Trip, problem; bucks, problem; flight, problem; blog!

chosen
Been here a while

Trip, problem; bucks, problem; flight, problem; blog!

Unread post by chosen » January 16th, 2014, 10:00 am

OK, well my wife and I had been planning our epic holidays for months...

We wanted to go from Mt Gambier, SA (Limestone Coast) to Hindmarsh Island, Coorong, Adelaide, Flinders Ranges, Port Lincoln (for fishing) then back to Adelaide... Fly across to Sydney, then back to Adelaide and home to Mt Gambier via Robe...

What actually happened...

We spent the week prior working really hard finishing construction of our prototype camper. Needing to be in Adelaide for a bucks day the following morning we left Mt Gambier on Friday night at 9:30pm for what is normally a 4.5 hour drive... thing is on the way there were some bush fires so - at Tintinara there was a detour with an officer who asked us "how much fuel do you have in your tank"... we responded "heaps", so we were sent to follow the signs on what turned out to be a 1.5 hour detour all the way down to the Coorong and back through Meningie - we didn't get to Adelaide until 3:30am!

Next day - paintballing early in the morning, where I somehow managed to get struck at close range right behind my ear in the soft tissue... OUCH!!! And yes, I couldn't hear very well for the rest of the Bucks.

Christmas - noticed that the car was overheating travelling up the free-way, this had never happened before and I knew what had caused it. You see, prior to leaving on our trip I had decided to do some preventative maintenance on the Hilux (LN106r Turbo 2.8 Diesel). I had replaced the original Toyota Genuine radiator for what a local business had said was a quality after market one - they were wrong, and the cooling capacity of this new, thinner radiator was unable to handle the hills - CRAP!

Once arriving at my Sister's place for Christmas I parked on a hill - when I slightly I opened the canopy side door up to get something out, I fell forward placing all my weight on the door and jamming my fingers to which I pulled out and hit the door hard in frustration... well this caused the window in it to smash didn't it!!!

Nieces wedding was a lovely a few days after Christmas, I was the M.C. and it went well. The wedding was nice and the Reception a true celebration.

I took out the boat a couple of days after the wedding heading for the Coorong... mistake! Apart from New Years Eve being very busy on the water, the 40H.P. Mercury outboard blew up. A bearing shattered in the power-head and destroyed the housing, pistons, etc. and sadly no parts available as of mid 2013 so $6,500 quoted for a new outboard and no more trip up to Port Lincoln, Robe, etc.. Oh, and due to all the pre wedding stuff we had ran out of time to spend a few days up in the Flinders Rangers too so no camping so far :(

Next day I caught up with some friends and went to a Goolwa pub for lunch - turns out I got food poisoning from a chicken schnitzel with mushroom sauce - took several days to recover so no camping to be had before our flight out to Sydney.

Flew out to Sydney and our good friends who we were staying with had a very full on medical emergency while we were there, can't say what is was, but it pretty much changed everything.

Got back to Adelaide, trying to source a suitable replacement radiator and find I need to spend upwards of $900 for a heavy duty re-core or a new Toyota Genuine.

Trip back to the mount had to go around 40kph up the slightest hill, or max 80kph on the flat whilst towing the boat, with the HEATER on during a 38 deg. day to keep the Lux from overheating... took all day to make it back!

Now have had the Hilux and the boat both booked in for repairs - a Kangaroo jumped into the side of the Hilux door causing a fair bit of panel damage!

Sooooooo... a very expensive, stressful and tiring trip, but my wife and I are still together strong, can still laugh and know that somehow it will all work out.

Hoping to find a second hand outboard or even a replacement powerhead for the 40h.p. Merc. before the summer is over, but they are pretty pricey.

Hoping to get our Hilux back from the repairers on Friday so we can take one last stab at camping before I go back to work next week.

Some photos of the camper to aid in your understanding; thanks for reading!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
See my hilux build: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=119221

The Missus
Avid Poster

Re: Trip - problem, bucks, problem, flight, problem blog

Unread post by The Missus » January 16th, 2014, 12:11 pm

You'll never forget this trip :)
Adventure before dementia!

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Re: Trip, problem; bucks, problem; flight, problem; blog!

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » January 16th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Sounds like it didn't go too well at all! Bad luck mate.

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

chosen
Been here a while

Unread post by chosen » January 16th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Thanks guys... at least today I got to go snorkelling down the coast with a mate! The weather is hot and perfect for being in the cold southern ocean!

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » January 16th, 2014, 6:56 pm

Nice mate. See much? Nothing better than snorkelling!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

chosen
Been here a while

Unread post by chosen » January 16th, 2014, 7:03 pm

Yeah Aaron,
We got to see a heap of crayfish, although we just couldn't reach the buggers as the current near the rocks made diving and holding position to grab very difficult. Also saw a great variety of reef fish, some stingray, crabs and some lovely formations caused by calcium/lime coming through from fresh water outlets.

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » January 16th, 2014, 7:31 pm

Camper looks awesome
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

chosen
Been here a while

Unread post by chosen » January 16th, 2014, 8:39 pm

Thanks for that Stretch4x4, some more photos of how we hold the 30 sec tent on the side. Also the solid welded detail of the aluminium camper base...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » January 16th, 2014, 8:54 pm

Neat. Very jealous, got ideas rattling around in my head for something a bit similar for mine.
One day..
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

Return to “South Australia”