Clifford the adventure 80 Series

Down hill dan
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Clifford the adventure 80 Series

Unread post by Down hill dan » December 9th, 2015, 7:33 am

Hi mate nice 80. Be care full fitting those flares your self mate.i got the same ones for my 80.i then did the same as you an decided to get them fitted by a pro I talked to 3 panel beaters an all recommend not fitting them.to my truck to do the job properly there is a lot involved the hardest is every hole drilled needs to be primed then painted from the inside.an if they are fitted when you hit them hard thay pull out from the Gard leaving an even bigger hole that is harder to repair.its up to you if you fit them but I threw mine away waist off money I think

Adventure 80
Here and there

Unread post by Adventure 80 » December 9th, 2015, 10:38 pm

Thanks more the advice Down Hill dan, for the price I thought id grab them and compared to fibreglass ones which I have seen break on almost every trip ive been on they seemed worth a shot.
Seeing their supplied parts of just screws was a bit concerning and I will be asking whoever installs them to nutsert and such instead of using the screws
Ill try it once and see how we go
Any other brand recommendations, or ive heard of a few guys on 1h8mud that make and sell some??

Down hill dan
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Down hill dan » December 10th, 2015, 8:51 am

Hi mate nice to see your thinking you don't want to wreck a nice truck.i have 1hdt gxl with original fiber glass flares an yes thay do break but I'd rather smash a flare than my Gard.have thought about trying to get original flares from the wrecker.

Adventure 80
Here and there

Unread post by Adventure 80 » December 19th, 2015, 5:36 pm

Not much has happened recently in the life of Clifford, hes not being driven much as he really needs a service so he'll get the outback 4wd treatment from the guys in Bayswater soon.
Struggling to get days off at the same time as my dad right now as we both work a lot so we aren't getting much 4wding in but it will happen soon
Undecided on the flares as of yet but right now the idea is that if I do rip the guard because of the flare itll give me an excuse to change the colour :lol:
Saving up for some necessary bits of kit such as snorkel, sliders, diff breathers and rims etc the list goes on
although I keep on spending my money on pressies for myself...
IMG_1168.JPG
Bit of a sticky beak at whats to come in the near future
IMG_1167.JPG
Youtube channel is slow at the moment as well but that should pickup with more install,how to, trip and boat rebuild videos in the near future
Stay tuned fellas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adventure 80
Here and there

Unread post by Adventure 80 » January 6th, 2016, 6:03 pm

Not much has happened in the world of Clifford recently. He's not been driven apart from in and out of the driveway to work on him basically but that does mean some progress has been achieved.
Many nights were spent like this...
IMG_1261.JPG
To get rid of this...
IMG_1176.JPG
and this mess...
IMG_1177.JPG
To end up with this :woohoo:
IMG_1269.JPG
In short, a sony xav-65 went into the dash as well as 1 6x9" 450W in each door to replace the old factory sh*t
I didn't want to regroove doors or anything to fit in the new speakers and I had to avoid letting them touch the window mechanism so speaker spacers were in order...
IMG_1228.JPG
They stick out a fair way but don't get in the way luckily and the back seat ones are almost perfect...
*CONTINUED IN NEXT POST*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adventure 80
Here and there

Unread post by Adventure 80 » January 6th, 2016, 6:13 pm

Can only attach five images at a time so the update will continue on.
IMG_1197.JPG
Anyway so the back speakers are fine, I rarely would have anyone in the back anyway really.
Apart from that the only other thing added was a reversing camera as this is a feature of the headunit
I ummed and ahhed about where to put this but finally decided on a spot that would best fit my needs...
IMG_1270.JPG
While not the best spot it allows me to back up to the boat easy :lol: its easy to pick up cameras off ebay for about $5 each and an av splitter from jaycar for $20 to add a couple more views as well

Whats coming up soon:
New rims for the tyres
Flares install
Diff Breathers
Raslarr Snorkel
+much much more (my list is like an essay...but whatever gets me out there is enough basically! That includes my licence which I still have to wait about 40+ days for :irked: )

Adventure 80
Here and there

Unread post by Adventure 80 » March 31st, 2016, 9:58 pm

Update time for Clifford
Ive been doing a lot of working, fishing and all that good stuff recently since getting my licence and old mates been getting a good workout
Before I get into it ill give a brief list into whats happened:
-Kut Snake flares put on
-Wanderer Awning on
-Hi lIft and shovel holder on
-Many dents
-Lost two separate sets of number plates on two separate trips offroad
-Central locking on all four doors in (I do not recommend this, bitch of a job)
-Lightbars put on the bullbar
-Power Windows front two doors
- Clarion sub and pioneer amp installed
-285/75/16 Kumho MTs on -22 16x8 black dynamic rims put on (looks sick)

Obviously work has been put in and typically these builds show the steps for all this but as most of it is very standard stuff ill just show some pics of here and there. He sat like this before the tyres...
IMG_1436.JPG
Now he's a beast
IMG_1437.JPG
Not a massive presence on the road with the 33s so 35s are next set under.
IMG_1442.JPG
IMG_1441.JPG
Flex's alright for a 2 inch medium duty lift with sway bars in but with 31s he tucks a lot better...
IMG_1407.JPG

Adventure 80
Here and there

Unread post by Adventure 80 » March 31st, 2016, 10:13 pm

Next Update already kinda (only 5 photos per post)
Since update on new stuff on the car has been done its time to share how its actually going.
Clifford was recently dropped of at CanDo 4x4 down in Lilydale for a service and general checkup. They did a great job to fit me in to their busy schedule and suss everything out on the car. They informed me of multiple things and explained it all very well while also chatting with some of the boys about extra stuff out the front to enhance the car that little bit more :twisted:
IMG_1435.JPG
They gave me this list to outline what needs to be done in the near future
All in all majority of the work is typical of a car around the 300,000 mark and will be done in the near future

Next thing to address is the Dominator Winch that I put on the car a while ago.
After a recent downpour of rain me and a mate decided to take our fairly stock cars to some tracks around yarra junction not to many people use. Now in the dry this was fine but in the wet... we spent atleast 5 hours on the track in total including a lot of winching and recovering etc and even called in a mate to help us out.
This is a review of the Dominator though. First of all this thing is bloody loud!!
Im not sure if its mine only but its much louder than some others and also slow when under no load although the speed barely changes when under load so I see no issue for me. Secondly when I got the winch I made sure to check the gears and seals etc for any damage. The main seal was cracked and brittle and fell into a few pieces. this was without any use what so ever of the winch...literally just out of the box so I wasn't impressed.
While using it I had no issues to be honest. it performed quite well, not under massive loads but all single line pulls on 80 and 100 series landcruisers. I was also using the wireless remote and had no issues with that or my in cab winch controls
Im tipping the winch wont really last that long, it doesn't sound healthy and I feel as if im going to have to pull it apart after every use but haven't done so yet. If any one wants to know anything else in particular let me know!!

Adventure 80
Here and there

Unread post by Adventure 80 » March 31st, 2016, 10:20 pm

A coming soon update as well!
Clifford is booked in for an 'appointment' at Raslarr on the 12th of march to assist with breathing difficulties in a stainless fashion ;)
I also recently picked up a Waeco CDF-11 to build into a centre console which I will do a more detailed build on
Little things are always happening:
-Bonnet lights
-Dash cluster of plugs etc
-GPS speed HUD
35s will also come in the near future hopefully!!!
For now I will admire how neat(muddy) Clifford is :D
IMG_1443.JPG

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » April 6th, 2016, 7:53 pm

Almost there...haha...said no one that has built up a 4wd...;) Coming along great...About the winch...I have a runvaxp11...one of the loudest things I have ever attached to my rig...Its reliable and never let me down...Just give them some love now and then and they will keep you moving...God knows I havnt yet come across a Warn winch that works...lol...looking forward to your next update
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

Adventure 80
Here and there

Unread post by Adventure 80 » April 6th, 2016, 11:43 pm

Funny you should mention another update monkeybucket :twisted:

This was meant to happen in about two weeks, but they arrived early it seems
IMG_1475 - Copy.JPG
My tail lights that are standard have a tendency to crack and break lenses and globes often especially when we hit the tracks :D So I figured I might as well upgrade to the black ones(from America) which also have LED brake lights.
IMG_1476.JPG
IMG_1477.JPG
There is no modification to the standard loom, indicator and reverse globes simply twist and lock into place as normal...but
IMG_1478.JPG
IMG_1479.JPG
as you can see the brake light LED has a plug that resembles the connecting end of a standard globe allowing it to fit in perfectly :woohoo:
Now my car has even more ricer status...I may have also blacked out some chrome on the back doors which ill put a photo up of soon

Adventure 80
Here and there

Unread post by Adventure 80 » April 29th, 2016, 9:29 pm

Finally getting around to updating again.
The raslarr snorkel was put on and noticed the difference straight away when driving to work, yet to seal the airbox tho
IMG_1487.JPG
Car was then dropped off at Can Do 4x4 again to fix some wear and tear. Bit of $$$ later and all new suspension bushes, front brake lines were in and the inner axle seal and rear bearing was fixed up all while I was away on holiday at Tamboon Inlet
IMG_1495.JPG
Two cars, two boats, four blokes and a larger need for beer once we had broken almost a slab of bottles before even getting near camp. Fishing was not as hot as we thought but the camping and wildlife is a ripper time.
Four cans of plasti-dip and two bonnet scoops later...
IMG_1506.JPG
the inner bogan of Clifford has been released
Recently also spent a day making our way from Warburton to Noojee offroad, mostly through a goat track. my poor shovel was ripped from the basket as well as the bracket by a tree, my awning also has a slight bow after grabbing a few trees as well. few other minor casualties but nothing that hasn't added character
IMG_1515.JPG
he looks tough as guts now anyway, just needs some dirty fives and he'll be a real bush pig

Damo1985
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Damo1985 » June 5th, 2016, 12:02 am

cool write up youve got going on here mate. looking forward to what youve got coming next. well done.

Adventure 80
Here and there

Unread post by Adventure 80 » August 27th, 2016, 6:14 pm

Long time since the last update!

Been doing a lot of snow trips lately and the old bus just eats it up
IMG_1807.JPG
Not to much has changed over the last few months, just some simple stuff
IMG_1924.JPG
-light bars to back of car, spotties on the front
-new indicator lamps all round
- coupla stickers on
-moved the number plate above winch

Also finally added the shovel holder back on after it got ripped off one trip. had to invest in some proper u bolts to keep it on :woohoo:
IMG_1927.JPG
A few small things were also added like a dash mat and some voltmeters, stuff like that
IMG_1923.JPG
Waeco fridge is going strong, by far one of the best mods

Ive also ordered some draws to come in for my new fridge to go on and to hide away some of my gear instead of this mess...
IMG_1922.JPG
New fridge is a engel legacy, bargain deals at bcf at the moment at $1099, pretty much the cheapest youll ever get the 40 litre and bag

A few reviews:
Supacentre illuminator spotties do well for the price, not a massive distance but over 500 metres there is good spread and distance. Bit of effort to make them fit in my older style bar, had to drill a few extra holes
Kut snake flares are killing it! Bashed them against trees at the snow and no damage to car or flare
Dominator winch also still going. lots of winching the last few trips for long periods, killed it pulling me and mates as well, haven't pulled it apart yet though so it may be pretty well floral inside hahah theyre not a great sounding winch

Hopefully getting some 35's on the rig soon as well! ideally I'm chasing the new maxxis trepador 35's but they use quite a lot of dollars to get so we'll have to see!

Return to “Tourers”