passenger seat conversion to storage system - any ideas?

tourinalux
I'm new, be nice!

passenger seat conversion to storage system - any ideas?

Unread post by tourinalux » March 2nd, 2016, 11:32 pm

Hey all
second post, first was an intro. Recently bought a tidy 03 sr5 lux with basic mods with the aim of turning her into a tourer for the missus and myself.

I intend on pulling out the rear seat and bolting a storage system + fridge in its place. Id like to use the original seat bolts and leave the belts in place so its "temporary" . Iv searched and come up with a picture where the person used a metal frame for the bottom, it required a bit of welding which is an issue for me as i dont know how. Wood i can work with and was thinking a flat mdfsheet four holes and then build modular storage system onto that, as a big ply box wouldnt get in the door.

Any help and ideas would be of great help.

cheers
DeLux

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Re: passenger seat conversion

Unread post by THE RIG » March 3rd, 2016, 6:02 am

where are you located? this would give some an idea, where they could possibly offer their welding services and help you build a frame. I am Brisbane based and would take a look if you were local to me.

if using timber, I wouldn't use mdf, as it fluffs up when it gets wet, a marine grade ply wood would be a much better option.
take a look in the DIY section as there might be some helpful hints and tips in there, plus some framework I have recently done for a forum member.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: passenger seat conversion

Unread post by BigDutchy » March 3rd, 2016, 6:30 am

I did exact the same in my Rodeo. I am not much of a welderer and made a great little system from MDF that worked for us.
I did use the existing holes as well and left the seat belts in. I just sold the car and had it converted back in no time

tourinalux
I'm new, be nice!

Re: passenger seat conversion to storage system - any ideas?

Unread post by tourinalux » March 3rd, 2016, 5:21 pm

Townsville, thanks for the offer much appreciated. Cheers il go for marine grade then.
Yea its probably just cupboards that have got me stumped i was thinking 200mm high containers roughly 800mm long, double stacked. Then a basket on top for storage which could double as a sink. Im just wondering is it best to build the base seperately and then bolt? the cupboard section on. Im having issues visualising the join. Did you put anything down on paper by any chance? Or are those plans considered trade secrets?
Thanks alot for the help guys.
DeLux

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » March 3rd, 2016, 8:12 pm

No secrets, no plans, no idea's, I just started and it evolved from there. It was not pretty but it worked.
After taking out the seat I made a new flat floor. This was my base where I started building from.
I used containers and built around containers.

edz
Need to get out more

Unread post by edz » March 3rd, 2016, 9:59 pm

My boss has a 2000 ? Triton dualcab that he did the same thing with, He bolted a small timber frame together and fixed that to existing bolt holes to mount the Engel fridge and just went to a $2 shop and got a couple of stackable plastic drawer sets to fit between the timber floor decking and roof, used an occy strap to keep them closed ... Held together no troubles on his 3 month Gold Coast, Cairns, Gulf to Kimberley Broome, Red Center to Home loop trip.provided enough storage to keep his missus happy .
" WE GO WITH WHAT WE'VE GOT "
" WHAT WE HAV'NT WE GO WITH OUT "

tourinalux
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by tourinalux » March 3rd, 2016, 10:22 pm

Cheers guys
winging it shall be the way and ocky straps will make the securing simple
DeLux

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » March 4th, 2016, 12:42 pm

I used ockie straps on new flat floor install, they don't hold things down under heavy braking or big roundabouts, they just stretch and things move, off road they are worse.
Simple ratchet straps are better than ockie straps any day, things stay put.
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Return to “Tourers”