Border Track SA-Vic Sept 2012

Brades
Been here a while

Re: Border Track SA-Vic Sept 2012

Unread post by Brades » July 1st, 2013, 12:49 pm

Awesome! Heading up there with the 76 on the 3rd weekend in August!
Brades
--------------------------------------------------------------
2010 76 LandCruiser GXL Build-Up:
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=136912
YouTube - 76 Series Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/BradesR31

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 1st, 2013, 1:55 pm

Drop Sudso here on the Forum a PM well before you go Brades. He will be able to give you the latest info on the track, the good stuff, the bad stuff, even the mediocre stuff; and who knows, you might even get someone local to go along with you and show you some of the secret squirrel places that only the locals and a few privileged others know about! ;)

As for the puddles along the track, no matter how innocent they look, if they are longer &/or wider than the vehicle and you can see the bottom, CHECK THEM CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING! Some of them are deep enough to entirely swallow even a lifted vehicle!!!! :eek: Best to make sure before you enter, it could save you a lot of anguish/monetary loss over a destroyed vehicle, not to mention the long walk back to town to get help!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » July 1st, 2013, 3:34 pm

Pete, You mean this kind of bigger , longer, wider , deeper :eek: ................ only wetter :lol:

03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 1st, 2013, 4:17 pm

Them's the one's!! :eek:

Get enough water/rain down that way & it can spread right out over the surrounding low ground, making that sort of hole look just like a long shallow puddle, and walking the edges won't let you find out that it's 1.8m or more deep in the middle, just where you will want to drive if you don't walk your wheel tracks - and then pics of that car leaning on a steep angle in the middle of what looks like a big shallow puddle can mean that the vehicle is right on the edge of the deep hole, or worse, it can either drive straight in or topple upside down into the deep hole!! Either is fairly terminal for the vehicle, and could also be terminal for the occupants of the vehicle!

So walk the track you intend to drive thru any puddle that is wider/longer than the vehicle &/or where you can't see the bottom (that muddy water hides a lot) - btw, be warned it's often no good poking a stick into it either, that hump in the middle can hide the even deeper wheel tracks, and unless you've got 35" tyres or bigger on a lifted vehicle with portal axles, that sort of hole can be a real stopper, in more ways than you'd expect!

Take care down there, talk to Sudso or one of the other locals who know where those holes are and which way around them is safest, or if it's so bad you shouldn't drive that particular section at all. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sparkys » July 1st, 2013, 10:27 pm

And be aware that even if you've been there before, the holes can get a LOT deeper in a short time and may be nothing like you remember! But don't let all of this talk scare you from going, it's still a barrel of fun! I had a ball anyway.....

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » July 2nd, 2013, 12:20 pm

Thanks Pete for the heads up and I'll send Sudso a PM closer to the date when we confirm dates with our crew.

Chris_stoffa - That hole is enormous! I'll be travelling in my 76 series and with a mate in a GU with 5" Lift and 35s, might leave the holes like that up to him and just cruise around it, guessing there will be a fair bit more water when we head up for the trip in August!

Sparkys - Really looking forward to it, will get a heap of footage and put some video together like usual!
Brades

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » July 2nd, 2013, 3:23 pm

Sparkys wrote: That photo of the Triton shows a puddle between Shaughs Track and Red Bluff Track and was responsible for mud being plastered all over me yesterday, it's a lot deeper than I've seen it before.
That's the one Sparkys!
Found this video of the same puddle on Youtube last night, from the week before we went through: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReDyfqFt3ys
As Peter has said, there can be multiple tracks through these holes and as happened with the Triton, the track that was picked consisted of 2x wheels in a deep track on the left and 2x wheels in a shallow track on the right. Toppling over is a real risk and if you topple into a puddle, it could be a very sad and messy outcome indeed!
I avoided the mudholes like the plague. Our 4WD was already dirty enough as it is, and I don't fancy doing premature alternator, bearing and brake replacements ;)
Cheers, Dan.

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » July 2nd, 2013, 4:05 pm

haha this is just making me more and more keen to get up there!
Brades

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » July 2nd, 2013, 4:21 pm

Brades wrote:haha this is just making me more and more keen to get up there!

So it should, it's not meant to put you off , just make you aware :thumb:

Just in case you get a rush of................. :lol:
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » July 2nd, 2013, 6:55 pm

chris_stoffa wrote:it's not meant to put you off , just make you aware :thumb:
Definitely!
You can drive around all of the bog holes from Pinnaroo to Emu flat Road, so there's no excuse for being silly and getting stuck in a hole!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 2nd, 2013, 7:02 pm

Has anyone else noticed that a real 'rush of adrenalin' is brown and smelly & leaks out of your shorts? Betcha the Triton driver was close to finding that out if not already there - or at least any left hand side passengers in his car would've been when it started leaning like that! :eek:

:D

80Butts
Avid Poster

Unread post by 80Butts » July 4th, 2013, 7:55 pm

The triton owner was on the left. he was giving his wife a drive and thats how the ended up where they did..
Just further to the left of where the ute pulled up it got much deeper ( over waist high) so it was actually quite fortunate they didnt continue to slip or topple. The two kids were in the back seat, the younger one asleep the older of the two thought it a little funny that her gumboots were starting to get wet. Then proceeded to tell her parents that Daddy was silly for letting Mummy drive.

Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sparkys » July 5th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Lol!

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » July 12th, 2013, 8:58 pm

Heading down here tomorrow (Sat 13/7) with 6 or 7 other vehicles, Sturt hwy to Red Bluff camp, and likely down a bit to check out the holes a little . . . will post up some pics and a bit of a report on the track.

From Red Bluff Sunday we're then heading across to Murrayville tk, Chinamans Well tk to Pella, then up and around Lake Albacutya and maybe a cross it (if dry enough) and back the the blacktop at Nhill to head home.

Can't wait to see what it's like wet, have only ever done it within a week or two of it opening April a couple of times.

vazelky
Been here a while

Unread post by vazelky » July 18th, 2013, 12:34 am

Looks like you guys have all had quite a few great trips on the track.
A few of us from up in north nsw coast are hoping to do a 4wd club trip down the border track area next year sometime. just wondering what is the best time of year to do the trip, and also what is the furthest north that it can be started and where is the furthest south it goes, how many kms/days is it, what are the camping areas like, etc, etc. all the usual questions i guess. can anyone recommend any books or maps that are a definite must have? We are also contemplating heading to Lovedays 4wd park and/or the Flinders ranges as part of our trip. if anyone has any ideas out there, it would be muchly appreciated. Col

Return to “South Australia”