Mini-Trip Gone Wrong (Adelaide - Goolwa Beach)

gunk
Avid Poster

Mini-Trip Gone Wrong (Adelaide - Goolwa Beach)

Unread post by gunk » July 1st, 2012, 12:42 am

Today I bought an air compressor and of course I wanted to test it out straight away. Being environmentally conscious I didn't want to waste a finite resource like the air in my tyres for no reason, so I decided to use a few litres of that lovely expendable resource, petroleum, and get the car to Goolwa beach where it would be worthwhile letting out that precious air. Since it wasn't far and I knew the car was in good running order, I just did the basic checks, oil level, tyre pressures, enough petrol and off I went.

I arrived about 7:30 PM, I'd come at night because that's when the tide is lowest at the moment, screwed on all my staun deflators to bring me down to 15psi, then I went down on to the beach and as most of it was pretty well compacted, I stayed in 4-Hi most of the time.

All was going well, I drove all the way to the end, turned around and started heading back. The tide was at it's second high and there is one small section, maybe 50m long that gets quite narrow. Just as I was passsing through the narrowest part of all, a big wave came in and hit my passenger side. No big deal, just slowed me down for a moment and I continued back to the car park.

I pulled out my timer then started setting up the air compressor. I was just going to time how long it took me to set up, air up, pack up and get going again. I hooked it up to the first tyre, fired it up and boy was I happy when it was all aired up faster than at some servos. Hooked it up to the second tyre and fired it up again.

pt.pt.pt.pt.pt.pt.pt.pt..pt..pt..pt..pt...pt...pt...pt...pt.....put.....put.....put.............put............put.............then my car engine cuts out and I quickly turn off the compressor. I waited about 30 seconds and try and start the car again but sure enough it's dead flat.

I packed everything up, managed to push start it in the car park and headed off to the servo around the corner with just my parkers on hoping that the alternator might kick back in to life after a spray with WD40 and a bit of running but I was out of luck. My only option was to buy a new battery and hope it got me home.

I installed the new battery, aired up my tyres using the servos compressor and off I went. I did make it home in the end but only just and not with my headlights running for the last stretch. Not sure what I would have done if I had to be towed since I had the baby in the back and there was probably no way of mounting her seat in the tow truck. I would probably also have been stabbed in the leg by the nearest bic pen or screwdriver that my OH could get her hands on.

and now for the final kick in the groin...

In the bit where the wave hit, I had no option but to drive up high in the really soft stuff and make a run for it between the waves. I was thinking at the time it was much slower than it should have been but it didn't really bother me. It wasn't until I was back here in my warm room while thinking about how in my hurry to get home I had forgotten to unlock my front hubs, that a further stupefying thought occurred, I couldn't remember locking them in the first place!

In my hurry to get on the beach and get back to try out my compressor, I had indeed forgotten to lock my hubs and done the whole lot in 2WD. If I had just locked them I would have been able to get through much faster and probably would not have soaked my altenator.

Right now I feel like a tool. In particular I feel like the sort you get for $1 each at your local bargain shop that never do the job without a great deal of effort and slight damage to the thing your trying to work on.

paulyg
Here and there

Re: Mini-Trip Gone Wrong (Adelaide - Goolwa Beach)

Unread post by paulyg » July 1st, 2012, 6:01 pm

Sorry to hear about your problems, did the alternator come good? I have also been hit by a wave Goolwa beach, no damage but can be a bit scary.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » July 1st, 2012, 6:46 pm

Whoa boy Gunk, glad you got out of that one ok.
So it was you and the bubs travelling, was OH with you ?

Not engage 4wd, have done that once myself.
Left overnight camp and driving back to the beaches, found some soft sand on a track (at Little Dip), was giving me a bit of trouble, then realised still in 2wd.
Not hard to do.

Had a chance to get the alternator checked ?

gunk
Avid Poster

Unread post by gunk » July 2nd, 2012, 2:12 pm

I pulled the alternator out and gave all the contacts a good scrub but it's dead. Looks a bit rusty too so I ordered a new one. I'm getting a custom one made up to 70A rather than the standard 55A and it's not costing me a cent more. It came to $280 and I should have it this afternoon.

I've also asked them if they can supply me with a spare internal regulator as that's the most likely thing to go. What I probably should have done now I've thought about it more is ask them if they could supply me one with an external regulator but I suppose I won't have this car for too much longer anyway so I'll get a much bigger and better one made up when I get the new car.

gunk
Avid Poster

Unread post by gunk » July 2nd, 2012, 2:13 pm

Bubs and OH were with me. Both handled it very well considering that I was the only one that really wanted to go for a drive that night.

Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sparkys » July 4th, 2012, 10:01 am

That's a pretty good price for the alternator, you've done well.

Goolwa beach is usually 2WD friendly, you only need 4WD at the last section when it's dry. I've often taken a 2WD vehicle down there.

Landcruiser Marley
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Landcruiser Marley » September 28th, 2012, 9:15 pm

thats funny you should say that...ive done 3 recoveries myself there......all were people with 2wd passenger cars....one in particular a commodore with 4 people pulling a trailor with a quad in the back. summertime is hectic on the down track. be wary of locals as some charge u $300 to pull u out off the beach. Not myself as im a local business owner and would never try to profit from someones misfortune....help all fellow 4wders in need i say, it'll come back when u most need help youself!

Tired Triton
Avid Poster

Unread post by Tired Triton » October 20th, 2012, 8:35 pm

people who use 2wd cars are a nuisance on our local beach, Goolwa. They get bogged on the entrance between car park and beach, and thus endanger lives especially when the ses need to get out there and rescuscitate drowning victims or heart attack victims. The "4wd only" sign is there for a reason.

uninhibited
Avid Poster

Unread post by uninhibited » October 20th, 2012, 11:16 pm

Tired Triton wrote:people who use 2wd cars are a nuisance
There, I fixed it for you.
All knowledge is solvent in alcohol.

Brades
Been here a while

Unread post by Brades » October 25th, 2012, 10:55 am

Bugga to hear about the issues on the beach!

I was down there last week and the entrance was.... ok.. Could make it through easily in a fourby even in 2wd but there was two Toyota Hiace vans being pushed back onto the beach after obviously flexing it through the bumps to get down onto the beach but were having some serious difficulty getting them off, I wasn't sticking around to help them out, there was already a bucket load of people pushing the van, some people just don't think and even up ruining the entrance for everyone.

Back in January when i was in the hilux, I had to pull out a Suburu Outback (AWD not 4wd) who had managed to get himself bogged right at the entrance at the thin part and there was a jam of cars on both sides trying to enter and leave. The Outback was bogged down to the axles because as soon as the moron stopped, he decided to floor it and dissipate any remnants of sand around his tyres..
Brades
--------------------------------------------------------------
2010 76 LandCruiser GXL Build-Up:
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=136912
YouTube - 76 Series Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/BradesR31
--------------------------------------------------------------

Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sparkys » October 25th, 2012, 6:00 pm

Lol at comments RE 2WD. I've used a 2WD car to pull out a 4WD car at Goolwa. Goolwa sand is like concrete.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 25th, 2012, 6:23 pm

^^ Yeah Sparkys, but you at least have some idea about how to drive on anything but bitumen or concrete!! I'm not at all sure that some of the people who get their 2WD/AWD's bogged on the Goolwa beach should even be allowed to drive anywhere~~, let alone on a beach that's made of sand! :irked:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Laidley 62 Series
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Laidley 62 Series » October 25th, 2012, 7:50 pm

@ Marley, Mate I am like you I believe in KARMA, sometimes it does not hurt to help someone else out especially when they have young children and babies in the vehicle with them, at times you get them up at Double Island where the barge comes in and they are in AWDs and have no tow points, hopeless.

@ Peter, Great to see your face in the recent mag. I appreciated the comments about the G Q although I am solidily a 60 fan as some of you may know, but I have no probs with the G Q.

Happy Trails.

David.
1985 F J 62, barn doors, poverty pack.

My Karma ran over my Dogma.

God created the 60 Series, man made the rest.

60 Series trip to Cape York 2013.

Landcruiser Marley
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Landcruiser Marley » October 25th, 2012, 11:36 pm

yep the sand on 80 percent of the beach is firm but in the summer months, the down track gets ripped up and boggy. ford territory type awd get bogged, ive pushed a captiva out and all the lady needed to do was push the electric traction button....it gets hectic on a hot sunday arvo with cars lined up on the beach to exit and garunteed someone gets bogged every 20 mins in peak holidays. but ive also seen a Subaru Impreza all the way down the mouth.....with no clearance at all...... anyway beware as a lot of people drive the dunes aroung the back of the mouth but as of late, the area has been patrolled by the local security contractor for the council....so watch out for the white Hilux security guy. cheers

Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sparkys » October 26th, 2012, 10:25 am

^^A mate got done by him a couple weeks back, they took his license details and said if he is caught there again they would impound his car and he would cop a $1,200 fine (or in that vicinity).

Return to “South Australia”