Mini-Trip Gone Wrong (Adelaide - Goolwa Beach)

moparcm
Been here a while

Re: Mini-Trip Gone Wrong (Adelaide - Goolwa Beach)

Unread post by moparcm » November 13th, 2012, 8:26 pm

well you are not supposed to drive in the dunes so if they get caught they should suffer the concquences. i live at goolwa also and have seen a few 2wd get stuck down and refuse to help them when it clearly states at the top of the ramp 4WD only past this point.i also heard that the beach could possibly be shut if these idiots keep driving thru the dunes.

gunk
Avid Poster

Unread post by gunk » November 30th, 2012, 10:38 am

It is reasonably easy in a 2WD...if there is a bit of weight over the driving wheels and you have the option of driving on the harder ground instead of being so high up in the soft stuff that your scraping the wall. Things that were difficult in the rodeo with no weight in the back are easy when loaded with about 300kg and even easier in the 80 series.

The entrance is fine in something like a commodore as long as it's not lowered. I did dozens of "4wd only" tracks in my VT commodore and when I got stuck usually letting a bit of air out the tyres was enough to get me out.

craig-mtb
Been here a while

Unread post by craig-mtb » September 4th, 2013, 5:12 pm

I enjoyed reading this post as i have been down to goolwa many times and had many escapades such as this with radiators splitting way down at the mouth and all sorts in the middle of the night. Its always all in good fun hey! I have seen a bunch of people get stuck in big as 100 series and stuff with gear down on the entrance there along with many many cars coming back up because people just don't understand speed is the key through there. i have also seen some 2 wheel drive cars down the moth with trailers and on an incredibly soft day seen a for territory carving up over the pipe near the end which is definitely the hardest part when its dry.
For those who decide to take their commodores onto the beach and don't understand the concept of "give it the beans" everyone should help them out, just give the the snatch of a lifetime and they wont do it again after it feels like you almost ripped their car in half :p
Also the guy that sits down there offering recovery's for money, good idea, badly executed really.. someone will always help down there on a busy day!
2004 Hilux Dual Cab. Bullbar,Lightforce,33s,SAS,3-Link

fishwenican
Avid Poster

Unread post by fishwenican » September 6th, 2013, 7:58 am

I agree with being fined if caught again and fined heavily.
the sign says 4wd only, when will fools actually abide by these rules and not me the menace and nuisance when they enter
these areas. Then whinge and whine when they become bogged.
Too many times I have tried to enter or exit the beach at Goolwa only to fine some idiot in their 2wd bogged.
What are these idiots thinking. Where else do they take their pride and joy ...I wonder !!!!!!
The entrance in summer when dry and well used is a soft bog hole and 2wd`s aren't welcome.......simple as that....
when will people read signs ????

craig-mtb
Been here a while

Unread post by craig-mtb » September 6th, 2013, 11:35 am

I don't think we should cut into the people taking 2wd's down there as there have been may who have gotten in and out successfully, I have seen more people with their 4x4s getting just as stuck, if not more stuck on the entrance because the driver doesn't know what they're doing, people back off when they hit a little bump or the car doesn't turn as its pulling the wheels along in a rut rather than just keep being heavy on the right foot.
2004 Hilux Dual Cab. Bullbar,Lightforce,33s,SAS,3-Link

Return to “South Australia”