My ugly duckling Pajero

ratwgn
Here and there

My ugly duckling Pajero

Unread post by ratwgn » July 27th, 2013, 11:10 am

Brought my totally stock NJ pajero in november last year for $1500 with rwc and dodgey lifters but the lifters didnt really as i plan on doing a reco on the motor once it hits 350k haha.

When i brought it

I firstly removed the side steps as they are useless flimsy alloy and me being over 6ft have know need for them to get into the car.

Within its first week of being mine me and the misus went and spent 4 days out in howqua getting to know the 4wd off road handled a lot better than i expected it to.

Next few mods i did were stereo upgrade, UHF,removed the rear sway bar and removed the 3rd row seats and wound the torsion bars up and it stayed like that a for a couple of moths due to moving house new job etc.

Eventually i got over the horrible and uncomfortably harsh ride from 15 year old torsion bars being cranked so i did a full lift front and rear from tough dog including H/D Torsion bars and 9 way adjustable rear shockers to.
And i love it so much more comfortable and way better on and off the road.

Full flex

I Then made a home made snorkel and jerry can holder.

I have just installed a rear work light will get photos shortly and better one of the jerry can holder.
I have also ordered a second battery tray and will fit a second deep cycle battery asap.

Future plans are custom rear bar mainly to get rid of the super heavy duty tow bar that hangs lower than the fuel tank with either dual wheels or one wheel and 2 jerrys probably 2 jerrys at this point as the 3.5ltr V6 is pretty thirsty on the long trips even with a 90+ ltr tank.
Mount compressor and tank.
LED light bars.
Manual locking hubs.
33" muddies.

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Re: My ugly duckling Pajero

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » July 27th, 2013, 11:19 am

Looking good Ratwgn.
Your Paj is by no means an 'ugly duckling'. Looks like a pretty damn clean example in the top pic. Just a little muddier in the others :)
$1500, that is what you call cheap fun!
Cheers, Dan.

ratwgn
Here and there

Unread post by ratwgn » July 27th, 2013, 11:39 am

The ugly duckling more refers to the ugly duckling of the 4wd world :lol: underestimated and not given the credit they deserve!
And yes at the price i got it for its 1 hell of a bang for buck.
Did i mention it also has cruise control and sun roof that could be mistaken for a helipad its that big. :eek:

Dree Mon
Avid Poster

Unread post by Dree Mon » July 27th, 2013, 3:14 pm

$1500 ? Great buy ! whats the story on the lifters? and manual or auto?

ratwgn
Here and there

Unread post by ratwgn » July 27th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Manual with super select 4wd.
Lifter are still tapping like no tomorrow. has really phased me as yet as ive been waiting for tax time and ill soon have all mine back and fix the little niggling issues it has and a new clutch, other than the lifters and the now well and truly rooted clutch (never will a teach a learner to drive manual in my car) its perfect.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » July 27th, 2013, 5:28 pm

These are insanely cheap, and I've no idea why. Even the diesels are cheap. Great work mate

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

cruisn06
Been here a while

Unread post by cruisn06 » July 27th, 2013, 7:07 pm

Good looking rig, 1500 is super cheap. I paid 3800 for my Gen 1 a while back.
What brand of manual hubs are you planning on running?

Dree Mon
Avid Poster

Unread post by Dree Mon » July 28th, 2013, 7:30 am

For the noisy lifters do an oil and filter change along with adding a litre of Rislone engine treatment, it's in a yellow plasic bottle, repco and stupid cheap have it, about $ 18, it's the only thing thats stopped mine fr ticking/driving me nuts,

ratwgn
Here and there

Unread post by ratwgn » July 28th, 2013, 12:36 pm

cruisn06

Am probably going to go with the avm hubs mate.
I would have lived a coil sprung gen 1! But just couldn't find any decent ones around!!

Dree Mon

Tried tried and tried all the additives haha its done over 300k and a friend who is an ex MM mechanic said it's not uncommon for the 3.5 to do lifters at those ks.

SaltHorse
Been here a while

Unread post by SaltHorse » July 28th, 2013, 5:31 pm

What a bargain. That's a lot of 4wd for the money.
Once you sort out the lifters you could probably make money if you sold it. Though I don't suppose you'd want to sell a perfectly capable 4wd.

Cheers,

Salty
1990 Suzuki Vitara 1.6
2000 Holden Jackaroo 3.0 TD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=135354
2002 Nissan Patrol ZD30 viewtopic.php?f=187&t=145261

ratwgn
Here and there

Unread post by ratwgn » July 30th, 2013, 9:09 pm

You're right there salthorse i probably could if i wanted to make a profit, but i always loved pajeros and mum/dad had 2 when i was growing up.

on another note, ordered 2nd battery tray so will get that soon, compressor and driving lights have also been ordered. will be heading up to gunnedah for a few weeks work soon so when im back hopefully will get new tires as well.

ratwgn
Here and there

Unread post by ratwgn » August 19th, 2013, 10:54 pm

well picked up a set of 34x10.5 tls super mounted on a set of rim all have roughly 50/60 percent tread and spare has pretty much not been used. just need to grab some correct wheel nuts for the change from factory alloys to steel rims and then i can hopefully test them out.

they guy i brought them off let my test fit and borrow his wheel nuts before i purchased so yes the 34s do fit a pajero!!! only scrub on factory mud flaps so ill change them to a flat rubber style when i get the chance. and do no protrude outside the factory flares either so all in all im very happy!

ratwgn
Here and there

Unread post by ratwgn » September 1st, 2013, 12:14 pm

New photos of the rig

Geeps08
Been here a while

Unread post by Geeps08 » September 1st, 2013, 7:49 pm

These are my fav bang for buck 4by. I luv gqs but if I was to tour aus I'd get one of these. Tough drive train, very comfy for long trips and still capable enough off road for most obstacles you would come across. Top stuff keep us posted on ya mods.
See my face book page . Custom Canopies.

ratwgn
Here and there

Unread post by ratwgn » September 1st, 2013, 9:01 pm

I have to agree there! they are really comfortable on long drives very capable for all for over 15 yrs old! i go out with a few guys that are all in hiluxs cruisers patrols and wranglers and the first few times they could not believe what it could do, albeit on 3 wheels half the time :lol:

Return to “Tourers”