really lined up. Recently moved back to the country (home town) and needed a 4x4 again for coastal access, and since we now had a young fella in tow, thought it was a good time to start the build for future family trips.
Given we are on a single wage, and have a kid whos eating more and more, this is a budget / money wise build, and the reason for picking the hilux was also due to ease of working on.

Bit of background 1988 Hilux LN106 Dual cab 4x4.

Wanted a solid axle front and the 2.8l has always been pretty reliable, so the decision was pretty easy. Was keeping an eye out for a while but didnt want to overspend or buy something that had been roughed up already.

Picked up the car for a fair price (just over $2K) with 331,000km's on the clock as it wouldn't start.
Went to look at the car with step dad Pete (ex panel beater) to check some things and get an idea of what the car was like.
Car was pretty straight for an old lux, and minimal rust (usual places like bottom of sills but not very extensive) and the best part was it was for the most part, unmodified. Had spotties, roof racks, CB radio and CD player and best of all brand new 31'' AT's.

Owner was certain it was the alternator, so i gave him half the asking price cash on the agreement if it was a cheap fix i would honor the price if he renewed rego. So with that i took the car home to try fix it.
Charged battery, still didnt start, got it started with a roll and it fired up ok.
Managed to then drive it and everything seemed to check out - so we just had to fix the starting issue.

Pulled out the alternator, grabbed another from the wreckers and got them both bench tested, turns out the one i got from the wreckers was fucked and the one that was in the car was fine...........it gets kind of interesting.
On putting the alternator back in, i start checking wiring as a first base, i actually assumed the earth may have been bad. Looking over passenger side of bay i start checking relays, and notice a copper coloured wire coming from glow plug relay. Turns out the wire had no insulation and was touching the body - basically shorting the glow relay out i think. $20 at the wreckers, i new relay, some plugs and some spliced in wiring and...........she starts first go! :thumb: so the agreement was honored and i had my hilux.

Here is is basically as i got it, before i starting changing it.

First point was some maintenance (and so i dont whinge constantly, can i just say old nuts and bolts are a PITA)
as i started to look it was clear it had not been treated well (lesson i took aboard for next time)
Radiator overflow bottle was missing, and system in need of a good flush. Oil was ok, filter was reasonably new but dropped oil and did filter to be sure, also found tag on timing cover that had the km's when belt was done, still within range but needing to be done in the next 20 thousand km's.
Transfer case basically had mud in it, and gearbox was overfull, sorted that. It also had developed a whining noise. Steering was also pretty loose / wandering.

Replaced coolant overflow bottle, got a new rad cap and flushed the mud out of radiator, once i got pressure i found a few leaky hoses so replaced those, and car appears to be behaving on frequent drives ie stays in healthy zone when wheeling. Thermostat is on the edge so ordered on for later.

Whining noise i thought center bearing, dry unis or wheel bearing, jacked the car up to check bearings and they were fine.
Greased everything i was supposed to underneath, still there. Order a center bearing and while im waiting for it, a guy tells me his did that when his speedo cable was dry. Pulled it out, hit it with dry-lube and noise gone!!! now have a spare center bearing :rolleyes:

Front springs were "W"'s basically starting to bend the other way. Had a mate who had some stock spares he was giving away so managed to get the springs replaced.
Have a feeling i have put them in the wrong way as drivers side sagging a little already, but time will tell. :)

Before i took bar and springs out, you can see just how flat they are -

and after (i reckon i nearly got 2'' back!!)

Pulled the steps off while doing the springs so i can weld / attach to bullbar when i eventually get one, when i was pulling off side steps i found my spare key!

Center console was ok, but owner had wedged the CB in the accessory tray, i wanted my tray back so got to hacking it up a bit, CB now where ashtray was, ashtray under CB. While i was in there i put some speakers (i had some alpine s types laying around from old car) in the doors and cut a nice hold for my radio speaker so its fixed and doesn't jump out on tracks.

Next on the list was a tray, i had some ideas and after browsing google saw something i really liked, but wanted a stock tray as a base for the build up.
I figured selling a tub might be hard in town, so put an ad up to see if anyone wanted to swap, message back in a few hours with one that was more or less a perfect starting point, even if it was a bit rough. Pic of tray on other car. Best part was, the guy i got it off scraps metal, and said is constantly scrapping hilux's. I may have a good parts link up!

And that's where i've got to! Hoping i can at least get the tray wired up and ready for Chrissy break so i can enjoy some surfing and fishing.

Once the tray is on and wired up, will be starting to look for a used winch bar, so i can get the scrubs back on for body protection, and then likely start modifying the tray and stockpiling parts for a simple type RUF conversion in the future.

Will keep updating.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Re: Cuzza's Budget Hilux buildup_1988 Hilux LN106 Dual cab 4x4

Unread post by cuzza_wa » December 11th, 2017, 2:23 pm

sorry about the order of the pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » December 12th, 2017, 2:18 pm

bribed some lads with beer, got to say lifting a steel tray with 4 people would have been easier than 3 :D

Lifted tub off, got steel tray line up. Need to add some brackets from the chassis mounts to the tray supports and wire up the lights, as well as a spacer or support block up the back to account for the hump in rear chassis rails.
Existing lights have some color wires as my tub wiring, so should be pretty easy to connect with some narva 6 way connectors.

Snorkel and winch bar are next on the cards, but with Santa just around the corner might be after holidays before i get much further.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 12th, 2017, 3:17 pm

It's sure looking like a good start tho cuzza! :thumb:

Keep on with it, and please, keep on posting your progress too! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » December 13th, 2017, 11:25 am

Its getting there!

There is a very VERY suspicious looking package under the tree from Santa, looks very much like a snorkel :D

cbd
Here and there

Unread post by cbd » December 13th, 2017, 10:08 pm

G'day
Watching you build with interest. Couldn't kill a 2.8 1995 build in. 165000. It's still going, belongs to a friend now.
Regards dave

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » December 15th, 2017, 11:57 am

Cheers fellas. They are bullet proof!

Should have the tray wired and mounted by end of weekend with any luck. Will take a few more pics!
Managed to find a rolled surf at local wreckers, think i might have air box and aux battery tray sorted, maybe even the seats!

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » December 18th, 2017, 12:49 pm

Surf seats are in, and much comfier than the original seats :drink: It really was childs play swapping them over.

Got the body mounts for the tray sorted using some heavy galv. L brackets and fixed them to the chassis, just need to finish drilling the holes through tray rails and I can screw it down; started raining on the weekend and I missed my window.

Got the wiring all finished and neatly tucked away with some cable ties, and the lights work :star: but having issues with the LED tray lights and resistance, so will be chasing down a new flasher relay with a reduced min. voltage to allow the LEDs to run without needing to install coil resistors on the lighting wiring itself (seems strange that people use them when it's far easier to just replace the relay?)

Got the air filter box too, so will be putting that in pre-snorkel to make room for the spare battery & compressor I will be mounting in the near(ish) future - air sensor hole plugged up with RTV and the original sensor left in, that should do the trick.

That's pretty much it until the fat man in the red suit comes, I think - house jobs and a fence to stick in before Chrissy.

Stay safe everyone, enjoy the break, and happy travelling. ;)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 18th, 2017, 1:13 pm

I dunno cuzza, what with the comfy seats in, the tray just about sorted, the wiring all working & neat; & the air box, dual batt, snorkel, & compressor etc all scheduled, you won't have enough to do in the New Year!! You might hafta start thinking of other things to put onto the 4by or you could be doing those house jobs & the fence sooner'n you'd like to think!! :boggle:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » December 21st, 2017, 8:47 am

Yeah it's looking that way!
Trays on, beach trip yesterday and it didn't come off so I gather I did a good enough job :)

Filter box was a bit of a puzzle, I'm going to wait until snorkel goes in to work out what piping I need I think so I don't f it up. Cleaned up my rusty lid and gave it a new coat of paint.

On phone will post some pics when I get a chance.

Motor started to sound a bit tinny after about 45minutes of driving. I'm hoping it's the leaky rocker cover or a crack in exhaust headers or manifold, not something more sinister!

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » January 8th, 2018, 12:10 pm

back at work, so can upload pics! (seems like a good way to start a dreaded monday after holidays)

Tray mounts / painted tray mounts (rust proofing!) and some of the work I had to do on the tray rails as whoever got the tray off cut them :irked:
Relay for blinkers I grabbed for $15 from Jaycar, but it had the plugs around the wrong way, just a simple wire swap in the holder to fix the orientation to suit the plug.

Pre-snorkel photos (was a snorkel under the tree) and some photos of the install - snorkel is a Tuff Terrain one from ebay. Looks pretty sturdy and so far so good, but glad I read some posts about checking the template.
Template was close for the big hole but the smaller holes I triple checked before drilling.
As per some advice on a youtube video (which was so helpful to follow) I also ran some hosing on the inside hole to prevent rubbing on the intake piping.
I've got some vibrations at around 2k to 2.5k rpm and I think its cos there is no rubber behind the snorkel, so going to take it off and try some double sided tape or a rubber sheet between snorkel and front panel, noise isnt extreme so not too bothered at this stage.
The attachment to door pillar had rubber between the snorkel and the body, so I assume the front panel should have something similar.

I must have stood there for a good few minutes, drill in hand, looking at my panel, gathering the nerve to start cutting, but it all worked out ok! haha.

Got bored after all this, was staring at my sub box and wondering how to get it in the car and had an idea to help mount my other 6x9's in the back without spending any money - cut the sub box up!

Few pics of me measuring it up, cutting it, mock up of the layout so I could check it fits and the near finished box.
Yet to stick it in the car as I need an amp wiring kit now so I can stick my amp in under a seat - speaker box has chopped all my room out behind the rear seat where I had planned on putting amp and inverter.
Should be just enough room for an inverter in the back or under the other seat and I think that will be the cab finished............for now :lol:

Any people got advice for where to mount these things, is under my seat a bad idea? I know its literally the lowest spot in the cab, and likely the first thing to get wet if I was take a dip. How protected are they :D

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » January 8th, 2018, 12:13 pm

pics of snorkel

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » January 8th, 2018, 12:13 pm

more snorkel pics

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » January 8th, 2018, 12:17 pm

pics of speaker box hack.

Think my next big mod is going to be sorting that air filter box, and fitting a second battery, I did not like how the Surf filter box sat in the engine bay.
Also going to start looking for a power steering system :D I'm completely over not having power steering.

cuzza_wa
Been here a while

Unread post by cuzza_wa » January 16th, 2018, 9:57 am

speakers installed! ended up putting the amp under the drivers seat as it is the least likely seat to be moved lots.

Got bored and gravity flushed breaks and replaced thermostat for peace of mind, glad i did the old one as jammed open..........took it for a 100+km round trip doing mostly 100km/hr in quite warm weather with the AC roaring and it kept its cool, so am quite happy the cooling system is now ok. I really need to start getting the power steering together soon!

Also borrowing a mig welder to start modifying the tray, im going to need a pile of scrap and some practice, more updates on this as it unfolds i think.

Cheers

Tom

Return to “Tourers”