New family member, 76 series wagon, Still Kicking

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Re: New family member, 76 series wagon, Still Kicking

Unread post by monkeybucket » February 2nd, 2015, 5:54 pm

Sooo...I just dropped the ol 76 Diff housing off with a diff builder...$1500...engineered, widened by 90mm, strengthened with new lengthened billet axles...seeing as Tru Track wont sell me a set of theirs. :urgh:

3 weeks till we see what the finished product is like. :woohoo:

Very excited.
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

fergus 80
Here and there

Unread post by fergus 80 » February 3rd, 2015, 8:25 am

Gday bloke, theres a crowd in vic in geelong called multi drive that do the conversion, fully engineered and a tab cheaper i think. keen to see how you get on with it
HZJ 80 No turbo and lack of lockers

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » February 3rd, 2015, 9:17 pm

I"m in Perth WA... The multidrive mob do the Tru Track for $3900 un installed ...just the kit...and its just a bolt on...pretty sure they are the mob that wont sell me the axles unless I buy the kit. Already looked into all the alternatives...105 diff housings, trutracker...etc...this is the cheapest and strongest solution. Although the axles need to be made up if I break one, I'm not building a race car, so I don't see a breakage any time soon...lol
Cheers
Chris.

fergus 80
Here and there

Unread post by fergus 80 » February 4th, 2015, 6:44 am

Yeah right, i got talking with one of the owners and was only in protyotype stage and it was way less then that, must of got cocky with the money side. keen to see how much better the track fixes the ride on the sand
HZJ 80 No turbo and lack of lockers

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » February 4th, 2015, 11:13 am

Awesome stuff, look forward to seeing and hearing about the diff when its back in.

What are you going to do in regards to the rear tyres protruding out the guard so much more now?

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » February 4th, 2015, 7:56 pm

Yeah I am hanging to get it in...Selling the Adapters and old axles with the Updated 76stock housing should almost pay for the job.

I have the ADR approved adapters on at the moment and the 45mm rubber flares (Bushranger) seem to cover the problem pretty well. Not looking at a fat tire. I am in the process of cleaning up some 7inch Gecko rims to put the 255/85/16 Km2s on. They should sit taller than they are on the the splitties. Was thinking about putting aftermarket fibro/plastic flares on the back but then I would most likely bust em. :crazy:

You can see the clearance in this pic I put up previously with the 255s on 38mm adapters...only going to be another 7mm further out.

Cheers
Chris.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » February 10th, 2015, 8:28 pm

Very nice addition to the rig mate. Will really solve the issue for good, and no bias vehicle inspections. Not a bad price either. About the same to get a custom 9" diff for a street car.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » February 10th, 2015, 10:03 pm

Yeah they are a break away from a custom street shop. They used to be in the same unit but found it better to get their own shop and run as a separate service. Up to know they have had no returns or problems with any of their work...we are working through the job together and they are not shy to let you know about every stage of the process.

I will be pulling the axles out on evry service just to check on them for the first 20,000kms but hope it all falls together with as little teething as possible.
Cheers
Chris.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » February 11th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Cool, yea that's not going to be a drama then.

I've thought about going to a set of 255's when I'm due for tyres next. Easier to fit in the guards and might be a tad better of fuel with a narrower footprint.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » February 11th, 2015, 10:17 pm

I was following some 105 series monsters in the dunes last weekend with their 35s and mass lifts...Managed all the same lines. They are awesome in the sand...will know on the turn of the season how they fair on the slippery stuff.
At least you get the extra clearance of a 33 inch tire with the rolling resistance of a splitty.
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » March 10th, 2015, 6:25 pm

Went for a spin out with Nahnah and his GU up the coast to Black point . I have the 7 inch steel rims matched to the 255/85/16 KM2s now and they luvd every minute.

This is the route we took from Augusta... Approx 90kms of Sand tracks...4wd only...Average speed was 15km/h.
Black point Augusta to Pemberton.jpg
This is us at Stepping stones...one of the points of interest on Black point in D'Entrecasteaux National Park.
20150307_113247 Small.jpg
Sandy tracks that will take you a full day to explore or perfect for an over night stay...

More info on the area Here: http://parkstay.dpaw.wa.gov.au/camp-fin ... int/165/en

:drink:

As for the diff build...No more updates as yet...will go see them tomorrow to check out the progress... might even get a pic or two if I'm lucky. :truck: :truck:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Chris.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » March 11th, 2015, 8:27 am

Nice spots down there isn't it! Seriously slow tracks though.

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » March 11th, 2015, 11:44 am

Yeah it is pretty slow and wonky...best bet is to fill up your shake n bake pancake mix before you go...it will be well shaken by the time you get there...lol... the rigs were rolling like a boat on the high seas. :crazy:
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » March 16th, 2015, 10:01 pm

Took mini me out rolling in the bush last week while waiting for a start with a new employer. I guess he had fun. :D
Mundaring Run01.jpg
Mundaring run 02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » March 22nd, 2015, 2:13 pm

So I have have a slight vibration from the wheels but could not balance them out right ...so I had a close look at how well they have been mounted...looks like the aftermarket rims (Gecko) have a larger hub size to the Toyota hubs and are not centering properly. I am sure in time this will lead to premature tire wear or even bearing and drive line problems.

So... I found these... Hub Centric spacers...which make up the space in between the hubs and aftermarket rims for a snug fit which centers the rims perfectly.
20150322_120017.jpg
Hope they do the trick. Now I just gotta slip em on.
Cheers
Chris.

Return to “Tourers”