Mudsharks project 62 NEW VIDEOS UP

mudshark
Need to get out more

Mudsharks project 62 NEW VIDEOS UP

Unread post by mudshark » February 6th, 2011, 10:59 am

I should have started this thread ages ago but I didn't :cool: Any howz this project started when I went to score some parts for my current 60 ( the budgie ) and as I was looking at what I was I was there to get I realized that this thing was in too good condition to wreck so after some negotiating I swapped a trailer I had sitting around waiting to turn into a camper for this rust free and mostly straight fj62 which was just missing the diffs and carby. I wasn't looking for a project but I got one :crazy: so for the first few months I just pinched bits and peices for the budgie ( steel TJM winchbar - 2" EFS lift - snorkel - alternator just these bits a worth more than the $1600 I paid for the whole thing ) but towards the end of 2010 we decided to do a cape trip in 2011 so that's when I decided to pull my finger out and build the 62 up as a very capable tourer .
Last edited by mudshark on March 14th, 2013, 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1988 FJ62 LIFTED LOCKED AND BARRED UP :) and SO SICK

mudshark
Need to get out more

Re: Mudsharks project 62

Unread post by mudshark » February 6th, 2011, 11:13 am

so where to start
Rust. there's bugger all rust she was rust proofed from new and has got that electronic rust prevention system fitted . I have alway's been a bit sceptickle of that stuff but it seems to have worked a treat because this is the worst rust in the whole thing there is also a tiny 5mm patch near the right rear window but i'll fix that up later.
there's your usual stonechip surface rust but that's nothing I'll fix that when I paint it.
the only other thing I did have to attend to was on the firewall and rightside innerguard where the clutch master cylinder has blown out at some point and they obviously didn't cleanup the fluid so the paint was gone and surface rust in it's place . but that was an easy fix :)
cheers Mark

mudshark
Need to get out more

Unread post by mudshark » February 6th, 2011, 11:36 am

cleanup.
while the diffs are out I thought I might as well get underneath and give her a good cleanup and I'm pretty pleased at how it looks under there it's mostly done now . rather than getting all stressed and trying to do the wole job at once I've just been doing one section at a time like starting in a wheelarch cleanitup (beer) paint (beer) move my seat and tools to the next wheelarch (beer) - you get my drift LOL :drink: so iv'e been all the way around now and it all has one coat of underbody black and I can just whip around with a topcoat after Iv'e got all the bits installed .
it was as I was underneath the car I finally made up my mind to do a bodylift so I could add some strong sliders and not lose ground clearance .
A bit of a tricky job when there's no diffs in the car but I made sure it was safe . I added plenty of body stands and extra chocs under the chassis and strapped it very securely between some strong columns and the budgie.
and she didn't budge at all even though I did the whole job on my own.
cheers Mark

mudshark
Need to get out more

Unread post by mudshark » February 6th, 2011, 11:48 am

Interior.
thankfully there's nothing to be done she's almost perfect no tears cracks or broken bit's just a few screw holes from past attatchments . just a bit of a scrub and armourall
It's got a roof mount DVD player not that I care coz it's for the back seat and I'll be upfront lol But I will add a nice stereo and amp and of coarse the UHF later when it's ready for the road.
cheers Mark

mudshark
Need to get out more

Unread post by mudshark » February 6th, 2011, 12:37 pm

but all this stuffs really just fluffing around I have been a bit slow/slack doing what really counts getting it on the ground I got a carby for it from the wreckers of an 80 series 3f and the motor runs fine. I will put a carby kit through it later in the build and I'll need to get another alternator coz I pinched this one for the budgie a while back. So while I was adjusting the fan shroad for the bodylift I checked the waterpump and theres play in the bearing so I've got a brand new one on order from a mate at QLD deisel spares and while I'm at it I'm getting a whole new set of fanbelts - radiator hoses and heater hoses which has got to be done before the cape trip anyway.
YOUR OPINION
I am thinking of taking of that big old motor driven fan and putting on an electric thermofan that I can hook up to a switch in the cab so I can turn it off during water crossings to help save the water being thrown into my electrics . the proper fan is 45cm diam and I have an electric that is 30cm diam would 1 be enough or would I need 2 x 30cm electrics ? AND does anybody have an Idea how to hook em up just hard wired on or do you have to wire in some sort of thermostat activated kick in cut out type of system ?? I have absolutley no clue on this stuff but I want to do as much of the work as I can myself so I know all about it if anything goes wrong while I'm out bush.
cheers Mark

v8lux
Here and there

Unread post by v8lux » February 6th, 2011, 12:59 pm

YOUR OPINION
I am thinking of taking of that big old motor driven fan and putting on an electric thermofan that I can hook up to a switch in the cab so I can turn it off during water crossings to help save the water being thrown into my electrics . the proper fan is 45cm diam and I have an electric that is 30cm diam would 1 be enough or would I need 2 x 30cm electrics ? AND does anybody have an Idea how to hook em up just hard wired on or do you have to wire in some sort of thermostat activated kick in cut out type of system ?? I have absolutley no clue on this stuff but I want to do as much of the work as I can myself so I know all about it if anything goes wrong while I'm out bush.
cheers Mark[/quote]

If I was you I would look at getting a set of factory fitted fans out of an au ford or vt commodore. the factory one's have shrouds and they work heaps better that the single one's.

mudshark
Need to get out more

Unread post by mudshark » February 6th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Diffs.
this is the actual important job that needs doing I have the diffs and am going to replace everything brand new bearings seals steering hub kit tie rod ends uni joints and full suspension but I keep stalling buying the bits you see I can get them from ebay pretty damn cheap and they promise all japanese bearings no chinese but each section has a kit but no acurate list of what's available and having not done this before I'm not sure of exactly everything I need :confused:
I should just go to a reputable part dealer like opposite lock and let them get it all for me but that works out a fair bit more expensive. oh what to do. the other problem is the diffs are from diffferent vehicles the front is from a 1989 hj61 and the rear is from a 60 series that's all I know . no idea of year or origin and apparently something changed in 11/84 and the kits are different pre 84 has a solid spacer and post 84 has a collapsable spacer but I don't know what spacer they are talking about so I can confirm what year it is :confused:
anyway that's basically why I've been putting of doing the diffs. I know I'm just being slack .
so all I have done on the diffs is cleanem up a bit in preparation
front diff undercoated in killrust red
my son said to leave it red he reckons it looks ace but i painted it black anyway
it still needs another coat of black that's what I'm going to do thisarvy when I finally get up from this damn computer lol Oh and the back housing is also at the same stage (no pics).
I really need to pull my finger out here coz I bought a brand new ARB air locker of the forum for a good price and it should arrive early next week and I want to put it in the back and then I will try and source an auto locker for the front when the funds are available.
ANY OFFER OF HELP WITH MY DIFF DELEMA WOULD BE REALLY COOL :thumb:
cheers for now
Mark

mudshark
Need to get out more

Unread post by mudshark » February 6th, 2011, 1:08 pm

v8lux wrote:YOUR OPINION
cheers Mark
If I was you I would look at getting a set of factory fitted fans out of an au ford or vt commodore. the factory one's have shrouds and they work heaps better that the single one's.[/quote]
thanks for that v8lux I never thought of that i'll look into the pricing :thumb: cheers Mark
EDIT
I just had a look on fleabay around $230 new or around $50 used I think new would be best for my application
cheer Mark

SamT78
Been here a while

Unread post by SamT78 » February 6th, 2011, 1:48 pm

Hi Mudshark, I am currently doing a very similar project to you- 'SamT78 project 60', so i'll be watching this one closely! Looks good though. Is it petrol?

mudjunkie
Avid Poster

Unread post by mudjunkie » February 6th, 2011, 4:52 pm

Good stuff Budgie. The white (or is it purple) 60's coming along beautifully. Great to see all the work your doing yourself. You are inspiring me mate. Keep up the good work....

smokescreen
Need to get out more

Unread post by smokescreen » February 6th, 2011, 9:31 pm

Cant wait to see the final product mate looks like a awesome truck so far.
2000 GU Patrol TD4.2T ute
2013 GXL 200 Series TTD Diesel Landcruiser
2012 Can Am XMR 800

Red04VXE
Avid Poster

Unread post by Red04VXE » February 6th, 2011, 9:37 pm

Looking good bud, another vote here for EL/AU Fans. They are the best you can get. Just need run decent wiring to deal with the amps they draw on start up.
New Toy, 1982 HJ60 2H 4spd 33's soon to have F&R LockRights and LongFields.

mudshark
Need to get out more

Unread post by mudshark » February 7th, 2011, 8:08 pm

SamT78 wrote:Hi Mudshark, I am currently doing a very similar project to you- 'SamT78 project 60', so i'll be watching this one closely! Looks good though. Is it petrol?
yeah Sam she's a 3f petty I'll go and have a look at yours
cheers Mark

mudshark
Need to get out more

Unread post by mudshark » February 7th, 2011, 8:13 pm

mudjunkie wrote:Good stuff Budgie. The white (or is it purple) 60's coming along beautifully. Great to see all the work your doing yourself. You are inspiring me mate. Keep up the good work....
aww shucks Martin your tooo kind :o but I want to know as much about the car as poss so I can fix it on the side of the track (if need be) but hopefully if everything is as new as poss I won't have to know how to fix anything. does that make any sense to a sain person ?? LOL

mudshark
Need to get out more

Unread post by mudshark » February 7th, 2011, 8:18 pm

smokescreen wrote:Cant wait to see the final product mate looks like a awesome truck so far.
cheers for that smokescreen I'm hoping it turns out pretty awsome :thumb: by the way your avatar is way cool that's not goey is it ? there has never been anyone that can go sideway's aas good as Anthony Gobert :eek: plenty of blokes can do a quicker lap . but not sideway's throwing up a smokscreen LOL :crazy: cheers Mark

Return to “Tourers”