Chambers Gorge

KUN26R
Here and there

Chambers Gorge

Unread post by KUN26R » June 20th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Hi all, on the QB long weekend the wife and I along with my two boy's headed up to Chambers Gorge for a couple of days.
We left home early arvo on friday, and arrived at Chambers Gorge campsite at around 8:00. The weather forecast for the weekend was fine with clear day's and cold nights, and trying to get the fire going and set up the tent in about zero degrees, I'd say they got it about right.
In the morning we woke to a clear sky and when the sun came up we were very grateful for the warmth!! (all be it a couple of degrees!)

Getting the fire going

Morning sun on Mount Chambers

After we got breakky out the way, we headed off to check out Stirrup Iron Range. It was only a 20 - 30 min drive, although they do provide camping there, we were happy.
We met Julie, after paying our $40, and recieving some route info we headed off. We drove east along the base of the ranges, then turned left and headed up into the hills.
Now this is by no means a difficult track, there were a few spots that need a little care. The main thing with this track is the rock, it is rough and very slow going. With a short lunch stop, we travelled 25km in around 5hrs.
The views on this drive were bloody great, we had a super clear day and no wind at all. Some of the camp spots up in the range were amazing.

This is a view from one of the camps along the drive. Looking south west you can see lake frome on the horizon.

Looking south

South west view

Heading 'home' after a days 'work'

Arriving back at camp we got the fire turned op to about 11, ready for the cold night ahead. The wind really looked after us with hardly any too speak of at all.
We got a couple of steaks cooked, (timed with a couple of tins) and chowed down. (followed by a couple more tins) After a great night with a few camp songs, a couple of beers and reds and a roaring fire, we decided to call it a night.
Sunday morning came and upon unzipping the tent, we were greeted with another beautiful morning.
Got the fire crankin again and whipped up some bacon & eggs+.
Today we were gonna climb Mount Chambers. We started climbing up the side (later finding out there is the proper track on the opposite end) and couldn't get all the way up. Awesome views anyway.

We then clambered down the side and headed up the gorge for a look. We went about a couple of k's along it, there was still a bit of water lying about.

After we got back to camp and had some lunch, we headed up a small offshoot of the gorge where we saw some very impressive aborigional carvings.
The sun dropped behind the horizon again, and with the fire again roaring, we got organised, this time with cheffy knocking up a beef caserole, later topped off with a great damper. (and of course a couple of tins)

Here are a couple of more shots from around the camp.

Monday morning came and the worst bit about camping, is the leaving, so we set off to home, quickly detouring to find the real acess to the top of Mount Chambers. Managed to lock the hubs in again just one more time before we left, (sorta got 'lost' looking around)
Great trip, we will definately be back at some stage.

Scott.
(think I've got it this time!!)
Last edited by KUN26R on June 21st, 2012, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muffin man
Here and there

Re: Chambers Gorge

Unread post by muffin man » June 21st, 2012, 9:01 am

And a bloody good job indeed.
That weekend we had a fire at home and we were commenting that no matter where you were that weekend the weather was awesome, that's SA of course.
MM

80Butts
Avid Poster

Unread post by 80Butts » June 21st, 2012, 9:43 am

I couldnt see all the pics. maybe copy and paste the IMG code from photobucket and then they will show on page.

Anyway, I'm sure they are nice photos, you'd have to be blind not to get a good one at Chambers Gorge.
Its a beaut place and I'm looking forward to taking my family there soon. I just took them for a drive on the weekend from Port Augusta over to quorn and then back home to Adelaide and my wife was somewhat surprised at how beautiful it is in the southern flinders. It certainly helped that the weather has been as good as it has. The appetite has been whet nonetheless. Its been a while since my last proper trip to the flinders

KUN26R
Here and there

Unread post by KUN26R » June 21st, 2012, 12:23 pm

Sorry about that, I thought it all went a bit too smoothly. :ooh:
I did copy and paste the code but I've done something different to a few of them :chimp:
What pictures can you see?

KUN26R
Here and there

Unread post by KUN26R » June 21st, 2012, 1:24 pm

My bad :redface:
Apparently the IMG code is not the IMG thumb???
I've edited the first post now so hopfully it is all good!
Cheers.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » June 21st, 2012, 5:37 pm

Great stuff Scott, that's one area of the northern Flinders that I have not got out to see, and it looks like brilliant country.

80Butts
Avid Poster

Unread post by 80Butts » June 21st, 2012, 7:32 pm

That sorted it. great pics.
Cant wait to visit there again. thanks for sharing

BAZZOOK
Here and there

Unread post by BAZZOOK » January 22nd, 2014, 8:11 am

CAMPED UNDER THE SAME TREE ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO. A TOP SPOT AND FREE.

SAW HEAPS OF GOATS THEN TOO

Return to “South Australia”