Mungrel's GU Patrol - GUUEY

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Mungrel's GU Patrol - GUUEY

Unread post by Mungrel » December 17th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Ok, so i haven't picked it up yet (tomorrow if all goes to plan!)
After the Jackaroo died a few weeks back, i set about finding a replacement car.
As always, learning from experience, i had three pre-requisites for the successor.
1) Diesel
2) Live front axle - none of this IFS stuff this time round.
3) Coil sprung. Nothing against those in dual cabs etc, very useful cars, but leaf springs are just too uncomfortable. (or maybe im just a skirt?)

Oh and of course had to be newer than the roo.

So anyways, after doing some looking round, i gave a former work mate of my brothers a call down @ Shacks, who told me they'd just traded a 1998 GU Patrol ST, 2.8TD, hadn't even had a chance to detail it yet.
So we took a drive down late last week and took it for a test drive. Now granted, the 2.8 isn't going to set any land speed records, it still felt quite good, and certainly no less powerful than the roo. The interior was schmick, dual batteries, and 40ch already fitted. Super spacious and comfy too.

So we struck up a deal, and with the all clear from the mechanics, she gets detailed tomorrow and hopefully ready for pickup tomorrow night :D

Here's some pics taken on the night of the test drive.

Good list of equipment on her already, nissan bullbar, tow bar, side steps, Dual tanks (No idea if this is standard across the range, or a factory option? - anyone know what the capacity on both tanks is?)

And tonight i ordered a 3" mandrel bent exhaust with the bung welded into the dump pipe for the digital EGT gauge I ordered.

Next on the list will be:
Lightforce HID Spotties.
285/75R16's on the factory wheels.
2" Suspension lift. (Maybe 3", will take some measurements when i get it home and decide)
RooSystems chip (or similar? Recommendations?) I'm happy to pay the price for reliable tuning.
Full length roof rack with roof top tent.
Canvas Seat covers.
Boost Gauge
Bigger / Better quality radiator to reduce the risk of overheating.

That's all for now. Will post up better pics this weekend provided the sunshine hangs around :D
Last edited by Mungrel on December 20th, 2012, 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Mungrel's GU Patrol (Soon to be...)

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 17th, 2012, 10:49 pm

If they are standard fuel tanks, they'll be 95 litres main (rear) with about 90 of that usable; and what's generally called a 30 litre sub tank, (actually about 38 litres) but with about 30 litres useable! ;)

Doesn't look too bad, but I'd toss those side steps before you go 4WD'ing, get something that won't bend the first time they touch anything, and even more importantly, make sure that the replacements mount off the chassis & not off the floor pan or door sills! :(

The overheating thing isn't usually a major issue if you keep the cooling system well maintained and don't push for too much power by winding up the fuel or going too far with the chip! The bigger exhaust & EGT gauge will help avoid that last bit tho, so make sure you look after and service the entire cooling system regularly.

The only real issue with the 2.8 will be likely to be the clutch - the dual mass flywheel/clutch arrangement isn't very robust if you don't use it properly, and cos the engine relies on revs & the turbo to deliver it's power and torque, many people tend to ride the clutch a bit more than they should, & then pay the penalty when the clutch dies prematurely. Get an Outback Xtreme replacement flywheel with the clutch plate & cover to suit the driving you are doing and you can usually forget that problem until the vehicle wears out! :)

Enjoy!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

superoo2
Here and there

Unread post by superoo2 » December 18th, 2012, 5:36 pm

Hi,
Great looking vehicle which is very similar to mine which I brought 6 months ago.
Mine is a 3:0 lt turbo desiel which for what I need has plenty of power.
I'll be looking forward to the updates and what gear you fit as I'm presently in the market for suspension and 285/75/16s A/Ts of whatever brand. Maybe Mickey Thomsons I would prefer.

Cheers. :)
GET OUT AND ENJOY THE OUTDOORS....

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » December 19th, 2012, 12:44 pm

Thanks for that info Pete! Much appreciated.
Yeah the side steps are on the list to change, but not a huge priority at this stage.

Good bit about the job i started last week, got plenty of contacts for suspension / filters etc :D

Nice buy Superoo! 3L would have been great, but this will tie me over for a while.
You're at freo are ya? I'm only down the road in Claremont nowadays.

Not too sure which suspension i'll go for, so many options / brands out there, so many opinions. I'll have to do more reading on that topic before i make a decision!

My brother has 265/75R16's on his Colorado in the MTZ's i think they are, nice chunky looking tire, but again, i'm not a hundred 100% sold on them yet.

Delivery has been pushed back to thursday now, the detailer that's contracted to do the job double booked.
Ho-hum, its only another day :)

When in doubt,

patrol buster
Been here a while

Unread post by patrol buster » December 19th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Mungrel wrote:Delivery has been pushed back to thursday now, the detailer that's contracted to do the job double booked.
Ho-hum, its only another day :)
That mug !! you should go around there with that high powered trail bike of yours and rip up his front yard :lol: :lol:

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » December 19th, 2012, 11:09 pm

Haha he'd probably want in on the action!
Went there this avo to pay for the window tinting, got to see her again with the new tint, darkest legal, looks good :D
One more sleep!

Even better, the bloke who's buying the roo, rang up this evening wanting to know if he could pick it up tonight.
Should be here any minute :D

Provided all is good with that, i'll be down @ 4x4&More down the road from work, during my lunch break to buy some big arse HID spotties :D

BTW Peter, Just in relation to EGT's, This stuff is pretty new to me, is there a peak figure (with a post turbo sensor) I should be watching out for?

When in doubt,

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Mungrel's GU Patrol (One more sleep...)

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 19th, 2012, 11:54 pm

Post turbo, don't go over 550 Deg C. Go over that, and things could be dicey; I've know a few who've done it regularly and gotten away with it, but then others who've only just let it sneak up over the 550 mark once, and that meant bye bye engine! :eek:

Still, if there's a good diesel tuner nearby they should be able to set it up well and provide any info you want on that sort of stuff - sort the inlet & outlet pipes, set the fuel properly, tweak the pump, sort the injectors, wave their magic wand, and better power and better fuel economy can be the result - well worth pending the dough on a good diesel tune up at some stage! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » December 20th, 2012, 8:53 am

Cool, thanks for that :D

When in doubt,

patrol buster
Been here a while

Unread post by patrol buster » December 20th, 2012, 7:35 pm

Not long now, got any tracks sorted to test her out ?

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » December 20th, 2012, 7:55 pm

Naah no tracks planned yet. Just wanna enjoy it on road for a little while :lol:

I finally got it! :D

Needless to say, i'm stoked :D

Oh, and proceeds from the sale of Jackaroo have been well spent too...

Some purdy Lightforce 240 HID's :D

When in doubt,

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 20th, 2012, 8:40 pm

But it's soo cleeean!! And no bush pinstripes, is it really a 4WD? :D

Those lights will make it look even better......

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » December 20th, 2012, 8:49 pm

Haha there's still a good amount of dirt on it actually. Geez, if i did a job like that, back when i did detailing i'd be shot at dawn! lol.
I'm good with getting her dirty - just wanna keep the bush pinstripes to a minimum lol. One of the reasons i like white though, they don't show it as much.

When in doubt,

patrol buster
Been here a while

Unread post by patrol buster » December 20th, 2012, 9:47 pm

Looks bloody awesome there buddy :thumb: Lyn said you got the right 4by for when you meet the right girl and have a tribe of ankle biters yourself, told her that'll never happen, he's loving his freedom :lol: :lol:

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » December 20th, 2012, 10:40 pm

Haha i hadn't thought of that, but valid point.
One day maybe hey!

Took it out for a drive tonight to get some grub with my brother, it's so nice to drive, though i did stall it once, in the middle of an intersection haha, minor details. though hehe

When in doubt,

patrol buster
Been here a while

Re: Mungrel's GU Patrol - GUUEY

Unread post by patrol buster » December 21st, 2012, 2:47 pm

Fault in the 4by or the driver ? :lol: :lol:

Return to “Tourers”