This is why tracks get gated!

nickonaldo
Here and there

This is why tracks get gated!

Unread post by nickonaldo » March 20th, 2012, 8:10 am

Had the day off yesterday 19/3/2012 took a ride up to Jefferies track.
Have been going over this track on and off for about 25 years either on dirt bikes or four wheel drive!
What was once a nice easy track which took you from Lachlan to Crab Tree and used by Bush Walkers, Horse riders, trail bike riders, quad bikes and 4wd's has been turned into a 6'lift with 35' muddies only!
I appreciate people wish to have a play, but to destroy a track like this may result in its closure.
Have we not learnt anything from the closure of South Port?
If the fire department ever had to use this track God help us!
To add insult to injury the amount of rubbish dumped along the track is a disgrace.
Come on surely we are better than this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not stuck just not moving!

pupsky
Part of the furniture

Re: This is why tracks get gated!

Unread post by pupsky » March 20th, 2012, 8:21 am

NOt true I could get through there on my 33s ,

I don't think they destroyed it intentionally its just what happens when you mix rain , dirt and spinning tyres ,

nickonaldo
Here and there

Unread post by nickonaldo » March 20th, 2012, 9:19 am

Have travelled this track in sunshine, rain
and snow and have never seen it this bad.
It looks like it has been delibrately dug up and turned into a play hole.
First time up here in about 18 months got a real shock.
Only got 21' tyre on my dirt bike and 22' tyres on my quad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pupsky
Part of the furniture

Unread post by pupsky » March 21st, 2012, 4:42 am

Yeah I know what your saying it it happens from a puddle of water and guys keep driving through it get stuck and have to dig there way out with there tyres and the next person goes through makes it deeper and so on we don't deliberately make them the size they are but we do deliberately drive through them ,

IT's not real good destroying tracks like this cause normal 4wds have no chance and holes become dangerous ,

But this is nothing compared to glasshouse was once a normal forestry tracks now its a hardcore 4wd forestry its pretty awesome but not much else can drive through ,

nickonaldo
Here and there

Unread post by nickonaldo » March 21st, 2012, 7:35 am

Sad to hear that it has happened to glass house as well.
Over the years here in Tassie have seen gates go up and tracks closed.
Was a track down southern forest took you out to the Eddie Rapids, excellent track.
Over the years I watched it get boggier, mud holes got deeper, even went down one day and saw a bloke with a chainsaw cutting a new track in around the worst bog hole.
Next time I went down Forestry had dug some huge holes, droped some big rocks around and placed a nice new shiny gate!
Even the track out at Tim Shea has been closed and requires a key.
Really hope this doesnt happen to Jeffries
concerned a government desk jockey might decide to do a track assessment in a stock standard government Colorado,Ranger or similiar,
find he cant get through so with the stroke of a pen he orders track maintanence and a new shiny gate!

jassaunders
Getting to know the place

Unread post by jassaunders » March 26th, 2012, 7:06 pm

i just hope that when people see this happen they make a second track for fire fighters to go around incase they need to. i havent seen many tracks that havent got a "chicken" track. things also change over time so some tracks that wernt very used become over used especially when people from city's that dont have much common sense on why the tracks are here in the first place decide that they want a bog hole instead of a track heading to a camp site or a good view. its sort of sad in a way that good tracks are being listed but bog holes arnt alot of people do go and make there fourbys only to test them out on the muddiest piece of track they can find and if there isnt any where they know of they will make there own. i hope that one day the idiots will be in there own class where real 4wders arnt blamed for there destructive habits and that we have places for them to play for example some where where mud runs are held or we make some bog holes aloud for there use.
i am from tassie and lived here my hole life i am only 23 but i know that driving up a super muddy hill climb spinning the wheels flat out is fun but i only do it at places where i know that you can get up another way or it wont stop fire fighters.

TazMAV
Avid Poster

Unread post by TazMAV » March 28th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Have been a user of Jeffries for many years 30 or so I have seen it much worse than it is now, it's actually buggered in 1 spot and that has been that way for years but it has gotten much worse since the supposed track works that removed a culvert pipe that was there for many years. A couple of us went out to look at the problem a while back and found the biggest problem is water is now forced onto the track and into a couple of hole that have now got bigger as more power is needed to get through and unfortunatly that's the way it will stay until and excavator goes in and fixes the problem. Some blokes from Tassie4WD have already dumped several loads of rock into those holes but as they are always full of water and in yellow bottomless clay they push down and disappear in the clay. Parks and Norske Skog recently wasted alot of money on that track but failed to inform users of their intentions of making a hard pad so as fire vehicles could drive the track in case of emergencies. A simple sign could have saved alot of $$$. 99% of the track is fine but those 200m needs attention.

in4rhvn
Been here a while

Unread post by in4rhvn » July 3rd, 2012, 1:06 pm

I go through jefferies as much as possible and i make it through their on 31 ats untill i got my 33s
1986 ln65 single cab
comp tray
bar work
sliders
v6 buick 5 speed
new paint
ruf
ifs rears
12-14 bilsteins
shocks hoops
inverted rears
high steer
35 extreams

ERASER
Need to get out more

Unread post by ERASER » July 3rd, 2012, 5:03 pm

Its a rutted out road, no biggie. Its probably had no maintance in the 25 years youve been driving it so what would you expect it to look like? It sort of defeats the purpose of 4wding if were only going to drive on well maintained roads, doesnt it......

Also now thats its been pointed out and posted on here im guessing youve done the greenies that troll this site a favour as they now know where to put the next gate............
my lux is only good for driving through puddles and i dont know anything.........
My Hilux

nickonaldo
Here and there

Unread post by nickonaldo » July 9th, 2012, 9:55 am

Over the years Jefferries Track has been maintained by both Parks and Norske Skog to allow access for Fire Trucks!
I have a four wheel drive so I can reach areas I want to go to or need to get to.
From the Derwent valley to Huonville, Jeffries track is a bit over half an hour.
Drive it by highway through Hobart, southern outlet in traffic and it takes a hell of alot longer.
If they do gate it (and I hope they dont) we as a 4wd community only have ourselves to blame as this damage wasnt caused by Bush walkers, Horse riders, trail bikes or quads.

in4rhvn
Been here a while

Unread post by in4rhvn » July 9th, 2012, 10:10 am

Hope they dont close the track you will allways get wankers who wreck the tracks. But that is part of life and cant change unless they reliese.
1986 ln65 single cab
comp tray
bar work
sliders
v6 buick 5 speed
new paint
ruf
ifs rears
12-14 bilsteins
shocks hoops
inverted rears
high steer
35 extreams

crankycruiser
Need to get out more

Unread post by crankycruiser » October 14th, 2012, 5:40 pm

This happens due to them shutting places like southport down which then concentrates the pressure to other areas. When the port was open there was no way I would bother with Jefferys, but these days there isnt many other options!

Its no wonder I left the locked gate state.

stlthchmbo
Here and there

Unread post by stlthchmbo » December 4th, 2012, 8:06 pm

Thought I'd put my 2 cents in. I know what you guys mean about these fire tracks being slogged out by idiots, I've seen some (plus forestry roads). But I guess its just the times that have changed in the whole 4wd scene. Bigger tyres seem to be the main goal in most peoples minds now. 33" tyres seem to be the minimum now. Just as 17" mags on a cars used to be huge when I was a teenager. Now 20" seem to be on everything, even from factory :eek: . I just got back from a trip down the west coast and was surprised with some of the tracks. At least they have "chicken" tracks on some of them. I run 33" tyres on my bus. The other buses I came across down there had at least 35"s. Its just the way it is now and you have those guys wanting to use/play some were. And (getting to my point) I think Tassie needs more "dedicated" tracks to accomadate for the serious 4wders. Just as there is 4wd parks on the main land, there needs to be more here. So maybe we need to start asking a local MP's to do something about it, instead of putting up those yellow gates we're so used to seeing?

Josh.
-'84 HJ60, 2h Turbo Desiel, 2" Lift, 1" BL, 3" s/s exhaust, 33" MTZ's
-97 landrover Dicovery !!!SOLD!!! Fuel consumption not worth it!!!

Return to “Tasmania”