76 series GXL Cruiser Build Up

Brades
Been here a while

76 series GXL Cruiser Build Up

Unread post by Brades » October 19th, 2012, 11:46 am

I had been looking to upgrade from my non-turbo 99 SR5 Dual Cab Hilux for around 12 months and wanted something with some more grunt, not hard get get more power when your upgrading from the gutless Hilux! Although gutless, the Lux served me very well over 5 years and hardly ever missed a beat so Toyota was the obvious choice to continue the trend.. I had looked at a few 100 series Cruisers that were 'ok', but really wanted a manual trans.. I couldn't find a decent manual cruiser that I really liked until I came across a used 76 gxl and was able to take it out for a test drive mid last year. My mind was made up that a 76 is what I wanted.

I started the search within South Australia with not much luck, I test drove almost all the 76's around Adelaide but were all ex-gov or workmates from WA (mines) so begun to look outside SA. I did a lot of research over the time I was looking and still having the Lux I wasn't in a hurry to upgrade... Until... I found an immaculate 2010 GXL down in TAS, single owner with full logbook history (from a dealer with warranty) I did all the background checks and RACV inspection came out 100% clean so I put a deposit down. It took 5 days to sell the Lux and got more than what I asked for so booked my flights down to Tassie to pick up the new truck and boy was I pleased! Everything was as expected so I took delivery and drove it back from Hobart to Adelaide (over on the ferry).

On the way back between Melbourne and Adelaide with no more than a backpack in the back seat I really found out why they are called a 'LandCruiser...' One word. Amazing. I got 10.5L/100kms at 110km/h out of the stock 90L tank and was very happy with that considering I was making the most of having a turbo-V8 for the first time.

A month has now passed and the build-up has begun, I am planning to take this vehicle from stock to a nice tourer, ready for some long trips interstate and on some harsh country; this car will be used mainly on the weekends but will still need to commute around town on the odd occasion. I fish almost every weekend so needs to be kept simple and reliable and practical.

I look forward to sharing my progress with you along the build up!

2010 76 Series Toyota LandCruiser MY10 VDJ76R 76 Series GXL
58XXXkms

Enjoy! Brades
Last edited by Brades on October 19th, 2012, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brades
Been here a while

Re: 76 series GXL Cruiser Build Up

Unread post by Brades » October 19th, 2012, 11:52 am

First look the day I picked it up!
217899_120431908104161_1722249252_n.jpg
Found a hill to drive it up as soon as I picked it up:
545360_121305268016825_401325165_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » October 19th, 2012, 12:08 pm

The first thing I did when I got back to Adelaide is booked it in for tint all round, the clear glass.. Was clear glass and needed some darkening! Especially with plans to keep the fridge in the back etc.

The cruiser happily already came with a GME UHF with aerial mounted on the right hand side of the Toyota bullbar and a dual battery system already wired up, which I was very pleased not to have to invest in. I also kept my 110A/h battery from the Hilux and put that straight in place of the smaller aux battery already under the bonnet.

From the Hilux I kept a pair of Lightforce XGT spotties and the GME tx4400 UHF and mounted the aerial on the left hand side with future plans for a roof console to mount it.
227859_121919491288736_936819484_n.jpg
The tint is currently the most worthwhile upgrade I've done so far and think it looks great!
282074_122310484582970_17624259_n.jpg

Future plans for the truck include:

- Roof Console DONE
- Centre console (with two drink holders)(Only comes standard with a single drink holder??) DONE
- Draw system for the back DONE
- Install speakers in the front doors and replace the wagon boot speakers DONE
- Canvas seat covers
- Second pair of Lightforce spotties for the front bar DONE
- 2" lift DONE
- 16x8s and Mickey Thompson MTZs DONE
- Safari Snorkel (to replace the unsealed raised air-intake)
- 3" Turbo back exhaust
- 166L Long Ranger Tank to replace the stock 90L DONE
- Turbo Timer DONE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Brades on November 20th, 2012, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

wills
Been here a while

Unread post by wills » October 19th, 2012, 2:45 pm

nice looking beast should build up quite nicely i love the look of the 76 series as it has the old toyota body look if i had the money i would jump at the new duel cab 70 ute any day :drool: :drool: :thumb:

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » October 19th, 2012, 2:56 pm

I think some tint on my rig would be well worth it too. :)
Last edited by monkeybucket on October 19th, 2012, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

HDJ78R
Need to get out more

Unread post by HDJ78R » October 19th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Congrats on finding such excellent vehicle mate. It looks good already, sure it will be looking even better soon. lol
No-one gets left behind.

[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/oncedisturbed/21071285431am_a6cbf.png[/img]

ymy-88u
Avid Poster

Unread post by ymy-88u » October 19th, 2012, 4:03 pm

now i gotta pull my finger out and get my big dog its own thread haha,

with the snorkel, dont get rid of it, the factory one is fine, ive never heard of anyone removing it to fit a safari.

all ya gotta do is silicone/block the drain hole in the air box(maybe leave a pin hole through it for small amounts of water/rain, and remove the top part of the snokel (replace that with a 3.5" ram head while your at it of ebay then remove the snorkel from the joints and fill with black silicone and fit it all back together making sure you dont make a mess of your white duco.

the safari is designed the same and you still have to silicone them up to be 100% water proof
V8 79 Series (175rwkw) & HJ47 W2A intercooled & turbo (75rwkw) both methanol injected

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » October 22nd, 2012, 1:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys! Very busy weekend working on the truck and ticked a number of things off the list!

Roof Console, stereo upgrade, draw system, lighting upgrade... Will post up some pics soon

The Roof Console from Outback Interiors
Screen Shot 2012-10-22 at 1.45.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-10-22 at 1.45.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-10-22 at 1.45.59 PM.png
Awesome upgrade to the truck! The LED lights are so bright and makes soo much difference, I was getting home around 11pm on Sunday night and forgot I had them and when I opened my door... BLIND.. they were bright.. but awesome :lol:
A great spot to house the UHF as well, I ran the power cables down the right-hand side pillar and behind the dash and managed to find some space through a little grommet and attached the power to the "Power Outlet" (pictured below) which is very handy! Extending the power from the battery side to the drivers side with 3 terminals B+, Acc+, IGN+.
Screen Shot 2012-10-22 at 1.44.59 PM.png
The cables that came with the console are great, simple plug and play but would advise taping up allllllllll the wires and then securing them to the inside of the console to stop rattling wires next to your heads when driving, something i'll have to do next weekend... Other than that, an easy job and very worth while!
Brades
--------------------------------------------------------------
2010 76 LandCruiser GXL Build-Up:
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=136912
YouTube - 76 Series Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/BradesR31

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » October 22nd, 2012, 2:19 pm

Next up came the lights...well.. the second pair; I've always liked seeing where I'm going and I do a lot of beach fishing and highway travel to get there and 90% at night.. I had the same setup on the Lux and loved the light output and visibility I achieved.
Screen Shot 2012-11-19 at 3.49.06 PM.png
1x Pair Lightforce 170 Strikers to join the XGTs already on the bar.
Screen Shot 2012-11-19 at 3.49.41 PM.png
To wire the lights I used genuine Lightforce wiring looms and separate switches to join them to the factory high-beam loom, a reasonably easy DIY job until you have to splice the High-Beam cable.. I have big hands and to get behind the air-box without removing it proved to be a mission... None the less, the lights are connected, working and all wires have been conduited. Now to find some time at night on a long stretch of road to focus them. I plan to use the XGTs as long range beams and the 170s to fill in the gaps between 50m-100m and works great, if I can get a video of on and off I'll post it up.
Last edited by Brades on November 19th, 2012, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brades

HDJ78R
Need to get out more

Unread post by HDJ78R » October 22nd, 2012, 8:55 pm

Haha, looking good mate those lights. Are you gonna put more lights on the roof? lol
No-one gets left behind.

[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/oncedisturbed/21071285431am_a6cbf.png[/img]

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » October 22nd, 2012, 10:25 pm

Haha yea it's pretty full on hey!

Nar these lights are perfect for what I'm after, considered an LED light bar instead of the 170s but these were cheaper and I've used them before so knew what I was getting. How do you find the roof lights on the 78? Do they reflect off the bonnet much??

Future plans will include a roof rack and will mount a couple of LED floods to the back and sides.
Brades

HDJ78R
Need to get out more

Unread post by HDJ78R » October 22nd, 2012, 11:15 pm

The lights on my roof are awesome, they really turn night to day. I've only get a bit of light on the front of the bonnet, it's not annoying. The sunvisor above the windscreen helps with that though.
No-one gets left behind.

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » October 23rd, 2012, 9:59 am

Awesome!

Got home last night to find a huge package on the veranda.. picked up a BARGAIN... Brand New 170L Long Ranger fuel tank from QLD, $600- from a 4wd shop who had loads of clearance stock.. Tank gets installed in two weeks and will cost me $270 from Duncan at Adelaide Offroad (ARB stockist). (ARB Megastore wanted to charge me $450-)
Screen Shot 2012-10-22 at 1.45.41 PM.png
I recently went to the 4wd Show in Adelaide and ended up having a lengthy chat with Allan (awesome genuine bloke) from Terrain Tamer and started talking about the 76's and 200 series cruisers and some of the basic issues he has seen while working on them, he also mentioned how expensive the injectors are.. He reckons people can pay up to $1100- per injector (genuine Toyota offcourse)... I've saved a lot for this 76 and I'm definitely not made of money and the thought of spending upto $10k on injectors if something ever went wrong and the risk of dirty fuel or contaminants getting into the injectors from the tank through mud driving or water crossings made me ask a question about the standard fuel filters..

Apparently the the standard fuel filters in the 76, 200 and the prado (same engine, give or take a turbo) are "4-micron filters" and aren't part of the workshop manual to check or change at every service or every 20,000kms, but are only changed at the major 120,000kms service or in the case that something goes wrong.. This had me startled at the idea of a huge expense after using my 4wd for what I bought it for! Allan recommended adding a second 'pre-filter' before the stock Toyota one to clean the fuel even more, he said 'even if you don't buy a terrain tamer filter, just do yourself a huge favour and get one'..

So I checked it out... Terrain Tamer offer (for $340-) a fuel management system, which is basically a fuel filter but with a 30-micron filter (as opposed to a 4-micron) and a fuel/water separator built into the unit.. Has anyone had any issues or heard of anything like this before? I would obviously rather pay $340- for peace of mind before ever having to cough up $10k... and will probably get one installed at the same time as the new tank... Thoughts? :purplex:
Brades

ymy-88u
Avid Poster

Unread post by ymy-88u » October 25th, 2012, 5:45 pm

yeah brades,
im adding one as soon as i remember to get on ebay and buy it, the filter has to be capable of the fuel flow for those engines too...ive done some research also youll need 12mm barbs going off the original fuel filter assuming the rest of fuel system is the samehttp://www.ebay.com.au/itm/P902976-K-Ad ... 5aea0bdcef

now that has water seperation "PROPERTIES" same as stock as far as i know, if you want full water seperation you gotta spend more but then it aint a filter either.

my 79 has over 100k on it and when cold has a very loud injector knock when driving like 25% throttle, but lately it has gotten noticable at idle and even when up to temp, ive had no dramas with them playing up etc, im running a stupidly high amount of fuel and pressure from my custom tune ive been tinkering on and also have a billet commonrail block where the fuel regulator used to go... so im putting them under alot of stress.

But whats worse is the fuel filters, im in canberra and only fill up at the truck stops with the high flows so the turn over it is regular but since ive bought my truck ive been doing the fuel filters at 2000kms intervals (every 4-6 weeks) and its dirty, i bought them in a bulk pack off the net so the filters are not even $10 each compared to almost $30 at toyota or supercheap...so id prefer to keep ontop of it, also there is small amounts of water in the bowl too, but what i cant understand going from previous models with the 4.2 direct injection having 2 fuel filters too the 4.5 they removed 1 filter!!
V8 79 Series (175rwkw) & HJ47 W2A intercooled & turbo (75rwkw) both methanol injected

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » October 26th, 2012, 10:34 am

Yea they look good, will definitely check them out, I'd probably look at adding it on top of the stock filter instead of replacing it, giving a fall-back if needed!
The one from Terrain Tamer I was looking at was
http://www.terraintamer.com/en/4wd-prod ... el-manager for $340- Bit of a price difference.

Also, here's some pics of the draw system I installed.

Managed to pick up an ex-display model pretty cheap and had it shipped down to Adelaide for a very reasonable price! Was really quick to install and all I needed to pick up was 4 hooks so I could secure the fridge to the fridge slide. Now have some awesome storage space!
Screen Shot 2012-10-22 at 1.45.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-10-22 at 1.46.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-10-22 at 1.46.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-10-22 at 1.46.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-10-22 at 1.46.45 PM.png
Brades

Return to “Tourers”