Border Track SA-Vic Sept 2012

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Re: Border Track SA-Vic Sept 2012

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » July 18th, 2013, 8:54 am

Gday Col.
Have a read of this therad:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68762
There are hundreds of posts in there but it will give you all the info you could ever wish for.
As for maps, this one from Meridian shows all you need: http://www.meridianmaps.com.au/products ... _guide.asp
I bought this map online through the above link and it was posted out very quickly.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Dan.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » July 18th, 2013, 9:19 am

vazelky wrote:Looks like you guys have all had quite a few great trips on the track.
A few of us from up in north nsw coast are hoping to do a 4wd club trip down the border track area next year sometime. just wondering what is the best time of year to do the trip, and also what is the furthest north that it can be started and where is the furthest south it goes, how many kms/days is it, what are the camping areas like, etc, etc. all the usual questions i guess. can anyone recommend any books or maps that are a definite must have? We are also contemplating heading to Lovedays 4wd park and/or the Flinders ranges as part of our trip. if anyone has any ideas out there, it would be muchly appreciated. Col
Col, the map in the link Dan posted is the best one for travelling through that Vic Desert region, and covers from right up on the Murray, down to past Little Desert Nat Pk.

The Ngarkat section of the Border Track is closed from Oct 31 to April 1 for the fire season, but there are options to detour down Centre Track to avoid the one way section.
I reckon it's at its typical dry best in April, much more challenging dune driving along the way . . . whereas in Winter it is a totally different drive, with the rain providing firm sand, and depending where you go, mud !

Just did the usual Pinaroo south trip and the detour east into the Vic Parks . . . TR in this same forum posted yesterday.

I am doing the top part of the BT from the Murray to Pinnaroo next month as a day drive, just to fill in a few places.
It's not as out there as the usual Pinnaroo to Bordertown adventure, but there's still some nice driving through there in places.

Some options for you are to take a look through the Lindsay Island area up near the Murray, Meringur is a little town you can detour to, and is well worth a few hours looking at the historic village displays.
Venture into Murray Sunset Nat Pk, some nice big loops in there to do, or from near the Red Bluff camping area, head east and into Big Desert / Wyperfeld regions, some more awesome country in there.

South of Red Bluff there's probaly the most challenging dunes (about 5ks) and further south you'll find all the mud holes you want if there's been rain.

You can drive out via Pine Rd North to the SW, or take the narrow section down further and come out east onto Telopea Downs Rd.
At the bottom of that the historic Serviceton rail station is worth a look with a small detour.

Lovedays has some nice river camping, as well as the testing tracks . . . I haven't been there personally myself (not that appealing) but have heard good things.
Just watch the mud, it's very fine and apparently isn't the best for your moving mechanicals.

The Flinders is a farily big detour, but worth it if you have the time.

vazelky
Been here a while

Unread post by vazelky » July 18th, 2013, 11:28 am

Cheers for the replies Les and Dan. Much appreciated. i will definitely be getting myself that map.
One of the recommended drives that i found online starts at Nhill and finishes at Mildura. 748kms and recommended over 3 days.
http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/WestV ... Track.aspx
this is the longest one ive found so far, but i would prefer to be finishing in SA and not in VIC, but its something to work with i guess.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 18th, 2013, 2:42 pm

vazelky, if youv'e got the time and inclination, it's not too hard to drive pretty much on the Border all the way down from the old Custom's house on the northern side of the Murray to the beach down near Nelson, and along the way you can explore everything that people generally associate with 'The Border Track' AND you can add in all the interesting stuff from what is known as 'The Disputed Border' or 'The Disputed Country'.

Back when they originally mapped it out, they got it slightly wrong, at times more than just a few kms too, and it's been 'fought over' pretty much ever since - http://www.thedisputedcountry.com/ There was a Privy Council session and Ruling (in 1914 I think without checking??) that 'established it' where it is now, but there's a kink in the Nth/Sth Border at the Murray, the northern border comes down to the Murray a few kms East of where the southern border heads off south, and there is a section of the Murray that can be argued is 'no-man's land'. Check it all out in the book, I think this is the one with references to tracks and trip notes Dunn, Bob, The Disputed Country: Australia's Lost Border, Bob Dunn and John Deckert (2004)

I'd love to guide you down the Border Track, but I'm not all that reliable on fixed dates these days (retirement due to health issues does that!) but if you drop Sudso here on the Forum a PM, or check out his comments in the many threads found in the trip planning & trip reports sections on the Border track, you might even find someone who's willing to either do a mud map for you, or better yet, actually lead you down the track so you get to go thru all the best bits of the area both sides of the border as well as driving most of the border itself - and you'd probably get to see a whole lot more of the interesting parts than those ExploreOz trek notes seem to hit! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » July 18th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Col, yeah you can do the BT itself pretty much, or in that northern section Peter speaks of, do something interesting over into Lindsay Island, Meringur, Murray Sunset NP, stay at the Shearers Qtrs there for a mere $62.50 a night, and it sleeps 12 (!), go across Pheeneys Tk to Rocket Lake and down to Pink Lakes, Sunset Tk right across to the Border Tk again and down to the hwy near Pinnaroo.

We went through Boltons coming back across to the east, what was marked as a reasonable tk ended up light a bike track !
But we got through ok and that last section was quite interesting . . . prompted me to put the whole northern BT run on the cards again.

If you want to do that north section with me and maybe 6 or 7 others in Aug, drop me a PM . . . we are meetin up in Truro mid arvo and camping up at Headings Cliffs Sat night 17th, then 15 mins up to Border Cliffs and doing the Border Tk run to Pinnaroo Sun 18th.

vazelky
Been here a while

Unread post by vazelky » July 18th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Thanks again Les and Pete for all your info and help. The guys ive spoken too up here who are keen on doing this trip with me are pretty keen to head down from broken hill area, do the BT north to south, then head over to Lovedays on the way to Skytrek and then head on to Maree and then back over to nw nsw. Just gotta get some maps and go from there i guess. probably look at doing it around may next year.

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » July 19th, 2013, 3:25 pm

Im heading up from Adelaide with about 10 vehicles, Friday 16th, Saturday 17th, Sunday 18th August
Brades
--------------------------------------------------------------
2010 76 LandCruiser GXL Build-Up:
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=136912
YouTube - 76 Series Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/BradesR31

vazelky
Been here a while

Unread post by vazelky » August 14th, 2013, 11:57 pm

got all my maps now, so im ready to start planning my trip. current plan is Coffs Harbour to Cameron Corner, down the Strzelecki track into the Flinders Ranges then onto Loveday 4X4 park, then the border track Nth to Sth, and somehow back to Coffs afterwards.

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » August 15th, 2013, 9:55 am

Sounds great Vazelky.
If you have a couple of days to spare after the border track, you really should head a little further south to check out the Coorong and some of the parks around Robe / Beachport / Millicent. Beautiful areas and full of awesome 4WD tracks along the beaches and through the dunes.
Coorong National Park, Little Dip conservation park, Beachport Conservation park & Canunda National park.
Cheers, Dan.

vazelky
Been here a while

Unread post by vazelky » August 15th, 2013, 10:18 pm

Thanks Dan.
Robe had been mentioned as a possible destination after the BT. Will depend on whether anyone still has available days up their sleeve i guess.
as soon as i get the itinerary sorted a bit more and have a better idea on where we'll be staying on what nights, i will be able to add extra destinations. Cant wait

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » August 19th, 2013, 10:53 pm

Border track was amazing over the weekend! It poured the whole week prior and a little bit while we were there. The track was 85% single lane sand tracks and it was really quite easy due to the rain hardening the sand, then at the end it turned to 100% mud.

I tackled all the major mud holes and had to be pulled out twice but had soo much fun! The videos will come soon. Came home with 2 flat tires and ruined brakes but would do it again in a heartbeat. and yes you can drive around all of the mud holes and bogs if you're not into that.
1148887_10151807164841665_1560096617_n.jpg
1150311_10151807165921665_152157908_n.jpg
969479_10151807165636665_88986100_n.jpg
970537_10151807165821665_1243121679_n.jpg
529112_10151807165801665_1223595397_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brades

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » September 6th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Full video of the Border Track trip I did last month.. It was very very wet and muddy but so much fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe07jqEu ... CXzZ2P6l7w
Brades

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 6th, 2013, 3:21 pm

I dunno Brades, but I reckon there is just a tiny bit of a pattern developing here... now if I could just put my finger on what exactly it is?? :confused:

Get out into the Simpson DESERT, and who finds the only mud for 1000 km?
Get back here, who spends the weekend playing in the mud near Mt Barker?
Someone spends the weekend rebuilding the brakes cos they got chewed into uselessness by all the mud they've seen lately?!
Go to Ngarkat, who gets stuck playing in the mud?

Anything you notice that's common to them all?? :sillywink:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » September 6th, 2013, 3:30 pm

I think there may be a trend developing! I like to say i've learnt my lesson but I just can't lie!!! haha

Hope you are well! Should hit the tracks again soon!
Brades

Buckman
Avid Poster

Unread post by Buckman » October 3rd, 2013, 9:56 am

It is that time of year again. Heading on the annual trek from Pinnaroo to Bordertown via the border! 6 vehicles this trip and a couple of guys that haven't been on the Border Track before. They have both witnessed mud first hand from our time working the APY Lands so hoping there is still some around this weekend. I have a dash cam this time so stand by for video and photos!

Return to “South Australia”