BergDonk's BT50

BergDonk
Here and there

Re: BergDonk's BT50

Unread post by BergDonk » March 18th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Transfer Case plug, also magnetic and a nice coating of metallic sludge.

Similarly the front diff.

But no magnet on the gearbox plug and nice and clean. Interestingly, the gearbox oil has come out fairly clean, whereas the diffs and transfer case oil looked like it'd done 5000 kms inside an old diesel.

Nothing noticeable in the drain pans left after emptying.
Last edited by BergDonk on March 19th, 2013, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subscriptions don't work for me, so I'm unlikely to reply quickly, sorry.
Shed Time is Quality Time
My BT50 - viewtopic.php?f=187&t=141977

jackal77
Here and there

Unread post by jackal77 » March 19th, 2013, 5:50 am

By the time I got to 10000kms the computer had got use to my driving and fixed a lot of the problems you have mentioned, my major gripe is fuel consumption, if I sit on 110 I get around 10.5 which pisses me off, I have a little extra weight and length with an oversize tray but it shouldn't make that much difference I believe, sorry didn't mean to hack your thread just find it very annoying and very interesting that you can get such good figures with the larger tyres

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » March 19th, 2013, 3:14 pm

As I'm finding more info on more BT50 and Ranger forums, it seems there is quite a bit of variation in what people are getting. There may be variations with calibration of the system that calculates the readout, dunno. But its always worth checking the trip meter with a GPS and the litres at the bowser and checking, especially with different tyres.

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » March 19th, 2013, 3:21 pm

I finished the driveline fluid change. The gearbox took a little over 3 litres, not the 2.7 litres advertised, so make sure you get 4 litres at least when you do it.

The rest that I used was to top up the 'box when I did the 1000 km inspection, 600 ml.

The Castrol Syntrax FE75 was sold to me when I got the car from the dealer, supposedly Oz's biggest Mazda dealer. They had to research it to find out what to provide, none in stock. They seemed to have about 20 service bays in operation servicing cars all the time.

Not due until 250,000, but I'm pleased I've done it.

Probably do them all again at about 50k, dunno yet.
Last edited by BergDonk on March 19th, 2013, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » March 19th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Although I'll leave the engine oil change until closer to 10k, I thought while I'm under there I'd figure out how I'd do it. I understand that filter access is simplest through the wheel arch, and I'll pull the wheel and have a look, but it certainly appears that way so far.

In the meantime, with the ARB bash plate fitted, I didn't want to have to remove it to drain the oil.

Raided the missus' baking trays and found some 1" fittings in my collection and a bit of 1" hose.

Slides in over the gearbox bash plate and cross member and will drain off to the side. Should work fine, we'll see.

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » March 19th, 2013, 3:37 pm

To access power for the relay that powers the accessories, including the Waterwatch, I used one of these piggy back fuse holders. A simple neat solution that replaces a fuse and then has 2 sockets, one for the original fuse and another for the new circuit.

The socket in the fuse box I used is a spare, so only one fuse fitted. The one on the lid is for display purposes, and a spare for something later maybe. As noted the circuit goes live when the doors open and/or the key is inserted, then times out if the engine isn't started. Works OK, and mean the worst of the Waterwatch screech on bootup happens when you are out of the car, so I think it'll stay this way. Because the other stuff I have on this circuit is on the timer relay fed by the accessories relay powered by this circuit, it stays on for much longer, until the timer relay times out if it doesn't go live :crazy:

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » March 20th, 2013, 4:32 pm

I don't plan to do the engine oil change until later, but later could actually be on the road on our upcoming Simpson trip, so I wanted to get organised. The drain system above is part of that, and the next bit is to figure out how to change the filter. I got 10 packaged with the vehicle, so that bit is under control. Also got some air and fuel filters, so all receipts for genuine consumables in case its an issue later.

I spotted a reference in one of the threads to accessing the filter through the wheel arch, and a quick look indicated that it looked promising. Its a long way down from up top, and my Waterwatch and breather extensions restrict access that way a bit too. Perhaps possible from underneath, but tight.

Wheel removed and the plastic panel is easy to see, held in by the usual expanding plastic clips. Two rows, one on the chassis, and the other on top on the body.

I removed the top four clips and the panel folded down out of the way, exposing the filter housing nicely. Some rags underneath and a 6 point 27 mm socket and it should swap out fine. And you probably only need to remove the top 2 clips to get enough access, maybe.

I then put four nutserts into the holes.

After filling them with some antisieze, the panel is back in place. Four 5 mm screws with a small spring washer acting as a spacer to match the thickness of the panel, and some mudguard washers. It is a mudguard after all :rolleyes: With short screws that don't protrude through the nutsert, and the antisieze, the threads should stay OK and it'll facilitate filter changes.

Looks like it might be accessible OK without wheel removal too, perhaps on full lock. Not too big a deal for me as I plan to rotate all 6 wheels each service anyway.

Is it me, or does anyone else think that some of the wiring under here looks a bit vulnerable?

On a different subject, I spoke to my suspension guy today, and all the bits are in his workshop ready to go, 4 x Bilsteins, front springs and rear airbags. Hopefully this'll restore the front end, and give some flexibility with loads in the back. I mostly run near empty, but when traveling, maybe 500 kg max. A couple of dirt bikes, or a pile of space cases with camping gear etc. Booked in after Easter for fitment, and maybe he'll have the big tank by then too.

foxy
Avid Poster

Unread post by foxy » March 20th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Nice thread here......gearbox oil is a finicky one due to the issues they had with the box in the US mustang...so interested to see what you say about noise and shift smoothness. Scanguage indicates idle speed set to maintain at 770rpm until 40+ intake temp them 1000rpm. Hope this is of use to you.

Foxy

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » March 21st, 2013, 7:56 am

foxy wrote:Nice thread here......gearbox oil is a finicky one due to the issues they had with the box in the US mustang...so interested to see what you say about noise and shift smoothness. Scanguage indicates idle speed set to maintain at 770rpm until 40+ intake temp them 1000rpm. Hope this is of use to you.

Foxy
I thought it changed a bit smoother after the top up at 1000 kms, which I reckon indicated it was underfilled from new. And maybe just a poofteenth smoother again after the oil change the other day. I'm not aware of the gearbox's history, so might have to google a bit. My awareness to date indicated it was a new box for the Ranger/BT50.

Found this for the Mustang:
https://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sclien ... 56&bih=815

I have no complaints about the gearbox, it changes sweetly, although I haven't tried any snap changes as they aren't really a diesel thing. Its certainly got a short throw, and the spring loading on the gate works fine, so no complaints even before it smoothed out a bit with the oil topup and subsequent change. Winter is coming, so see how it goes with sub zero temps in a few months.

I know the engine has European roots, found this links FWIW:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine
Struggling to find much else. Someone on a forum suggested it has Volvo origins, dunno.

Interesting about the idle, I shall observe.

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » March 27th, 2013, 9:45 am

Fire extinguishers are something we should all carry with us, and know how to use them too. Very cheap insurance. I like to carry 2 in the 4wd, and I like them under the front of the seats where they are immediately accessible and not in the way of anything either, a tough combination sometimes. The horizontal position means the powder doesn't pack down quite so bad, but they still need shaking up before use, and I also rotate them every so often to keep it moving inside.

In my Courier it was a simple job to tek screw the mounts to the floor, but in the BT50 it wasn't so easy so I made up some brackets from some 25 x 2 flat, and some large 2 mm mud guard washers lying about and a splash of black paint. Clears the floor mat and seat adjuster too.

The positioning towards the transmission tunnel means they don't slide out of the mount.

The other stuff visible is a wheel brace under the passenger seat for ready access to check wheel nuts when touring and an axe beside the driver's seat for clearing trails, getting some wood for the fire, or assisting road kill. Under the axe handle is a recovery hitch for the tow bar which sits there nicely. A large shackle to go with it is under the seat where it doesn't rattle.

Gimp4930
Here and there

Unread post by Gimp4930 » March 31st, 2013, 4:17 pm

Thanks for the very informative write up. I am about 20 months away from a purchase and have started collecting as much info as I can to make my modifications easily. I will be interested to see if Ford become more competitive with pricing by then, the new Triton will have been released placing more pressure on them. Otherwise I am with you, why pay extra for a badge?

thanks again
Do or do not, there is no try YODA

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » April 2nd, 2013, 5:17 pm

Gimp4930 wrote:Thanks for the very informative write up. ............
No worries :)

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » April 2nd, 2013, 5:36 pm

Second Battery

We generally only spend one night camping in any spot and to date a Waeco cooler has done the job for the two of us, especially in winter. To give us some more operating time I decided to do a second battery on the cheap. I got a new SSB 80 AH AGM sealed battery and added some outlets.

I used an old nylon cutting board cut to size and clamped to the top of the battery by the conveniently detachable posts which also sandwiches the terminations. A couple of insulating post caps are in place when the posts are not needed, which will be most of the time. By not using a battery box, it fits on the passenger floor next to the water tank, pics to come. It can be easily taken out to power a device like the cooler or a compressor, or jump start someone. The socket lying on top on its own is a CTek one for when its sitting in the shed.

A 12v-12v DC charger should top it up through the day. We'll test it properly this weekend.

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » April 3rd, 2013, 2:56 pm

Suspension

Bilsteins and + 30 mm springs front and Bilsteins and Airbagman Firestone airbags up back.

The net result is about a 20 mm lift in the front, and similar up back. It now floats over the same corrugations and holes that had it bouncing sideways and the stability control working overtime. Better than it was before the bullbar and bash plates were fitted. It also turns in better, with less plough as the front end collapsed before.

Only thing now to be resolved is what appears to be a sacked out stock rear left leaf spring. The left sits <> 30 mm lower than the right and needs 25 psi in the airbag to get it level with the right which only needs 5 psi to get the bag to its nominal 5.5" - 6" height. I've set them at 140 mm with the above pressures. This is with 1/2 a tank of fuel. This could become an issue with the 150 litre tank scheduled for fitting next week, let alone with any load. 40 psi is max pressure, and not where I want to be for normal driving. I've had a chat to a couple of dealers about a warranty replacement, so we'll see how this goes next week. 7000 kms. I've also noted that there are a few reports of sagged springs on the Ranger forums, so maybe Thai spring steel is not so good? All the aftermarket springs seem to be for lifts and/or heavier loads, whereas the combo I want is standard rate and height, the the bags for leveling and a 20 mm lift.
Last edited by BergDonk on April 3rd, 2013, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BergDonk
Here and there

Unread post by BergDonk » April 3rd, 2013, 2:59 pm

I figured out how to get some mp3 tunes playing via the USB connection in the glovebox. The socket is a bit of a pain to get at when seated to swap sticks, so I got a 6" lead on eBay. Sorted!

Return to “Tourers”