New family member, 76 series wagon, Still Kicking

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Re: New family member, 76 series wagon, Still Kicking

Unread post by monkeybucket » April 13th, 2015, 11:09 pm

Forgot to show yall these...Had em under there for a while now... Couple of 500mm strips of LED lighting, clear silicone, heat shrink wrap and a cheap remote box off ebay and you got under body rock lights/inspection lights.
underbody lights.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » April 14th, 2015, 5:41 pm

Stuck at home once again so I got into the hit list...this time I wanted to squeeze some more space out of the fridge slide unit. Managed to drop the table 40mm and lower to head of the unit 100mm. After a quick measure up on the rig I have a pile more storage/accessibility on top of the fridge slide now.

I was having trouble getting to the side space under the window so I cut out the sides to allow more room for access as well.

Before...

After...

Cheers
Chris.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » April 29th, 2015, 10:57 am

Nice work mate. Looks the goods. You hit the nail on the head where space is paramount in 4x4's. Glad you took to the 255's. I have found they are the best compromise and are awesome offroad. Not often do I need to engage 4x4... (sometimes gets boring) hahaha. You attending the June 2015 Cape York trip? :-D

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » May 1st, 2015, 10:50 pm

Yes very happy with the 255s...good on fuel and not as loud as the 285...
As for any big trips...We have pretty much gone through all our savings paying the mortgage lately...Been in between jobs for a couple of months as the Gateway Project is finishing up and 6 months ahead of schedule. Unfortunately the contractor I was with had no work to go on with so most of us have changed employers.
I have a trip planned for 2017...to cross from WA to QLD through the Great central, across the Simpson, through Birdsville and maybe then depending on our funds we may either go to the top (Cape york) or turn back and head over the top through the Gibb to Broom and down the coast back to Perth. The oldest sibling will be in school by then so it will be a juggle.

:truck: :truck: :crazy:
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » May 5th, 2015, 7:53 pm

Was throwing out a pile of rubbish on site today n came across an unpressurized 2.5kg extinguisher amongst the rubble. Still had all the powder in it but now gas so I was able to undo the top and tip it all out. Thinking of putting some pneumatic fittings in place of the valve set on the top and couple it up with the ARB compressor.

Anyone had a go at this? Would like to see how you went about it and how it performed.
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » May 11th, 2015, 10:46 pm

Well I got on the blower to my steel magicians today...They say the new A38 Ti rear axles are now getting hardened as we speak and the housing, which has been put on the backburner for a while, should be ready for install by next weekend. Fingers crossed...There has been a lot of thinking and rethinking going on and we hope this is going to be the strongest and best result.

Now to go organize the 50mm brake line extensions and 45mm hand brake extensions...A full seal kit may be a good idea too. the bearings only have 30thou on them with no play so will clean them up and repack into the new housing.

Will be the last upgrade for a long time...now to get some epic trips planned. :thumb: :truck: :truck:
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » May 30th, 2015, 12:42 am

Still waiting for the damn Axles...The heat treaters are wanting to put it through as a batch so we gotta wait.

Got into the shed for a few hours earlier this week...Managed to find enough left over ply to knock up some draws for MB. I also installed the modified fridge slide on the other side. Here are a few pics of how it stores now.

Can open the left draw with large barn door closed to access chainsaw and recovery gear. Got sick of having to open both to get to it.

Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » June 3rd, 2015, 12:41 pm

Finally got down to check out the widened and strengthened axle housing upgrade for the back of the 76. Looks good.

20mm thick tube machined, cut and pressed and pinned 50mm into the existing housing with tensile webbing fitted under the unit. Just gotta get. a piece of paper sorted for the mod. 580bucks for an engineers cert is just piece of mind. No way this bugger is gonna fail under normal touring. Axles are still at the hardeners... :crazy:

Cheers
Chris.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 3rd, 2015, 3:40 pm

Sounds & looks like it's gonna do the job!! :thumb: When's fitting happening?
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » June 4th, 2015, 1:41 am

Well Peter...the axles have been holding us up. The mob that do the hardening want to put a batch through rather than just this order so it is out of our hands for the moment. I still have to get the Engineer to sign off the job...bleeding paperwork. No rush though.

:truck: :truck: :cool:

On the other side of things...tried something a little different with the shovel and jack mounts. cut some guts out of them and turned the kit on its head...Makes for a lower profile assembly.

Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » July 7th, 2015, 9:16 pm

Got out with some SWAT crew on the weekend...Missy, HDJ and JBBunno among the crew. An illusive trail was our destination. Goat road sure does throw you something a little different...not for the faint hearted. I also got to try out my new set of Bighorns...315/75/16 on 100 series steel rims... :twisted:

Some pics taken by the crew... never seen my rig in such glory. :drool:

Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » August 5th, 2015, 9:16 pm

So I coated the Silver 100 series steelies in Black and headed bush last weekend. Bit of water n mud for a couple of us Downsouth 4wd club members. Coolcalalaya station in our sights.

Cheers
Chris.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » August 7th, 2015, 8:28 pm

Loving the axle mod. Best thing that could have been done. Will drive so much better as well. I noticed a massive difference with only 35mm adapters on.

Agree that 35" tyres really set the 76 off. Really suits it.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » August 10th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Yeah mate thanks...I still have the 255s. I just got a set of Bighorns cheap and wanted to try them out. Such a different feel. Much smoother to roll on off road. Bit heavier though with a bit of rub up front on 2inches of lift. Will be putting the 33s back on for touring longer distances. Better fuel economy.
Cheers
Chris.

surfie19
Here and there

Unread post by surfie19 » August 11th, 2015, 10:32 am

how much difference did you notice in economy with the tyre change?
unsure if i want to go from 265/75/16 to 285/75/16 next time..

Return to “Tourers”