New family member, 76 series wagon, Still Kicking

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Re: New family member, 76 series wagon, Still Kicking

Unread post by monkeybucket » October 10th, 2014, 8:32 pm

They look great...I know a fella with similar rims and tires on his HDJ troopy. He also agrees with the size match. They were also on my list of tires to try until mech troubles and another ankle biter came into the mix...lol

Am keen to hear how those cheaper BFGs go. I "hear" they have thinner side walls and different rubber. Still haven't heard any bad stuff from any recent buys though. Hope they do the job. I never had any trouble with the KM2 though the old T/A would fail if run at low pressures for long periods. The side wall would turn to jelly. Had no trouble with the KM2 though.

Enjoy the new boots...I am hell keen to see what these Interco Narrow TSLs are like. Most likely will get em in time for Christmas.
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » October 10th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Maybe so mate, but still made in the USA and so far have not had any issues. I am wanting to do a weekend trip to Barrington Tops to chill out a little and take the rig for a bit of a play. Have not done much 4x4 lately, rather a lot of road travel (10,000klms in 3 months). I have been so busy lately yet so bored as I have not been doing anything fun/social with groups or friends, just travelling and administration with new property purchase etc and relocating. I cannot wait to settle in and have some fun weekends again.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » October 10th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Good luck with the new home...Hope you enjoy the toad swatting...Was born in QLD not much has changed since I lived in Brissy as a kid, it has a big bridge now and someone forgot to drain the Dam causing some problems of late...lol

Safe travels mate and hope you get some more time out on the trails...Sometimes life just gets in the way of the good stuff eh. Don't I know it.
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » November 23rd, 2014, 7:52 pm

Well I packed MB up and hired a camper from Johnnos and up the coast we went...3800kms under the rig we are now back in Perth.
Just a few pics to tickle your senses...

Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » November 23rd, 2014, 7:54 pm

A couple more from the Pilbara...

Crossing Yardie creek...Cape Range National park

Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » November 24th, 2014, 9:37 pm

So I was going about changing the oil filter and found the assembly a little tight to remove...got the hammer out to give it a little tap and knocked the tab clean off...big hole left in the assemble...Oooops!!! $118 from Toyota and popped on a new one...lesson learned...

Anywayz...got a nice shiny new one under there now...was surprised how little it took to break it... :crazy: Have already broken two assembly tools removing this thing...its only being tightened to just past hand tight... :whyme:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » December 4th, 2014, 11:03 pm

So i have been looking for a good cheap mud terrain tire for the weekends, but I don't want to go get a whole new set of rims as I have sold the rims and fat boots I had been rolling on for a year or so due to a income issue earlier in the year...

I just came across a pile of BFGoodrich KM2. Late last year I looked into them but found them too exxy with most tire dealerships in Perth selling them for more than $450 a corner. Just came across two adds on the net and picked up 4 255/85/16 BFG Mud T/A KM2 boots for less than 320 a corner. Most of the lads and ladies I talk to have had a good run with them and for the price I could hardly go with a cheaper less reliable option.

They arrived now just itching to get them on the rims and test em out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » December 5th, 2014, 11:24 pm

Another ailment fixed...Bent cross member replaced today...can't remember if it was ever straight...I went had a good look at one today when browsing for parts out the back of a wreckers...Ended up grabbing a straight one off an old chassis while I was there...Twas a good 20mm bend in the one under MB... :urgh:

Little by little MB...just like the song... :crazy:

Still waiting to get these tires on. :truck: :truck: :truck:
Cheers
Chris.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » December 27th, 2014, 8:05 pm

monkeybucket wrote:I just came across a pile of BFGoodrich KM2. Late last year I came across two adds on the net and picked up 4 255/85/16 BFG Mud T/A KM2 boots for less than 320 a corner. Most of the lads and ladies I talk to have had a good run with them and for the price I could hardly go with a cheaper less reliable option. They arrived now just itching to get them on the rims and test em out.
Hell yeah!! I have a set and they have been awesome mate. Less drag than the 285's and a tad more sidewall. Really suit the 76 I reckon and I can still tow very well too.

Buy some snake racing 35mm bolt-on adapters to correct the rear track and will be even better again!! I am running 16x8 @ 0 offset with 35mm adapters at the rear and couldn't be happier. I check them every 5000klms with my tyre rotations and never had a problem and use torque wrench like supposed to. Towed 3.2T with them for 3000klms, including 1500kg on rear axle, then 2000klms of corrugations, all with adapters on with not one issue. But mine are the snake racing stainless steel units, not cheap alloy crap. My insurance company accepts them too.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » January 4th, 2015, 12:03 am

Yep I have a set...ADR approved Snake racing gear... billet steel...They have never let me down. I am liking the new treads..Took them out on a night run a couple of weeks ago and at 20psi there was no shortage of grip. They are really quiet on the road which was a surprise. Very happy with them and will be keeping an eye on any more that may be going cheap.
Cheers
Chris.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » January 5th, 2015, 9:41 pm

Well after a few months of abuse by the local traffic I decided to repair the dodgy tail lights I got with the rear bar.

They were all full of mud and only a couple still worked...So much for them being waterproof...lol

I just went with a water proof rectangular pair to flush mount as it was going to be a pain in the ass to flush mount anything new without some annoying mods to the bar.

Here is how they look...I will be removing them again to weld a 30mm shroud around the lights for side protection since they are surface mounted now.

And yes...I broke me lil barn door...rolled back into a tree up in Julimar one day and pushe the spare tire holder into the door... :urgh:

BEFORE: As clean as they look they are full of mud. :crazy:

AFTER:
Cheers
Chris.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » January 7th, 2015, 11:12 am

Good to see your still persisting with it despite all the issues you've encountered. I've often thought about selling my 76 as it doesn't quite suit my requirements anymore, but find myself holding onto it as it'll be such a financial loss to and it hasn't given me any issues in 60k kms of travelling so far.

Never seen anyone mutilate an oil filter housing like that before haha, I've done some pretty unspeakable things to get them off the underground cars at work but am still yet to break on. Did it have the o-ring on it? Can't see one in that pic.

Looks like a decent trip away, I'm heading to Wa and the Nt again in about 6 months time.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » January 10th, 2015, 2:12 pm

Yeah its gonna be a keeper by the time I'm done with it...as for the filter assemble, it was all on right, I just tapped it in the wrong spot...All my doing...lol. Lucky its wasn't to expensive to replace.
Cheers
Chris.

BTFIVO
Been here a while

Unread post by BTFIVO » January 10th, 2015, 9:30 pm

monkeybucket wrote:Yep I have a set...ADR approved Snake racing gear... billet steel...They have never let me down. I am liking the new treads..Took them out on a night run a couple of weeks ago and at 20psi there was no shortage of grip. They are really quiet on the road which was a surprise. Very happy with them and will be keeping an eye on any more that may be going cheap.
Nice work. Love customisation, and those new lights to the rear shall do the job nicely!. Yep, I would have to agree mate, I think I have found the sweet spot with tyre combinations regarding the 255/85/16. All the clearance, less drag and total performance off-road. I have not had to engage 4x4 since putting them on, and that's coming from a former dual-cab ute owner where 4x4 was always needed. I am very impressed and most definitely will be going the same size again next set.

Keep up the great work mate. Love seeing all the mods being done. I am after a set of flares when the bank allows it. Most likely going to go with TJM, about $760 a set fitted. But I would love a rear-bar, and a rear-mount winch. I use my rig a fair bit on the property dragging trees out and other typical jobs. Even did some harrowing, dragged around a planer to flatten about 6 acres. They're a real work horse.!!

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » January 10th, 2015, 11:35 pm

I just use a chain link for dragging trees...LOL

Not my place but a good camp spot
Cheers
Chris.

Return to “Tourers”