Wet, wet wet...

Dingo55
Getting to know the place

Wet, wet wet...

Unread post by Dingo55 » April 23rd, 2011, 10:42 am

Been back now for a few weeks and regretted turning around. Could have travelled forever till the funds dried up.
We left Vic behind to arrive in Adelaide sweltering. Stayed the night in dismal accommodation and set of early to set camp in Port Augusta, again, stinking hot and very uncomfortable.
The departure and the road North looked promising with staggered cloud cover with dark and threatening thunder clouds on the far horizon. Sometime later things happened that were incredible.
By the time we arrived at Pimba things were looking rather drab. Constant drizzle repeatedly turned into heavy rain. The traveling became exciting, but very dangerous. Flash flooding became the expected with visibility down to mere meters. Caravan convoys slowed things down and the Roadtrains didn't give a *¥€#.
At Erldunda we turned left for the rock. At this time the reports were looking grim. Road closure signs were springing up like Spring wild flowers. The rain buckeded down for the next two weeks with sporadic moments of sun shine.
Needless to say it took seven days to reach the Alice with constant detours back to the blacktop. We made the decision to try to head to the Old Ghan Highway only to find all roads East closed. We were forced to traverse the Bitumen all the way back to Adelaide.
On a lighter note and one that I will take to the dreamtime the most amazing event on the trip happened 60k's North of Coober Pedy. The darkness had enveloped us turning day into night. Lightening stokes all around and intermittent rain drops the size of golf balls. At Pootnoura rest stop we stopped to take some pics and help some travelers who had left there lights on and flattened the battery. During this time the storm was overhead and REALLY threatening. Lightning was prevalent and the thunder deafening. On advice the travelers followed us into Coober Pedy. I have never witnessed dusk so dark. The pressure waves from the lightening and thunder moved the vehicle literally. The two hour trip Coober was, well, you had to be there. For five or six hours that storm chased, and finally caught us dumping three of four inches of rain between Coober and Maree in three hours. I have heard that this may be a record for the area.
Would I do it again, In a heartbeat.
Cheers to all
Dingo55

Harb
Need to get out more

Re: Wet, wet wet...

Unread post by Harb » April 23rd, 2011, 10:45 am

I love those big storm more than anything...... I would drive hundreds of Km's just to be in the middle of them.
You are one lucky bugger !!

Dingo55
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Dingo55 » April 23rd, 2011, 8:37 pm

Giddy Harb,
Thanks for the reply.
I agree that there are many things in life worth traveling for, however I would have preferred to view that storm from a distance. I don't shy away from much but I will admit relief when it passed.
Armed with this knowledge now, I will endeavor to have the cameras and video at the ready when the opportuniy presents again, as I am sure it will.
Maybe next time we won't be traveling silo.
Tread lightly.
Dingo55

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » April 23rd, 2011, 9:30 pm

I have to admit , If I were living in the US, I would be a storm chaser for sure........... for some reason I just love being in the middle of bad storms

Return to “Northern Territory”