beachport - robe

cebs8507
I'm new, be nice!

beachport - robe

Unread post by cebs8507 » February 8th, 2013, 10:15 pm

This was the first 4wding trip I had ever done and I tell ya my 87 mq patrol swb absolutely loved the soft sand the tight tracks the mud and the dunes. This trip has got me hooked my uncle and myself are already making plans to do the Simpson trip, I have afew things to do to the old girl before shes ready for that trip but if anyone wants a great weekend of 4wding this is definitely the place to go its got its gentle tracks but also the tough tracks it is truly an amazing place 5 stars.
87 mq patrol

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Re: beachport - robe

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » February 13th, 2013, 7:05 pm

Yeah it's easy to get hooked on the beach driving down there.

Have now been through Beachport - Robe 3 times, first trip just the 2 day run, then a 4 dayer Beachport to 28 Mile, and another 4 dayer 42 Mile to Pt Macdonnell (mid winter !)

Edit - Forgot to mention, if you liked that trip, go and do Canunda Nat Pk (Beachport to Carpenter Rocks), another nice 2 or 3 dayer (with side trip to Coola outstation).

Gotta start checking out the west coast next.

cebs8507
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by cebs8507 » January 20th, 2014, 1:07 am

thats the plan start hitting up a bunch of new tracks been hard to get out these days haha
87 mq patrol

gunk
Avid Poster

Unread post by gunk » March 8th, 2014, 2:07 am

Almost a year to reply, hopefully that means you've been getting out a lot rather than spending time on the internet thinking about it.

I've been down there a few times now, definitely one of my favorite places. Here are a few pics from the area.

Beachport, Southend, Canunda, Robe

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 8th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Cebs, if you are planning on doing the Simpson, take a run down the Border Track from Pinaroo down past the end of the one way bit & beyond Red Bluff until you are forced to turn out into either Vic or SA. The dunes aren't exactly the same in more ways than just the colour, but there are some there that are as challenging as the dunes on the main Simpson Tracks! The Border Track is a fantastic run in its own right, but it's pretty good as a warm up & introduction to the Simpson as well! ;)

Oh, and the beach driving down towards the SE, especially along the Coorong & around Beachport & Robe, is always great too; glad you had a good trip, got any pics??
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

simmo27
Here and there

Unread post by simmo27 » April 4th, 2014, 7:20 pm

We had a group of 11trucks for the Adelaide cup long weekend. Two virgins, our third time and one truck on his fifth trip to Robe. Great fun driving thru the dunes from Beachport back to Robe. We did it in the reverse from Nora Creina down to
Beachport and the dunes take on a totally different aspect to the day before. What was easy to drive down now becomes a challenge to drive up. Plenty of different tracks to take to fill in the days always something new around or over each dune. Brought home a few new pinstripes booked in again for next year.

jeremy817086
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by jeremy817086 » June 18th, 2014, 9:39 pm

Definitely have a close look at Robe. Wonderful beaches, 4wd tracks and there is always something for the family to do. There are some magnificent wineries and there is several caravan parks to choose from with great ammenities.

hyperno_1979
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by hyperno_1979 » April 22nd, 2015, 12:20 pm

For those that really like roughing it a bit, the camp ground at Wrights Bay is a good spot too. Roughly 1/2 way between Robe and Kingston it's only 100m off the beach and at $4 a night per car is great value. It has toilets but no showers. I packed up the Minister for War the weekend before easter and spent 4 days there. Didn't do too much exploring as i really wanted to recharge from the usual 6 days a week in the truck. The trip down was highlighted by the Coorong smelling like a sewer works as per usual, but once past that it was the usual dull drive on the tarmac. Had a little bit of a poke around Robe and the 4wd tracks but wasn't really interested so spent most of the time at the campsite demolishing 2 30 can blocks of West End. Will defo be going back there again and maybe next time i might feel like getting off my quoit and doing a bit of 4 wheeling.

Return to “South Australia”