Re: Oli's Dual cab Amarok Tourer, photos galore

Unread post by norweldisaac » April 25th, 2014, 4:14 pm

looks awesome so far mate

ydayahaf2bsonosey
Been here a while

Unread post by ydayahaf2bsonosey » April 27th, 2014, 12:23 pm

G'day,
Had a couple of people ask about the snorkel head I'm running. Sorry for the horrible quality photo but here it is
Can still run a sock filter on it when needed. What you won't see is where it runs through the body and before it goes into the airbox I've got old mate to run a v inside the pipe which runs into an outlet with a quarter turn valve on. Anyone who has had lots of experience with snorkels will know no matter how your snorkel head is arranged when it rains ,you will get water in the snorkel. The v I'm running catches said water and i can just open the quarter turn when desired to release it. I do this as all other vents will be siliconed up so no possible water can enter through those standard dust releases.
Cheers Oli

ydayahaf2bsonosey
Been here a while

Unread post by ydayahaf2bsonosey » April 29th, 2014, 7:44 am

G'day all,
Well I got my amarok back last night from the welder. It is all done now from him, only the canopy to be done now. It was too dark to get by photos (how awesome does the induction noise sound from the snorkel) but I got a high beam shot for you. As we all know they never really come out as good in photos as they are however the light is incredible. Power poles are 175m apart to give you an idea.

Also shouldnt have any drama reversing anymore these are just the led reverse lights, haven't wired up the reverse spotties yet.

Cheers Oli

ydayahaf2bsonosey
Been here a while

Unread post by ydayahaf2bsonosey » April 30th, 2014, 5:13 pm

Righteo, took a while but here it is in all it's glory. There is still a bit of wiring to do but I will shut up for now and show photos.

ydayahaf2bsonosey
Been here a while

Unread post by ydayahaf2bsonosey » April 30th, 2014, 5:13 pm

ydayahaf2bsonosey
Been here a while

Unread post by ydayahaf2bsonosey » April 30th, 2014, 5:15 pm

And not a great shot of it but it's raining at the moment and I got soaked. Just above the tyre you can see the base of the fuel/water separator box. Looks standard, and it really should be.

Now I have had a few people interested about the snorkel and the separator box. Was just taking to the welder about reproducing them for anyone who is keen on them and making some DIY kits. I'm heading to work tomorrow but when I get back will pull apart both and show photos of installs and the like. The separator box is purely bolt on and uses factory mounts, no drilling required. Very easy to take on and off so it's an easy DIY. The snorkel is more in depth. With the design we've stayed away from attachment in the door seals so there is no drama like the rest of them but there is four nutserts in the body of the car. So it is a bit more of an advance DIY. If you are genuinely keen please let me know either through here or PM's so I can get numbers for him and get a more solid price.
Forgot to get side shot, again excuse quality.

Cheers Oli

Rip it up
Here and there

Unread post by Rip it up » April 30th, 2014, 9:16 pm

Thanks for he update oli,
I'm really liking the black and white theme.
Snorkel looks awesome mate. Great fabrication job. Can you explain why you went the custom avenue over a safari?

Query about the brush bar connection. I see two bolt heads on the wing tips and the slider. I'm assuming that there is an internal sleeve for the brush rail to slide in. I am looking at my options for a DIY slider/brush rail setup and like to steer away from the standard two fish plate connection setup that most have. Can you explain how yours were built? And pipe sizes used.

In the tray you have a drawer that looks custom as well. Any chance of explaining the track setup for it? I will have a guess at a few roller bearings bolted along a frame structural rail. With a roller top and bottom of that box section welded to the side of the drawer. Aluminium I guess. Does it pull out full length? Any special features that you did for it?
How well does it seal out dust? If at all.

Do you have any plans for filling in those rear corners behind the mud guards with a corner box?
2009 Ford Ranger Wildtrak.
Built not bought.

ydayahaf2bsonosey
Been here a while

Unread post by ydayahaf2bsonosey » May 1st, 2014, 2:13 pm

As you might be able to tell I like custom gear. Had a bad experience with plastic snorkels, this one is water tight. Also like the look and the fact its a one off, I thought it up a the welder created it. I really like that, feels more mine. Safari as long as it uses a rubber hose from snorkel to airbox are good. The rest are rubbish especially those which uses plastic connectors.

The two fish plates are to connect galvanised fences together, not brush rails. You are correct there is two spigots (internal sleeve) which the brush rail slides over and is bolted. I reckon you could jack off these things. Will get back to you on pipe sizes, 40mm od, I believe 3 or 4mm thick. All mandrel bent. Attached to chassis, will take photos when I'm back in town.

Draw has a few big heavy duty roller bearings top and bottom in the frame with a central track on the draw. Will take photos for you when I'm back in town in a couple of weeks. It is fully dust proof as it's a completely sealed unit other than the opening which has a rubber dust seal all around. Yes pulls out full length but have put stoppers in half a foot from coming out so it doesn't put too much weight on a single roller.

Not filling in the corners, looks to tradie then. Anything else let me know.
Cheers Oli

ydayahaf2bsonosey
Been here a while

Unread post by ydayahaf2bsonosey » May 1st, 2014, 3:26 pm

Was invited to show my vehicle at this so my welder now has a really tight deadline.
Cheers Oli

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » May 1st, 2014, 8:45 pm

Nice mate, love the drawer

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

ydayahaf2bsonosey
Been here a while

Unread post by ydayahaf2bsonosey » May 8th, 2014, 10:52 am

Thanks mate, Canopy is coming along

Cheers Oli

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » May 8th, 2014, 7:17 pm

That's awesome mate. Well done. Please tell me you are putting legs on the side so you can wind it down onto the floor and drive off? I reckon that's the best setup for utes!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

ydayahaf2bsonosey
Been here a while

Unread post by ydayahaf2bsonosey » May 9th, 2014, 12:40 am

Sure does mate, you can see the box section still open in all 4 corners. Legs are a bit overkill, good for 1.5 ton each but can use the rattle gun or handles, guess which one I will use. Watch this space, few cool things still to come.
Cheers Oli

ydayahaf2bsonosey
Been here a while

Unread post by ydayahaf2bsonosey » May 9th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Cheers Oli

ydayahaf2bsonosey
Been here a while

Unread post by ydayahaf2bsonosey » May 13th, 2014, 10:03 pm

Return to “Tourers”