Border Track July 13 / 14, 2013

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Border Track July 13 / 14, 2013

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » July 17th, 2013, 7:27 pm

Just a quick TR about the trip last weekend down the Border Track form Pinnaroo.

7 vehicles, they'd had a fair amount of rain in the lead up, and a sprinking all day Saturday down to Red Bluff for a camp.
Some mud and water up the top end between the hwy and Nickolls Rd shortcut, after that, just a few slippery parts, esp as we entered Scorpion Park property.
P7133688.jpg
P7133691.jpg
P7133698.jpg
The sand was excellent driving, dawdled up hills that normally need more airing down, pedal, and momentum.
Only the one dodgy looking hole after Mt Shuagh track, which we went around.
P7133699.jpg
P7133701.jpg
Put up a few tents at RB camp to mark our posi, and went 5k south to the big sand hill, and this was by far the best sand for a bit of fun, aired down some more, but made all the tracks with relative ease, unlike previous trips in the dry :)

There'd been a good dump of rain overnight.
Sunday, we drove Red Bluff track over the Murrayville track, following the parallel track just north of the fence track.
Nice driving, but increasing soft secions of water covered track in the dips, some mud, nothing too bad though.

Murrayville Track lived up to its reputation for being pretty bad after rain.
We took it easy as possible, with just a little deviation to straight driving at times :) and we only had to get to Chinamans Well Track (12km).
Had a quick play at the sandhill just before the turn off, got higher than ever before until we hit deep ruts near the top.

Chinamans was really good driving.
Was worried it might be like Milmed Rock Tk near the bottom, but there was only a few slippery parts nearing the end towards Pella Tk.

Up Pella Tk to Purra Tk, went around the top of Lake Albacutya, aired up at The Weeping Gum, then decided to take the nice looking (on the map) track down the east side to come out at Albacutya siding and the blacktop.

This was as muddy as Murrayville Tk, but no major probs with a bit of slip sliding away :)

Was a long day, 0930 left camp until 1045 by the time I hit home.
The tracks were a heap of fun, but I know my fave time to do the tracks through Ngarkat, Big Desert, Wyperfeld is definitely in April !! :D

The hot wash bay was an absoloute mess after the first go, and with $10 of gold coin, I reckon I got 70% off.
A good go underneath now with a scraper when dry, then another pressure clean I reckon should do it, there's mud in every nook and cranny, and it's like reinforced concrete with the clay, mud, and sand !! :crazy:

More pics below . . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Re: Border Track July 13 / 14, 2013

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » July 17th, 2013, 7:31 pm

Pics onto the Red Bluff Tk . . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » July 17th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Ha, all the pics are in reverse to how they've been posted . . .

blackharley
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by blackharley » July 18th, 2013, 1:01 pm

Thanks for your pictures and road report , i havent done the Border Track yet , do you get many bush pin stripes on it , or is it wide ????
Cheers Steve

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » July 18th, 2013, 7:00 pm

G'day Steve,

Pretty right on the section in this report if you pay attention on the track, and if not going east into the Vic parks as we did, definitely exit SW on the Pine Hill North Road to Bordertown.
Up to there it's pretty easy to avoid scrub.

The bit past this road junction is marked 'Very narrow section of track' and it is !
I did it my first run when the Ranger had 3000km on the clock, got some nice pinstriping, but was very interesting exiting east to Telopea Downs Rd.

If you do the little return drive to Scorpion Springs, or go in that way to the BT, that is a little tight in places too.

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » September 6th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Awesome mate! Sounds like you guys had about as much fun as we did! Went down in the last weekend of August, the pics looks great! We got some footage of out trip too if you want to re-live it! haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe07jqEu ... CXzZ2P6l7w
Brades
--------------------------------------------------------------
2010 76 LandCruiser GXL Build-Up:
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=136912
YouTube - 76 Series Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/BradesR31
--------------------------------------------------------------

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » September 7th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Ha ha Brades, yeah, glad we wen Red Bluff Tk and out around Lake Alba . . . as bad as Murrayville and Alba tks were wiht that sticky mud, it's got nothing on those mud holes south of Red Bluff camp.

I've done down there only the once one April, and of course it was pretty dry.
Think I'll keep it that way after seeing your video . . . of course with F&R lockers and muddies one day, well that's another story, might have a go then.

Return to “South Australia”