2013 Mitsubishi Challenger - Paddy

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Re: 2013 Mitsubishi Challenger - Paddy

Unread post by No Fn Idea » July 29th, 2015, 5:13 pm

SparkieKev wrote:tough challenger Nick. Thanks for sharing camping pickies. Makes me want to be out there!
Thanks mate - once I level up the front a bit which will give me more clearance under the front bash plate it'll look a little manlier.........well for a girls car anwyay.

Camping is for winners!!!
2013 Auto LS Challenger with stuff
2011 GIC Offroad CT also with some stuff

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » August 17th, 2015, 4:11 pm

I was looking at getting some strut spacers to lift up the front of Paddy. I was at the local Dobinsons up here and when we looked underneath to get some measurements the guy noticed that the bushes in the lovells are flogged out. Lo and behold, when I had a closer look they were indeed shagged..........................that may explain the really harsh ride.

Anyhoo, that rules out strut spacers so I am in the process of getting a quote on some more ironman front struts as they come with trim packers so I can set the ride height. Then I will have to go to a mates place with a press and put them in.................. hopefully sooner rather than later...

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » September 4th, 2015, 7:31 pm

So, the Ironman struts I just bought did not come with top bushes....................

Rang Ironman to ask them if it was a packing error. But the guy checked another pair and they had none either. He said he would speak to his tech team and get back to me. That was about midday and there has been no return call.

So we rang around 20 places on the sunshine coast and no one, not even Mitsubishi, had bushings to suit the challenger. ARB and TJM were only interested in selling stuff off their own catalogue and swore black and blue that their bushes would not fit any other strut. Pedders had them but they came with a strut and were $300 or so each.

In summary, Paddy is in pieces in my mates shed. Superpro urethane bushes have been ordered and will be picked up at Beerwah Bursons on Monday and will be installed the same day.

Lucky I already had Monday off!

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » September 12th, 2015, 7:38 pm

Below are some pics of the end result of the new Ironman struts install................I am very happy with the result as I now have a truck that sits level and rides and drives a whole lot better.

We also made up some new brackets for the light bar so it is now tucked under the roof rack and it no longer lights up the bonnet.

1st pic is a close up of the CV angle which is pretty good.

The next two are self explantory

Now the front suspension measured from bottom of 17" rim to the top of the flare (just like I did before)

Drivers front 806mm which is a gain of 46mm
Passenger front 811 mm which is a gain of 41mm

Also as a random measurement the bottom of the winch opening on the bullbar is now 85mm higher than it used to be.

You can't really see it but Ironman sell a spacer which sits under the spring cup/seat (you can just see the nickely plated thing under the spring cup/seat) - I have installed a 10mm one and looking back I don't think it was needed but it is in now.

According to my mates measurements and calcs he thinks that with the strut and the point it is on the bottom of the wishbone for each 1mm of extra height at that point you get 2.11mm of extra height at the hub. All the stuff I had read said it was 1.6:1 so that is why I put the spacer in................. and why it probably wasn't necessary.

No Fn Idea
Need to get out more

Unread post by No Fn Idea » March 20th, 2016, 9:57 pm

****** Auto went into limp mode again on the weekend. This is the 3rd time it has done it to me. This time all I did was town the CT up the Maleny Road at a well below speed limit rate............. I think I will have to have some strong words with Mr Mitsubishi and force him to do a transmission service on my rig.

Once it is out of warranty I will take it to a trans place to maybe replace the cooler with a bigger one and also possibly relocate it

Return to “Tourers”