BergDonk's BT50

BergDonk
Here and there

Re: BergDonk's BT50

Unread post by BergDonk » April 3rd, 2013, 3:10 pm

UHF Radio

While I was down at the glovebox, I took some pics of the UHF install.

This one is posted above, but repeated here anyway to keep it together.

A piece of plastic sheet Tek screwed to the steel riser and the radio bolted to it, out of the way of the closed glovebox. To remove the glovebox, just squeeze the sides and it'll fall open some more. Unplug the av and usb connections and unclip it from the hinges for a clear space to work in.

Here's the timer relay that provides the power to the radio and the extra accessory outlets, and keeps it live for 20 mins or so after shutdown. Handy for the servo etc.

Here is the extra speaker for the UHF. The standard one isn't very loud, especially when its tucked up behind the dash. Bit hard to see, but its attached to the same bracket I made for the timer relay and up above the passenger's left foot. Hasn't taken a kick yet!
Subscriptions don't work for me, so I'm unlikely to reply quickly, sorry.
Shed Time is Quality Time
My BT50 - viewtopic.php?f=187&t=141977

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » April 3rd, 2013, 3:27 pm

Water Tanks

50 litres out on the tub against the loading board and secured with ratchet straps. Also a locking strap for security which isn't in the pic. The tank is <> 50 mm wide, so doesn't take up too much space, and its central on the wheelbase. The hose and tap uncurl and come out the back. I have a bung in the connector to keep as much dirt out as possible. I also added a breather to the cap, the small hose snaking up and through the mesh on the rhs. It was a pain before having to loosen it off to get water out, and then remembering to tighten it after. Replacement caps for the Boab tanks have been impossible to get unfortunately, and I can't find another that fits, yet.

The sand flag mount is on the left of the tank, and on the roof rack, you can see the awning bolted in place.

55 litres goes on the back floor. A piece of ply recycled from the Courier, along with the tank and good to go. Also with a breather fitted to the cap, and a hose that uncurls when the door is opened. I also have a short length of hose that connects the 2 tanks together so that I can drain the rear tank to the inside tank as required as its normally easier to access.

As mentioned above, there is enough room for the 'powerpack'. If necessary, the powerpack can go up back, and there is enough leg room for someone to sit there, albeit, not in the most comfort.

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » April 12th, 2013, 8:11 am

I attempted to get my BT50 assessed for a warranty replacement rear left spring the other day. Because I'd fitted springs and shocks to sort the front problems, and air bags and shocks up back already, it would all have to revert to stock to obtain 'factory spec' measurements and photos. All too hard I'm afraid and a replacement would be a bit of a lottery anyway, so Climax leafs are on order. At 7000 kms this should not be happening. Interestingly, the dealer had already replaced one spring under warranty, and also as a DMax dealer, had had approval to fit aftermarket leafs instead of a warranty replacement. My local suspension guy has a Ranger coming in next week for new springs because the originals have collapsed, and more and more rumours of BT50 and Rangers with spring problems are out there.

Is there a problem with Thai spring steel at the moment?

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » April 18th, 2013, 9:25 am

I acquired a set of 4 Boab Sand Tracks a few years ago from a 4wd shop whose operator assured me they worked as well as Maxtrax and were half the price. Used them himself in fact. Testing proved otherwise as they either stayed put and the tyres spun, or turned over, got dragged under. I got a box of gutter bolts and a roll of grip tape which gave me grip for the tyre, but then they just slid under, so then added some angle cleats to the under side and now they work. 3/4 cost of Maxtrax and 50% longer.

SWMBO tried out the shovel.

Drove in in 2wd and drove out in 2wd with no diff lock. Success

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » April 19th, 2013, 11:13 am

The Climax leafs went in yesterday. With the airbags empty the left side is 5 mm lower than the right. To get it up to the airbag spec of 140 mm it takes 5 psi in the right, same as before, and 15 psi instead of 27 psi in the left with 2/3 tank of fuel. Maybe still not ideal, but much better.

And it rides smoother, so happy enough for now.

The long range tank now goes in on Tuesday so we'll see how that works out.

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » April 25th, 2013, 6:18 pm

The tank is in and doing the job. No leaks, and 145 litres from Brown Davis. Because we head for Birdsville next week I was keen to get it sorted. The ARB option ordered locally 3 months ago kept being delayed a couple of weeks very couple of weeks. Brown Davis owed me a favour and we had a daughter to visit in Melbourne, so a drive south was in order. 1.75 hrs to fit the tank was pretty good I thought, especially as it took me most of a day to fit the big tank to my old Courier.

Finished the 10,000 km service today. The oil drain solution posted above worked fine. A bit of seepage from the filter was dealt with by some rag.

One thing that was interesting, and perhaps a concern was that when cruising home the cruise control stopped working. Stopping and restarting, as long as it was for a minute or so for the system to fully shut down reset it and it was fine thereafter. Software :worry:

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » May 21st, 2013, 10:22 am

Back home from the Simpson OK after one potential major issue.

We kissed a couple of dune crests on the QAA which I didn't think much about at the time. When we setup camp about 30 kms west of Poeppel on the French Line I gave the car a once over and spotted a drop on the underside of the tank. Barely a pinhole where a internal baffle had been welded. We suspect an over penetrated weld. We were almost past the point of no return, so I decided to keep going and monitor. By Dalhousie, the next night, it had opened up a bit and I estimate we'd lost maybe a litre or two all up. Attempts at bogging it up weren't too successful. It was no worse at Mt Dare. Our plan had been the Binns Track via Old Andado but I decided to head directly for Alice via Finke and the Old Ghan.

I called the tank maker, Brown Davis, who had fitted the tank in their workshop in Melbourne on 23/05. The first top up was in Booroowa on 02/05 enroute to Cobar after leaving Melbourne. 1400 km range is handy. Brown Davis were concerned. I thought they might have a local agent in Alice I could talk to about a proper repair, but welders it seems are hard to come by in Alice ATM, they've all gone mining, and up to 5 days was the estimate to fix it. So I bogged it up again and we decided to slab it to Melbourne with a few diversions and get Brown Davis to fix it. Kept the level low, and the leak was stable.

They made a new tank and swapped it out instead of patching. They plan to cut it up and figure out what went wrong and will advise in due course. They gave me a Scan Gauge, about $160 worth as some form of compensation, and a promise of discounts on other stuff I may want, so can't complain about their service at all. They have a nice under tub 2nd battery tray that might be a good idea.

The Old Andado and Plenty Hwy will have to wait for another day, maybe 2 wheels next time.

Some pics:

A bike rider crashed on Walker's Crossing Track injuring himself, so we loaded his bike, and him, and took them to Bridsville.

Surfing up Little Red with 15 psi.

And every which way up Big Red.

Seen this one before?

A local kept an eye on us for a bit.

Bit hard to be sure with the leak, but about 65 litres from Birdsville to Mt Dare. Certainly less than 70. Pretty good I reckon.

Phil84
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Phil84 » May 22nd, 2013, 9:32 am

HI Bergdonk
Nice looking truck you have and what looks like a well thought about setup.
Good to hear that you got great service from Brown Davis with the tank.

Also noticed something i recognised in that last post. BENZ's (Dad's) bike in the back of you truck.

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » May 22nd, 2013, 10:04 am

T'was Benz himself. He's in the front seat in the second pic heading up Little Red too. He took 4 days to ride home from Birdsville in a jogger with a broken leg and dislocated ankle, that's one tough Dad you have!

cruza driver
Part of the furniture

Unread post by cruza driver » October 20th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Great read BergDonk, thanks for all the effort in sharing your BT Mate !!
BT50 GT
[b][i]BITUMEN IS OVER RATED[/i][/b]

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » February 7th, 2014, 9:58 am

So its been a while since I've updated this thread, but I guess that's good, because not much to report. 1st anniversary last week, and coincidentally, 40,000 kms too. The 40k service mentions the cabin filter, which I must have seen previously, but it hadn't registered. I have both the Ranger and BT50 workshop manuals as well as the owners handbook but couldn't find any reference to it anywhere other than the service item checklist.

A quick Google yielded this thread with the clues needed, and a link to some filters which arrived yesterday:
http://www.ozmazda.com/board/index.php/ ... in-filter/

The filter is tucked up behind the glovebox, on top of the fan and easy to get at once you understand the mechanism.

After squeezing the sides of the glove box, it drops down revealing the necessaries. Fuzzy pic, sorry, but then squeeze the tabs and pull, the filter cover comes off.

Remove and service or replace the filter, observing the flow direction arrow on the filter, flows down. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly :lol:

Grotty filter not too bad. I had previously reversed flushed it, so the bugs are gone.

Been here a while

Unread post by 953 » May 22nd, 2016, 11:55 am

Just wondering how the suspension is 2yrs later ?
Cheers Dean.

wishnIwozfishn
Here and there

Unread post by wishnIwozfishn » May 27th, 2016, 10:44 am

Great thread, love it and very useful. I have just bought a new ranger after more than 20 years of land cruiser ownership so having to adjust significantly. It's certainly not all bad but I'd got to know my vehicles inside out and now I have to start learning all over again, so threads like this are gold to me. That's also one nice set up you have. I hope to start a build thread for mine and share experiences too. Keep up the great work!

Return to “Tourers”