New family member, 76 series wagon, Still Kicking

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Re: New family member, 76 series wagon, Still Kicking

Unread post by monkeybucket » August 11th, 2015, 11:37 am

Honestly its not all that much until you put a trailer on. Then I go up to 16L per 100km on the 35s. On the 255s and 285s both 33s I got (fully loaded) no more than 14L per 100km...Not chipped. I do drive like a grandma so anything over 100km/h in 5th gear will chew the juice. I put it down to poor gear ratio selection for the V8.
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

safari truck
Been here a while

Unread post by safari truck » September 1st, 2015, 7:48 pm

Mate... There aren't many other Tojos is like to own apart from my 80...(ahhh... Didn't even like the 80 shape at first...)
But gotta admit I liked the 76 from word go...
And liking what is happening to yours...
Can we paint it up like its made out of huge thick riveted steel plates?
It's look insane...?!? Or is that just me?
Adulthood... its about doing the things you dreamt about as a child...and hurry it up...there is a time limit!

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » September 3rd, 2015, 10:12 pm

A sick paint job like that would be insane...but would I take it bush ever again...I would probably just sit at home polishing it...lol

Re: safari truck
Mate I love the power socket detail on your roof rack...will be looking into something similar in the future. :cool:

On a different note...yet another front bearing on the alternator has pooped itself...under I go again...pull, pop, press refit... :crazy:
Cheers
Chris.

SparkieKev
Been here a while

Unread post by SparkieKev » September 14th, 2015, 11:22 pm

What a PITA that is! Have you tried replacing with ceramic (hybrid) bearings?
Supercharged 6.5L chev diesel GU wagon build thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138695

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 18th, 2015, 10:46 am

Maybe it's time to start exploring ideas for a hi-mount alternator!! A small cut & trim hole in the bonnet maybe, trim it up noice & you might even have people asking about the supercharger... but at least it won't be drowning the alt every time you as much as look at water!! :eek:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » September 22nd, 2015, 1:19 pm

Never heard of ceramic bearings for alternators...would think it would be just as bad considering the front bearing is just a coffee grinder in its position. Just driving down the road in the rain becomes a potential damage factor. Oil, Dust ,Grit, Water all mixed together in a high pressure spray from the tires. Makes me wonder who got the sack over this one...lol

I wonder if anyone has ever moved their alternator? Sounds expensive...but would keep the nastys off it. Gonna take a while to find someone to have a look considering 60% of businesses I look into in WA are just wingin it and taking ya money for little more than a pain in the ass. May have said too much but its definitely a direction that will save me carrying spares all the time. This time all it took was 150kms of wet dirt roads and a couple of water crossings. Why do the things I love always become a pain in the rear end...lol Oh well off I go.
Cheers
Chris.

REEDY1989
Here and there

Unread post by REEDY1989 » November 5th, 2015, 2:41 pm

There is a sealed alternator available...'

http://www.ssautorepairs.com.au/Sealed_Alternator.html

check out the price but!

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » November 6th, 2015, 2:36 pm

i swear glenno from roo systems put a fancy sealed unit into his new cruiser

76Workmate
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 76Workmate » November 8th, 2015, 2:14 am

I just bought a new 76 and this thread has made me depressed. I have a 1hz 80 series with 300,000k's on it that's been around oz twice and done all the hard tracks. Never had a single issue apart from maybe a blown globe or some worn out bushes. I bought the 76 to replace it, thinking they were also indestructible. Maybe I should keep the 80, it's still sitting in the driveway. It's got everything on it. The 76 is still stock as a rock and I was looking forward to spending some money building my ultimate tourer. I'm thinking I should keep it in the bank for repairs.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » November 9th, 2015, 5:00 pm

I would just like to point out that most of the problems that I have had to endure were from poor maintenance before I bought it and a hell of a lot of abuse as it was a 4wd training vehicle for RAC. Since taking over the servicing and leaving the major services to a reputable 4wding company I have had very little to complain about...I can only suggest you don't service your car with Toyota or any RAC backed company. Spend your money on a well known 4wd specific mechanic to maintain your vehicle...Also I would check everything every 5000kms as some parts will self destruct within 1000kms after passing full inspection. If I didn't luv this bloody rig I would have sold it by now...
Good luck with the new build 76workmate...
as for the alternators... 2k is not bad for piece of mind. I just want to see one last a year or two without problems before I make any decisions...

After all...I did this 4 times in a weekend (100m wide crossing while the Murchison river was flooding) and all seems to be still good...except for that bearing but to be expected...
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » November 15th, 2015, 11:36 am

Well the rear left bearing started leaking the other day...thought the axle seal had gone so off to Covs after they had only been repacked 5oookms ago during a major service by a local 4wd mob. Last time I will be getting them to do any mechanical work. :irked:
So I had to do an emergency evening repair as I need to get a trailer around for work every day. I found the bearing were still working but the leak was muddy grease drippin from a damages hub seal...An hour later I have cleaned of all the parts and found the bearing were all pitted and the hub seal has been pressed on wrong, well almost inverted into the hub, causing the lip seal to have come out of the pressing leaving the bearings exposed to any water or mud that I may encounter.
I replaced all my bearing on my own about 45000kms ago and there was nothing wrong with them even after a couple of trips up to Coolcalalaya station and plenty of mud...I go up there this time after getting a so called mechanic to do a job for me and I am up for another catastrophic failure. :whyme:

The culprit...a damaged hub seal...damaged and incorrectly installed...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Chris.

76Workmate
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 76Workmate » November 27th, 2015, 5:20 pm

You don't have much luck! Ha. Can't buy a win!

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » December 1st, 2015, 11:22 pm

Something gives me the feeling luck ain't got much to do with it...

Any ways on another note...Rolled up for a friend down in Manjimup last weekend. The gals were entering the The Blue, err, now green and black Zook in a Perth Offroad promos gig so my young boy and I rolled up with trailer loaded for support...Got to meet a pile of the local offroad racing crowd and watch some crazy skills and right foot mayhem.

All in all a great weekend. The Zook held its own all of day one only to pop a CV on the night run and leave us with 3 wheel drive on the 2nd day of racing...Loz and Helen still managed to take out a stage win with the crippled machine...Great effort for their fist race meet if you ask me.

Base camp for the weekend...
This lil machine had no idea what it was in for...
Pit lane early morning scrutineering...
The morning briefing...
One of the more interesting sticky bits for the lil Zook...
Last edited by monkeybucket on December 3rd, 2015, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » December 2nd, 2015, 5:33 pm

Well after some dramas with the heat treating the guys down the road came through with the new extended A38 Ti axles for MB's rear housing upgrade. Ready and waiting in the shed now. Looking forward to installing them before Xmas.

:rolleyes: :cool: :truck:

Last edited by monkeybucket on December 3rd, 2015, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Chris.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » December 3rd, 2015, 7:36 pm

Looking good mate. I called in at the competition on Saturday; was impressed, particularly with the night event

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Return to “Tourers”