Best Maps for West Tassie - recommendations? Tracks?

shellye
I'm new, be nice!

Best Maps for West Tassie - recommendations? Tracks?

Unread post by shellye » January 18th, 2012, 1:25 pm

Hi All

We are planning a trip down west coast of tassie and notice that there is no rooftop maps for tassie. Does anyone recommend the next best thing to rooftops?

Any recommendations on fav tracks?

ta

craig

tomo21
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Best Maps for West Tassie - recommendations? Tracks?

Unread post by tomo21 » January 24th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Hi Craig,
We have just returned from a week down at Tassie that included the west coast. We went with Peter Redman from Tassie Tag A Long tours, great guy with heaps of knowledge and fun. We spent a night down at Sandy Cape with plenty of sand tracks before tackling the Balfour track and spent a night at Corina. On the third day we hit the Ring River track just out of Zeehan before heading to the Montazema Falls. The place is full of great 4wd tracks and while there is still plenty of water around the tracks are probably at their best at the moment. It is suggested that the Balfour and the Ring River should not be tackled solo. The end of the Ring River has a small creek crossing with a large bank that we had to winch up. Much easier with a second car to help. You can buy a book full of 4wd maps for Tasmania on the spirit of tasmania if you are travelling that way.

Enjoy your trip.

Brent.

tomo21
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by tomo21 » January 24th, 2012, 3:58 pm

IMG_1192.JPG
IMG_1229.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shellye
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by shellye » January 31st, 2012, 2:00 pm

Thats brilliant Brent...thanks for all the info. I will have a look into the tracks you did. What maps did you use? We usually use rooftop maps but for some reason they dont do tassie.

TazMAV
Avid Poster

Unread post by TazMAV » March 28th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Grab a book called Offroading Tasmania by Chris Bowden and that will have all the details you will need for most of the tracks here in Tassie.
http://www.roving.com.au/

Return to “Tasmania”