76 series GXL Cruiser Build Up

VDJ_ED
Here and there

Re: 76 series GXL Cruiser Build Up

Unread post by VDJ_ED » November 7th, 2013, 6:47 pm

just read through your whole thread.... im so jealous hahahaha (even thou i have a 79 not a 76)

loving the vids mate, favorite one was the one from the farm where you climb the hill and get the front wheels airbourne... Awsome! hahaha staying tuned to this build!

Just a side note for you guys with v8 cruisers, if you need any info from a genuine toyota workshop manual shoot me a PM and ill email the info to you guys. just helping out :)
Contact for info on Rent a hoist service in western syd via PM

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » November 8th, 2013, 1:15 pm

VDJ_ED

Thanks mate, appreciate the offer with the workshop manual, may take you up on that and cheers, love the cruiser and love doing the build up too! Will have some fresh videos next week!

Hey Matt
All good mate, not even sure why it says that, very incorrect; I actually only posted it 2 days ago, the date on the forum must be incorrect!
My initial idea was to put a nut under the floor and bolt through it and that would be ideal, but can't get to under the floor because of the long range tank. The pot-rivets unfortunately would not work either, the support tongue that sits off the drawers is 4mm steel and the sheer weight of the drawers moving from the motion would rip the rivets right out, i'd also like to minimise the holes I have to drill to keep it fairly water-tight. Cheers heaps for the reply, might have to consider dropping the tank out over a long weekend

Brades
Brades
--------------------------------------------------------------
2010 76 LandCruiser GXL Build-Up:
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=136912
YouTube - 76 Series Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/BradesR31

Mikal52
Been here a while

Unread post by Mikal52 » December 18th, 2013, 1:35 pm

Hey mate, dunno if you've sorted the drawers out yet. But mine a bolted straight through the floor as you were thinking, and the rear bolts are just to either side of the long range tank so I was still able to tighten them from under the car. If your drawer frame is similar to mine I can't imagine it'd be too hard.

Cheers
Michael
Here for a good time, not a long time

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » January 6th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Happy New Year everyone, bit of an update. Spent most of the day yesterday hardwiring and installing my ARB single compressor into the rear of my 76. Decided to mount it under the left hand side of my drawer system so it was easily accessible and only have to have one of the rear doors open to use it. It saved the pain of running the switches behind the dash or finding a spot to mount it under the bonnet. All in all, very happy with it, and it came up very neat and tidy! I ran the cables through the firewall, under the carpet and into the rear panel and drilled/ chiselled an extra hole in the drawers to mount the switch too.
1513274_278674712279879_1518617480_n.jpg
1515031_278674658946551_1092338589_n.jpg
1524818_278674592279891_885900436_n.jpg
1545183_278674542279896_709169851_n.jpg
Next on the list is to wire up the Waeco CDF-11 Fridge to replace the centre console and install the exhaust.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brades

Leeps226
Here and there

Unread post by Leeps226 » January 6th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Looks great Brades.
Im still tossing up whether to fit mine underbonnet or not. Is it nosiy in the cab when its running?
I wonder where this track goes...................?

viewtopic.php?f=187&t=146985

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » January 10th, 2014, 9:32 am

Nice job there, something a bit different to the usual under bonnet job.

Saw you on boxing day coming into pt wakefield, thought the cruiser sounded a little quiet still.

Did you end up going the same system I got?

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » January 10th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Leeps226

Hey Mate, nar not very noisy at all, but honestly, i doubt ill ever be in the cab while it's running because i'll be out pumping up the tires! Even so, you can easily speak over the top of it. A wicked little unit!

rossimo

Hey Ross!

Yea thought that was you!! We were heading away to Marion Bay for a couple of weeks, such a great time away too. With the compressor I, didn't really have a lot of room under the bonnet with the two batteries and with only just enough space to mount the second fuel filter under there too, so i decided to run it out of the way from the drawers.

Yes! The cruiser is still quiet, but not for long!!!!! Monday I will order the new pipe. I will be going with the Redback Extreme 3" pipe only, (same as you) but i'm going to get a cat as well to keep it all legal and no ressy or muffler as was originally thinking. Hopefully have it by the end of the week and should catch up on the weekend for a burn if you're around!
Brades

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » January 10th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Nice one, can't beat some time away at Yorkes.

I'll be working that weekend but back over the Aus day weekend.

You'll wonder why you didn't get an exhaust earlier once you fit it up and take it for a drive! I also re-used the original nuts on the back of the turbo as the copper type ones supplied didn't fit as nice as the originals.

Donk94
Here and there

Unread post by Donk94 » January 10th, 2014, 8:42 pm

Top looking rig bud, only just had a browse through but some good ideas in there
Lucky it wasnt my sthil that cut you off

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » January 29th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Nice rig mate. Thanks for making this thread, it has given me more confidence about the 76, as it is very plain and boring to me. I still believe they should have used the 105 series as the platform. Looks way better, a lot more to offer and more comfortable as well. Hopefully I pick mine up next Friday

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » February 20th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Just bought a boat! Progress on the 76, besides re-wiring the trailer plug and reverse camera has been halted, the new love of my life! As they say... 'my other car... is a boat!'
Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 3.31.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 3.32.27 PM.png
There has been an increase in fuel consumption due to the extra towing weight up to 18.2L/100km at 110km/h.. but understandable, and i'm thinking i might even take off the roofrack and front top spotties to assist with less wind-drag on the cruiser it self.. or at least give it a month with it off, to see if it actually makes any difference! Got a couple of trips coming up so will definitely have a heap more pics of the 76 very soon. Have a few build shots to add to the computer when I get a chance too.

Will keep you posted!

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brades

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » February 20th, 2014, 5:19 pm

Hahaha.. yeah I can imagine. My other car would be a dirt bike or quad. Understandable about the fuel consumption. I picked my rig up about 2 weeks ago now. Still stock as a rock except for 3" exhaust. Getting wheels put on soon and looking for an Xrox bullbar, then lift kit. Will be hooking it up to the 3T caravan shortly to give it a run and see how it copes with the load.

Stonepointer
Here and there

Unread post by Stonepointer » February 20th, 2014, 5:28 pm

Perfect little tinny 3.9 is what I had and easy to get it in and out on your own if you have a few spare hours one day - sea cliff yatch club beach ramp is the best for town (no ramp rage on busy days). Have you had it out in the Murray mouth yet? I've got heaps of whiting marks up to 5KM out from brighton and glenelg you can have. A great spot for a tinny that size is the salmon hole and reef at the GAP Cape Elizabeth - well done. The Exhaust might fix the economy maybe? do you recon your spotties mess with the intercooler and air temp?
Here fishy fishy fishy.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » February 20th, 2014, 11:55 pm

Boat???
Gotta be happy with that... now you just gotta get the fish in the damn thing...lol
Happy trails
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » February 24th, 2014, 10:04 am

Stonepointer

Awesome mate - definitely keen on those spots mate, will send you a text. Yea looking to get up to yorkes as well, have a few mates up at Moonta, so the Gap is definitely on the cards. Heading down to Southend (Beachport) to throw the cray pots in next weekend (after Clipsal) and then again over Easter weekend.

In regards to the econemy, i'm hoping to swap a light bar with the two spotties above the bullbar, also to eliminate any deflection of air getting to my intercooler too. Definitely think the exhaust will help with econemy too.

monkeybucket

Yea very happy with that! Been out when ever the winds are right, which has actually been a fair bit! Smashing the gar, mackerel, and tommies, just need to find some whiting now!
Brades

Return to “Tourers”