Sandy Cape, Interview River and Balfour Town

Sixtys Guy
Part of the furniture

Sandy Cape, Interview River and Balfour Town

Unread post by Sixtys Guy » June 16th, 2012, 11:19 pm

A couple of months ago I did a trip to Sandy Cape, the Interview River and Balfour Town. My mate Evo and I left Launceston on the Friday morning and caught up with my mate Ray in his SWB GQ on our way through Burnie. We headed to Arthur River and picked up our 4wd permits and paid for our camping fees. From here we headed directly to Sandy Cape.

The first night we spent camped at an awesome spot next to the North Pedder River. Saturday morning we checked the lighthouse and a couple of the old shacks.

Would be a rough night in this shack I reckon!

The (infamous) Sandy Cape Hut

Wreckage at the airstrip

After a look around we headed to the Interview and found some interesting items washed up onto the beach.

Evo's sand art

We arrived at the Interview without issue and had lunch.

Looking back at the Cruiser from the Interview

The unstoppable 60.......

After lunch we headed back having a look at some of the dunes on the way. This is where things went a little pear shaped (as they do) and I found that the 60 isn't unstoppable after all...........

As I drove past the base of a large dune the 60 came to an abrupt holt. Quicksand. As soon as I hit it I realised that I was in trouble. Ray had been following me but fortunately was not as stuck as I was.

The water that you can see in these pics was not there before we got stuck. It only came up once we had driven on it. It's fair to say that I was starting to stress at this stage. I thought that I may have lost the Cruiser....... The handle of the shovel holder was broken and I had to get the multigrips onto it - just to get the shovel off the roof racks. This didn't help the stress! Ray arrived with his shovel, but it looked like he had bought along the shovel his kids used to take to the beach.......

Luckily I had bought along my "MarksTracks". Without them I'm not sure that we would have gotten out of there. We used them to get Ray's Patrol out first and then used them again on mine while Ray winched me out (after having trouble getting his winch to work).

After the excitement I firmly shook Ray's hand offered him the remainder of my carton, but he declined. ;)

By the time we got back to the camp site it was just on sunset.

The next day we packed up and headed for Balfour Town. We stopped and had a look at the Balfour Pub. The pub has expanded quite a bit since I was there early last year.

After that we checked out the old grave yard.

On the way back through the owners of the pub had returned and were having a beer. We stopped and talked to them for a while before heading back to civilisation. All in all it was a great trip. The weather was perfect the whole time we were there!
AKA Mark.
HJ60-Lock Rights, OME springs, 5125 Bilsteins, 2" BL, 33 FCII, Longfields, 4.56 gears, Ironman winch, custom sliders.
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17712
1976 FJ55 - Stocko, except for Bilstein Shocks & power steering
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55716&hilit=fj55
1975 FJ55 - Unregistered project!

Foo
Need to get out more

Re: Sandy Cape, Interview River and Balfour Town

Unread post by Foo » January 10th, 2013, 7:20 am

Quicksand = nasty surprise. :eek:

I must try and get down there and see the place. Also have some of those scollop pies I hear so much about, before I drop dead. :D

Foo

pickle
Admin

Unread post by pickle » January 10th, 2013, 7:28 am

Just love Tassie. Thanks for the report.
Dave
2001 Challenger with bits and peices of goodness.
And of course 'Pajeropoint' for the Mitsu fans.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/306179409472332/

Palmer
Here and there

Unread post by Palmer » January 31st, 2013, 2:13 pm

Great trip. Definately got me adding it to my "To Do" list

Although the quick sand looks to be a bit of a worry

Shadaxx
Here and there

Unread post by Shadaxx » March 3rd, 2013, 8:16 am

Looks like you had a ripper time.

Just curious, did you start at the south end of Sandy cape and make your way north to Balfour?

Sixtys Guy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sixtys Guy » March 3rd, 2013, 8:56 am

We didn't take the Balfour Track... from Sandy Cape we drove North to Temma and drove in through the Western Explorer Road. You can take the Balfour Track, but I don't go much on it. It's over ratedd for what it is. It isn't hard and it is full of bonnet deep silty water holes that gets into starter motors and alternators etc.
AKA Mark.
HJ60-Lock Rights, OME springs, 5125 Bilsteins, 2" BL, 33 FCII, Longfields, 4.56 gears, Ironman winch, custom sliders.
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17712
1976 FJ55 - Stocko, except for Bilstein Shocks & power steering
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55716&hilit=fj55
1975 FJ55 - Unregistered project!

Return to “Tasmania”